I Just Applied for a New Teaching Job

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

David1346
Raven
Raven

09 Jan 2024, 3:38 pm

Although I had not planned on resuming teaching until after the coming summer when I will have received a provisional teaching endorsement for special education (autism), I recently found an on-line Culinary Arts teaching job that pays reasonably well.

I decided to apply for it.

The cons are that the job requires an AZ teaching certificate. I have a lapsed AZ teaching certificate and a current NV certificate for Family and Consumer Science Education. If I got the job, I'd also have to pay the AZ state income tax since Arizona taxes all income regardless of whether it's generated in-state or out of state.

The pros are that since it's mid year, there will likely not be many applicants. With 32 years of combined teaching experience, 15 of which are in Culinary Arts, I have a lot of relevant experience. It will likely help that in addition to a degree in Culinary Arts, I have food service experience, am actually trained as a chef, and I have a Master's in Curriculum and Instruction. Since this would be a virtual job, I would be able to work from home. Since this would be a private sector job, there would be social security deductions which would add to my benefits for when I'm ready to apply for social security.

While I don't need this job, having this job would allow me to stop drawing upon my financial reserves. Since I had hoped to return to teaching in Nevada once I get my special education endorsement, I have NOT drawn upon my NV pension because taking another job in Nevada would allow me to build upon my existing pension so long as I have not been already drawing upon it. If and when I was to then retire in Nevada, I would then be able to retire with a higher pension.

In the meanwhile, classes start for my special education coursework next Tuesday.

Wish me luck!

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2024, 3:54 pm

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 5:07 pm

That is good news!

It is often much easier to find a job when you already have one.

Good luck!