The makers of the "God Made Trump" video were serious?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2024, 4:34 pm

There's a bible verse that basically says God places the leaders in their positions of power, so we should obey them. Trumpists like to use it as proof of Trump's authority, and reason why going against him is sin.

Never occurs to them that God put Biden in charge and they're sinning by rebelling against him.

As for proof of Trump being the anti-Christ, apart from him embodying all seven deadly sins, drawing worship from God towards him, spreading false teachings... CPAC literally erected a golden Trump statue at one of their meetings. Seriously, if that never woke them up, don't know what will.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 7:21 pm

Honey69 wrote:
It was rather amusing last year when it came out, during the Dominion Voting Machine lawsuits last year, that Fox News Hosts not only secretly loathed Donald Trump, but absolutely despised their own viewers.

Fox News hosts: they're just like us.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2024, 7:50 pm

This is not parody. I never for even one second thought it was. I come from a unique perspective, as I've been inundated with white Evangelicalism lately (I'm not one myself, I am a nonbeliever) and there is a whole air of Trump being some kind of figure chosen by God. Their so-called "prophet" pastors say this and spread this around. It's disgusting. It's so blatantly un-American. Funny how quick our nation's people have forgotten about how with our founding we explicitly rejected the principle of rule by divine right. What Trump and Mike Johnson are running around saying, spreading isn't too far off from it. Very scary.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 8:07 pm

^ the fundamentalist christian folk in middle America seem to have adopted Trump as some type of saviour figure?

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2024, 8:22 pm

cyberdad wrote:
^ the fundamentalist christian folk in middle America seem to have adopted Trump as some type of saviour figure?

In a way, yes.

There's this whole bizarre belief forming that frames USA as the "new Israel", in which the founding fathers supposedly made a pact with God. For people who believe that (and I'm not saying this is all white Evangelicals, there's diversity in thought here), Trump is a bit of a messianic figure for the USA. The Christians need to "occupy" the US and Trump is their figure to do that. Very, very bizarre.

I think it's important to understand that on a broader level than the beliefs I mentioned above, white Evangelicalism has become as much as - if not more - about hyper-nationalism for the USA and right wing politics then it is about God/Jesus. They are entangled now. It's a big mess.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 8:33 pm

American white Christian nationalism seems to be on the verge of throwing Jesus out entirely. They've found a more suitable saviour figure.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 9:25 pm

Harmonie wrote:
white Evangelicalism has become as much as - if not more - about hyper-nationalism for the USA and right wing politics then it is about God/Jesus. They are entangled now. It's a big mess.

This is quite bizarre for an Australian. Conservative christians in Australia follow archaic Anglican/Presbyterian/Catholic doctrines.

My parents were/are conservative anglicans and these types are more likely to be anti-progressive.

In stark contrast the evangelic churches in Australia are multicultural, open minded and more progressive (although a little weird doing stuff like water baptism and speaking in tongues).

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2024, 10:51 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Harmonie wrote:
white Evangelicalism has become as much as - if not more - about hyper-nationalism for the USA and right wing politics then it is about God/Jesus. They are entangled now. It's a big mess.

This is quite bizarre for an Australian. Conservative christians in Australia follow archaic Anglican/Presbyterian/Catholic doctrines.

My parents were/are conservative anglicans and these types are more likely to be anti-progressive.

In stark contrast the evangelic churches in Australia are multicultural, open minded and more progressive (although a little weird doing stuff like water baptism and speaking in tongues).

There is a long history here, of which I don't would have to relook up to speak on too much. What I can say is that Evangelicalism before the latter half of the 20th century (or thereabouts) was different in the US, as well. There were Evangelicals that were anti-slavery and pro-women's suffrage. Also, going all of the way back to the founding era, it was Baptists (who are a part of what we now know as Evangelicalism) who wrote in the US government in regards to a sect of Christianity (Calvinism, I think?) being the state church of Connecticut, and Jefferson's response to that, condemning the state having a state church, is where we get the "wall of separation between church and state" line. (there are Baptists out here still championing secular government, sadly, you won't hear much about them).

