Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

avdpeas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jan 2024, 3:55 am

Has anyone heard of this book by Thomas Szasz? I came across it on Amazon via a search for "schizophrenia". It evoked feelings of extreme frustration in me. Why? I have no idea. Perhaps it originates with the idea that as soon as I told my new psychiatrist that I have schizophrenia, his countenance immediately changed. Like now he is going to treat me differently just because I said that. It really frustrates me.

It's like my psychiatrist went into a subtle protocol that he has to follow. Because schizophrenia is the sacred symbol of psychiatry. I cannot stress enough how much this frustrates me. It's almost like he wants me to be schizophrenic to protect his sacred icon that he worships.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 7:20 am

Schizophrenia is considered one of the worse(r) mental health disorders, so your psychiatrist probably changed his countenance because of hearing that.

avdpeas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jan 2024, 4:21 pm

True. I guess it's all part of my schizophrenia.

avdpeas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jan 2024, 4:36 pm

I tend to get attached to differing theories and ideas, and in this case, to the point of extreme frustration.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 5:59 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Schizophrenia is considered one of the worse(r) mental health disorders, so your psychiatrist probably changed his countenance because of hearing that.

Which is based on bad science and a history of abusing schizophrenics. Things like that don't exactly encourage people to come in and get treated.

A lot of the issues stem from misunderstandings of what the disorder is and what's really being asked of them during the sessions. Essentially mental health professionals are asking people that are often times delusional and hallucinating to trade their fake world for another fake world, just one that more people believe in.

This is also literally the only reason why I'm bothered trying to get a proper diagnosis as it's the only way to have something in my record that I can point at when doctors decide that they don't want to listen to me because I'm "psychotic."

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 7:11 pm

I talked to a lot of customers at work so I'd obviously run into folks with mental disorders.
I think I was OK talking to them just like any other customer but it was obvious that some of them were frustrated at being run around in circles. And frustrating to me because I couldn't help them either.