Complete Latin American Spanish by Juan Kattan-Ibarra

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

avdpeas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2024, 11:38 pm

Is this a good book for a beginner who wants to learn Latin? I found it on Amazon, and it seems reasonably priced. I have three other "Complete" series books (Danish, Finnish, and Swedish), and have found them interesting. I still have symptoms that get in the way of learning these texts, but I'm working on it. It could partly be due to the fact that I may not be adequately treated for my schizophrenia.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 4:23 am

avdpeas wrote:
Is this a good book for a beginner who wants to learn Latin? I found it on Amazon, and it seems reasonably priced. I have three other "Complete" series books (Danish, Finnish, and Swedish), and have found them interesting. I still have symptoms that get in the way of learning these texts, but I'm working on it. It could partly be due to the fact that I may not be adequately treated for my schizophrenia.

It's not for learning Latin.

It's for learning Spanish, as spoken in the Americas.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 11:26 am

If your goal is to learn Spanish, I really liked the book at the following link although I used a variety of workbooks for practice. My favorite books were in Spanish, but I didn't start with those.

This book has a better rating than the one you listed:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Spanish ... 346&sr=8-4

It's not a complete system though. You would probably want to listen to podcasts and talk to native speakers on top of it. I like using Pimsleur and a flashcard system but neither are necessary.

If your goal is to learn Latin, I wouldn't know what to recommend. I'm thinking about studying it myself someday but haven't looked into it seriously.

avdpeas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2024, 7:28 pm

Thanks for the replies and input. I have realized that my question was misplaced, as my goal is to learn Latin, not Latin American Spanish. I found a book on Amazon that I might get. It's called, Complete Latin by Gavin Betts.

avdpeas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2024, 8:25 pm

On a whim, I decided to purchase the text Complete Punjabi by Surjit Singh Kalra. I no longer have the desire to learn Latin. I find all languages interesting. And there is no knowledge not worth learning.

avdpeas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2024, 10:57 pm

I received my copy of Complete Punjabi on Saturday. I skimmed/scanned through the book and it looks interesting. It includes written Punjabi as well as its phonetic spelling/pronunciation. It was a good investment. :)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 11:00 pm

Cool! I hope you enjoy it.

avdpeas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2024, 11:18 pm

Thanks.

avdpeas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2024, 11:49 pm

I just ordered the book you mentioned that's on Amazon. Maybe it's a good idea if I start out with something simpler. I suppose it doesn't really matter, however. But then again, Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn. I took Spanish I in eighth grade; I have forgotten a lot of it. Maybe this book will refresh my memory as well as allow me to further advance my knowledge of it.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 11:55 pm

I want to get back into studying languages. I’d like to further my skills with French, especially, and then add another language but my attention span has been kaput lately.

avdpeas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2024, 12:07 am

I took three years of French in High School. Obviously, my French is better than my Spanish. But I was learning Spanish on DuoLingo for a while, so who knows?

avdpeas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2024, 9:50 pm

My copy of Complete Spanish Step-By-Step: Premium Second Edition came the other day. I already started learning some of the material. Learning all the verbs, their tenses, and conjugations looks fun. :)