Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 8:43 pm

17-year-old student kills sixth grader, wounds five others in Iowa school shooting, police say

Quote:
17-year-old opened fire at a small-town Iowa high school before classes resumed on the first day after the winter break, killing a sixth-grader and wounding five others Thursday as students barricaded in offices, ducked into classrooms and fled in panic.

The suspect, a student at the school in Perry, died of what investigators believe is a self-inflicted gunshot wound, an Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation official said. Authorities said one of the five people wounded was an administrator, later identified by his alma mater as Perry High School Principal Dan Marburger.

Authorities identified the shooter as Dylan Butler, 17, and provided no information about a possible motive. Two friends and their mother who spoke with The Associated Press said Butler was a quiet person who had been bullied for years.

Authorities said Butler had a pump-action shotgun and a small-caliber handgun. Mitch Mortvedt, the state investigation division’s assistant director, said during a news conference that authorities also found a “pretty rudimentary” improvised explosive device and rendered it safe.

The suspect’s motive is being investigated and authorities are looking into “a number of social media posts” he made around the time of the shooting, Mortvedt added.

A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation said federal and state investigators are interviewing Butler’s friends and analyzing Butler’s social media profiles, including posts on TikTok and Reddit, as they work to identify a motive.

Shortly before Thursday’s shooting, Butler posted a photo on TikTok inside the bathroom of Perry High School, the official said. The photo was captioned “now we wait” and the song “Stray Bullet” by the German band KMFDM accompanied it. Investigators have also found other photos Butler posted posing with firearms, according to the official, who was not authorized to publicly discuss details of the investigation and spoke to AP on condition of anonymity.

Sisters Yesenia Roeder and Khamya Hall, both 17, said alongside their mother, Alita, that Butler was bullied relentlessly since elementary school, but it escalated recently when his younger sister started getting picked on, too. Officials at the school didn’t intervene, they said, and that was “the last straw” for Butler.

“He was hurting. He got tired. He got tired of the bullying. He got tired of the harassment,” Yesenia Roeder Hall, 17, said. “Was it a smart idea to shoot up the school? No. God, no.”

Right-wing influencers seem happy that Iowa school shooter might be LGBTQ+
Quote:
Following a tragic Thursday morning Iowa shooting at Perry High School in the town of Perry, where one child was killed, multiple people were seriously injured, and the suspected shooter died of a presumed self-inflicted wound, right-wing extremists and influencers have centered on the shooter’s speculated LGBTQ+ identity based on a Pride flag emoji on a since- disabled TikTok profile.

Chaya Raichik, known for running the anti-LGBTQ+ Libs of TikTok social media accounts, began posting hours before the shooter was identified, alleging him to be gender fluid, based upon a hashtag allegedly included in the person’s social media footprint. She later posted a meme inaccurately linking several mass shooters to the LGBTQ+ community. Elon Musk amplified this idea on the platform X, formerly Twitter.

Crucially, the meme included a photo that it claimed was the shooter from the 2022 Uvalde, Texas, school massacre. The shooter was not the person in the image and was not transgender.

Later, Raichik posted from her Libs of TikTok account, “This is the trans genderfluid te*ror*st who shot up a school in Iowa today. Trans extremists are a serious threat. The media will bury this.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 04 Jan 2024, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 8:54 pm

Jesus Fuckkking H Christ.

What the hell is wrong with these people?!

I've been bullied too FFS - far worse than any teenager these days - and I don't go around murdering children.

The world has gone mad.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 10:16 pm

Well, damnit. I always thought that someday the mass shooting nationwide tour would eventually come to my state. These occurrences are just so predictable at this point.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2024, 3:45 pm

Why aren't all of these school shooters being labelled as the domestic terrorists they are? Then the USA can do something about it by directing its armed forces to solve the problem as part of it's War On Terror.

That's some crazy BS to blame trans people. Idiots.

As for WHY bullied kids are shooting up schools.. when there are more guns than people in your country it's awfully easy to resort to gun violence to resolve any problem you may have. That's WHY. Because guns are f*****g everywhere.

At least politicians will offer up empty thoughts and prayers that will do so much to help vs. things like, oh, I dunno.. basic gun control legislation. Profits, and more importantly, campaign contributions from the gun lobby, are DEFINITELY far more important than kids' lives. Duh.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 10:17 am

Iowa principal who risked his life to protect students dies 10 days after high school shooting

Quote:
The beloved principal who was injured after a gunman opened fire at a high school in Iowa has died after 10 days in the hospital.

Principal Dan Marburger was among the three staff members and four students who were injured on Jan. 4 when a 17-year-old student opened fire at Perry High School in the small community of Perry, Iowa.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

David1346
Raven
Raven

15 Jan 2024, 2:04 pm

I was a teacher for 32 years. One of the reasons I quit was because my district had pivoted away from drills regarding what to do during a lock down situation in which one or more active assailants were on campus to learning how to cope in the aftermath of a school shooting. The idea that school shootings are likely inevitable was a profoundly shocking and demoralizing idea.

I am (or was) a dual certified teacher. I was an elementary teacher for 17 years. I was a Culinary Arts teacher for 15 years. I AM NOT a trained counselor. I AM NOT a crisis counselor; and yet my former employer required me and the estimated 17,000 other teachers in my district, to learn how to emotionally triage students between those most at risk for self harm (suicide) and those who "merely" needed support.

Since I'm autistic and already faced challenges and stressors in dealing with normal day to day instructional activities, I would have been completely out of depth in dealing with student emotional trauma in the aftermath of a school shooting.

According to US News (January 5, 2024), between 2018 and 2023, some 1,073 people were shot and either killed or wounded at a U.S. public school. If you're a Brit who is reading this post, a public school in the United States is what you would call a state school.

Just last year in 2023, there were 346 incidents of gun violence in our nation's schools.

Our do-nothing Congress has not done anything to restrict the use of firearms in this country. Part of the problem is that the 2nd Amendment was badly worded.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution says, "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

What this actually means is unclear.

Conservatives say that citizens have a right to bear arms.

Everyone else says that the amendment speaks of a militia. At the time this amendment was ratified in 1791, the army of the United States consisted of just one regiment of infantry and another of artillery. Since there was no plausible way for these regulars to defend the entire nation, the national defense relied upon local militias who could be mustered at need.

I will also point out that at this point in history, there was no appreciable difference between the muskets that were available to citizens and the weaponry that was used by the army. Muskets were single shot weapons. A good soldier was expected to load and fire a weapon at least 3 times in the space of a minute. In contrast to a musket, an AR-15 assault rifle can fire 60 rounds in a minute. The addition of a bump stock and the use of a drum magazine can increase this firing rate to 100 rounds in a minute.

Whereas it would take about 20 seconds for an 18th century soldier to load a musket, a magazine on an AR-15 can be switched out in 3 seconds.

While our politicians continue to argue over the meaning of the 2nd Amendment; students, teachers, building administrators, and staff members continue to die in our nation's schools.