I've listened to a number of books on this change to where we are today, but it's still odd to me. I'm not sure how exactly it went down. I think the Cold War had a lot to do with it, as there was a push to make the USA look very Christian in that era versus the communists. From then the Evangelicals had become the ones fighting to keep segregation, not get rid of it. The monstrosity that is the Religious Right coalesced then over defending segregation. And today's Religious Right is a direct descendant of them.

Be cautious of the Evangelicals you see, though. I'll just say that in my experience, the ones who follow these far right Trump-worshiping US ministries are all over the world, including in Australia. Hopefully, they will stay a minority. Sadly, being a minority just feeds into their obsession with taking over the government.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 11:10 pm

The MAGAs basically believe that if everything was the way it was in the 1950s, all the world's problems would just magically disappear.

Except the "1950s society" they're envisioning was a fantasy, even back then.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 11:23 pm

Agree with Calvinism being a different influence in the early US christian movements and the role of christian pro-slavery views before the civil war.

Yeah of course, I can't speak for all evangelicals in Australia (and in any case I haven't been to church since highschool). QAnon was quite big among some conservative christians in Australia. I think the role of Q should also be looked into.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 11:45 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
The MAGAs basically believe that if everything was the way it was in the 1950s, all the world's problems would just magically disappear.

Except the "1950s society" they're envisioning was a fantasy, even back then.

Nostalgia for some imaginary past utopia is a common trope among the reactionary right.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 9:06 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-suppo ... 01134.html

Lord Donald wrote:

These caucuses are your personal chance to score the ultimate victory over all of the liars, cheaters, thugs, perverts, frauds, crooks, freaks, creeps and other quite nice people. The Washington swamp has done everything in its power to take away your voice. But tomorrow is your time to turn on them and to say and speak your mind and to vote...

...You can’t sit home. If you’re sick as a dog, you say ‘Darling, I gotta make it.’ Even if you vote and then pass away, it’s worth it....

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 11:28 am

DoniiMann wrote:
There's a bible verse that basically says God places the leaders in their positions of power, so we should obey them. Trumpists like to use it as proof of Trump's authority, and reason why going against him is sin.

Never occurs to them that God put Biden in charge and they're sinning by rebelling against him.

As for proof of Trump being the anti-Christ, apart from him embodying all seven deadly sins, drawing worship from God towards him, spreading false teachings... CPAC literally erected a golden Trump statue at one of their meetings. Seriously, if that never woke them up, don't know what will.

8O :lol:

Like trump said.. "I love the poorly educated."

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 11:29 am

Harmonie wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

In a way, yes.

There's this whole bizarre belief forming that frames USA as the "new Israel", in which the founding fathers supposedly made a pact with God. For people who believe that (and I'm not saying this is all white Evangelicals, there's diversity in thought here), Trump is a bit of a messianic figure for the USA. The Christians need to "occupy" the US and Trump is their figure to do that. Very, very bizarre.

I think it's important to understand that on a broader level than the beliefs I mentioned above, white Evangelicalism has become as much as - if not more - about hyper-nationalism for the USA and right wing politics then it is about God/Jesus. They are entangled now. It's a big mess.

The rest of the world has a word for that: Cult.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 12:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI5OCu4MFME

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 3:39 am

The way our political system is in the US I'd almost guarantee another Trump presidency (anyone whose not dynastic or famous people can't cognitively process). I saw a pole today where he's over 50% and it doesn't surprise me in the least. After his four year term there might be Jeb Bush vs. Chelsey Clinton or maybe Kamala Harris - let know name that people haven't been hearing for decades on to a ticket.

What I was actually hoping for is that we could have a sitting president in prison. Talk about prison cribs! It would blow out whatever Jump Chambers (Chi McBride) had in Cradle to the Grave, add a team of secret service posted around his cell.

I say Make Idiocracy Great Again! If we're going end over end into decline right now at least make it entertaining.

(if I vote in November I might write in Cthulu, Apophis, or Ali G - especially if it's Trump / Biden)

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin