Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 11:27 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. :)

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 6:06 pm

Here in California, we're advised to be cautious when walking in high-brush areas - esp. with Spring upon us when Rattlesnake sightings become more common.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 8:44 pm

Fun Fact: In the Disney adaption of The Jungle Book they made Kaa the python into a villain when in the original book he was one of Mowgli's allies, because Disney felt its audience would not sympathize with a snake character.

Also in the original book Kaa could hypnotize other animals but not Mowgli, because like all the other animals in the book he could not make long eye contact with a human.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 4:07 pm

Actually, I've been more concerned about mice than snakes lately - mice are prey for snakes.

A few months ago, I had mice in my living-space - this appears to have been largely resolved via pest control services, and blocking more and more points were rodents have entered (and hopefully exited).

The snakes that become more common in the Spring might just be a plus to keep rodent populations under control.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 8:50 pm

I like them and they eat lots of rodents.I always have trouble with rats getting in sheds in the winter but not when the snakes are out.
I am careful and during snake season watch where I step and never stick my hand where I can’t see.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2024, 9:35 pm

When I was growing up my father kept a burlap sack in the trunk of the car. If he saw a black snake or a rat snake in the road he would stop and catch it and release it in our barn. I used to have a family of black snakes that lived under my house. They would venture out to lay in the sun; this was their demise as there are a lot of hawks and eagles that preyed on them. I am not afraid of snakes but I do have a healthy respect for them especially until I can identify what kind they are.

Princess Viola
Toucan
Toucan

24 Mar 2024, 7:08 pm

I love snakes, they're so cool.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 2:39 am

I'm seriously thinking about building a snake den out in the pasture so that the various snakes around, including rattlesnakes, can have a comfortable place to spend the winter.

It doesn't need to be "warm", but it does need to be warmer than freezing.

I'm thinking about digging a hole about six feet wide and a foot and a half thick and tmaybe three feet deep and hen layering in cinder blocks to make an underground cavern for them along with some larger rocks piled on top and dirt filling in the north sides leaving multiple entrances on the south side.

(The above is a valid, but temporary, e-mail address that is relayed to my real e-mail. If it starts getting spammed, I'll just remove it and create a new one and change the signature block. If you want to send me an e-mail, feel free to do so, but be aware that unless you are using something like this, your e-mail address will be exposed to me.)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 3:37 am

When I was a gradeschool kid Dad considered getting nonpoisonous black snake and letting loose in the back yard to eat the moles and other varmits. But since this was in the half acre plot suburbs and not out in the country he asked the neighbors for their approval. They all balked at the idea. Oh well. I thought it would have been kinda cool.