Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jess_bian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jan 2024, 8:31 am

I was in college for about 5 years before dropping out due to major burnout. Now I'm 23, turning 24 this year, and jobless. I live with my parents rent-free, so luckily I do not have to worry about that, but I would like to find a job with health insurance before I'm 26. My last job lasted a couple months, produce department in a grocery store, but ended with me freaking out and yelling at the boss. I worked very well, but just couldn't handle the stress. I need a job with health insurance to sustain my therapy and psychiatry or else I won't be able to function. I honestly think I'm f****d. I can't work with customers and can't work in a job that's too stressful or I'll just meltdown or burnout again. I get automatically taken off my parents' insurance at 26 and I don't know how I'm able to survive. I need to find a job I can work for a long time so I can afford my medication, but I don't know how I am going to do that with no degree or social skills.

David1346
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2024, 9:08 am

I'm not sure I understand why you have specified a need for a job in the health industry. I understand your need to receive therapy but any job that offers health benefits will provide you with access to therapy.

You might try googling "(name of your state) autism support services". Most, if not all states, have some sort of autism support service. The quality of these services will vary from one state to another. Most offer some type of support that may include job training or even job matchup.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2024, 4:12 pm

Only advice I can give is think less 'job' and more 'career'. Consider your shortcomings and your interests. Consider where you live. Identify an industry that might suit you, then focus on it.
That's your best chance in the long term. It'll give you a chance to focus on building a strong set of skills and experiences that you can sell to each new boss. That'll increase your value, which will increase your security.
Better than trying to get a succession of different/unrelated jobs where the only thing you can tell the next potential boss is that at least you had a job.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 1:58 am

Depending on what state you live in, you might be able to get Medicaid or an HMO-type plan that is paid for by Medicaid. This type of insurance is very good, often better than what you can get from your employment, and doesn't cost anything. States like New York and New Jersey have expanded Medicaid that provides this type of insurance to low or no income people. Texas, where I live, does not. It varies by state.

Struggle7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Jan 2024, 1:23 am

David1346 wrote:
I'm not sure I understand why you have specified a need for a job in the health industry. I understand your need to receive therapy but any job that offers health benefits will provide you with access to therapy.

You might try googling "(name of your state) autism support services". Most, if not all states, have some sort of autism support service. The quality of these services will vary from one state to another. Most offer some type of support that may include job training or even job matchup.

He never specified wanting a job in the health care industry. He said he needs a job with health care benefits. Two different things. In the U.S., health insurance, for most people, is connected to their jobs.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 3:04 pm

If you can't work with customers, then it depends what jobs are too high stress or not for you. You can make a career avoiding people by working with tools, materials, machines, chemicals etc while generally avoiding people.

You could become a Tradesman (construction) or Technician of some sort (automotive) and work with tools and materials. You could work in logistics and simply move things around (fork lift driver) or hand lifting/sorting/order picking work. You could operate a printing press or an excavator or any other type of machine that produces something whether packaging or a hole in the ground. You could work making up batches of cleaning products or preparing daily bread - chemicals need to be combined and processed to produce all goods. You could work in a manufacturing environment, possibly in a repetitive job making something all shift, or in quality control analyzing product samples to ensure they're on spec. Or you could become a programmer or video editor or or or or or... or maybe you're good and quick at cleaning and take on custodial or janitorial work/contracts. Or maybe you like repairing and maintaining machines and become a millwright. Or maybe you assemble bicycles. Or detail and polish aircraft. Or become a marine mechanic. Or a welder. Or an underwater welder. Or maybe you become a rope access technician and climb towers to install cell phone antennas. Or maybe you get a fly in fly out job and work in forestry, oil & gas, or mining somewhere - fly in, work 10-12h/day every day for 2-3 weeks, fly out and take a rest. Or maybe you get a job gutting fish and freezing them on a commercial fishing ship and stay floating about the ocean for months at a time. Or cleaning the kitchen on a cruise ship. Or doing automotive bodywork. Or spraying texture on new ceilings. Or damp proofing foundations before walls start getting framed. Or being a professional driver hauling whatever needs hauling. Or handling shipping & receiving for some small operation to make sure their goods get shipped out to the correct addresses. Or maybe you rove store to store doing merchandising work for some marketing company. Or maybe you're great at Internet marketing and manage google & Facebook ads for local firms. Or maybe you're a security guard/night watchman. Or maybe you're a tie setter or painter. Maybe you don't like painting walls and become an industrial painter spraying bridges and large infrastructure to protect from rust - someone has to repaint offshore oil platforms. Maybe you drive the "honey wagon," and clean out and refresh port-o-potties on job sites. (They do get paid above average money - and many dirty jobs pay well.) Or maybe you do demolition, or work as a swamper on a garbage truck picking up trash.. or work for the city doing some sort of landscape maintenance or picking up recycling. Or load/unload baggage at the airport. Or be some sort of technician in the film industry - could be on set, could be pre-shoot building/prop making, could be post production editing, CGI, sound etc. Or maybe you're a crane operator, or lift (elevator) operator on construction sites.. or maybe you change tires, or oil, or inspect aircraft for cracks, or rebuild jet engines, or service elevators and escalators, or rebuild hydraulic cylinders, or calibrate instrumentation in industrial environments, or operate a grading machine on a road paving crew, or drive along and drop cones & "candles," closing lanes of highways before work begins, or paint lines in parking lots, or pressure wash buildings, or hydroblast heavy duty equipment, or clean grease traps and vents, or finish concrete, or install signs, or change light bulbs on street lamp posts, or drive a street sweeper truck, or maybe you're a porter in a hospital, or facilities maintenance person on a University campus, or a power linesman installing and maintaining cables through mountain ranges, or a train conductor, marine pilot, railway maintenance guy trimming back brush or greasing axles..

There are virtually endless occupations & professions to choose from in all sorts of industries. There are going to be jobs that don't even exist yet, too. There are also MANY of these jobs that require near zero customer interaction and many of them that require near zero Human interaction. So many can have all communication done in writing/email/text and avoid in person conversations or telephone conversations. There are WAY too many jobs to choose from. You have to determine what sort of occupation you're cut out for, mentally, physically. What sort of environment you want to work in - indoors, outdoors, a factory, moving job to job ? Whether you want to work with building things, making things, cleaning, a desk job.. during the day, at night, in the mountains or on the ocean etc. Only you can begin to narrow things down. And hell, maybe your criteria is that it's within walking distance of where you live and that narrows things down to a couple dozen employers and whatever they have available.