NYC students go remote - school migrant shelter for storm

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 12:16 pm

Parents fume after students at James Madison High forced to learn remotely while school housed asylum seekers

Quote:
Frustration has been escalating ever since parents and some community leaders learned James Madison High School students in Brooklyn would have to stay home Wednesday and learn remotely in order to accommodate asylum seekers temporarily staying at their school to escape Tuesday's storm.

The decision to do so left many wondering if it schools could be impacted every time there is a severe weather event.

Expressing outrage, parents and some Midwood community members argued students' classes at James Madison High should never have been moved online to make room for asylum seekers to temporarily shelter in their gym and auditorium during the storm.

"It's inexcusable to do this to the students of New York City, especially after all they've been through with COVID," one person said.

Parents told CBS New York they were surprised when they were notified Tuesday their students would learn remotely. They were even less impressed when they said some online classes never happened.

On Tuesday, city officials announced nearly 2,000 asylum seekers from about 500 families would be bused from their tent shelters at Floyd Bennett Field to James Madison High due to concerns over the tents' ability to stand up to severe weather.

"Were doing this out of an abundance of caution because of the high winds," New York City Office of Emergency Management Commissioner Zach Iscol said.

City officials said migrant families were bused back to Floyd Bennett Field at 4:15 a.m. on Wednesday, a timing decision state Assemblyman Michael Novakhov also questioned, along with the costs, staffing and planning required to relocate hundreds of people.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

David1346
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2024, 3:23 pm

I'm the son of two generations of immigrants on my father's side. My paternal grandparents, my father, and his younger brother came to this country legally during the late 1940s. They brought enough cash with them to purchase a small turn key business in Brooklyn. They had enough funds to support themselves while they got their new business organized. They did not come to this country expecting charity and most certainly did not ask for any government handouts.

My first experience with migrants was as a novice teacher down on the south Texas border. In 1982, Mexico saw rampant inflation. Mexicans flooded across the border. Although the US Supreme Court required public school districts to educate the children of these migrants, neither the Federal government or even the state of Texas provided any additional funding for the education of these children.

I was a 5th grade teacher at the time. I saw my projected enrollment go from 25 to 46 students. I didn't have enough desks or textbooks. We ran out of office supplies (paper, pencils, paper clips, tape, scissors, and glue) by December. Since the migrant kids had nothing, I had to purchase additional supplies out of pocket. As a first year teacher, I was only earning $16,000!

The crisis on the southern border has been well known to border states for several decades. Although lip service has been given by Congress to fixing the immigration crisis, nothing substantive has ever been done. While some people claim that the Texas state governor has been cruel and insensitive in bussing or flying migrants to northern cities; I believe that he's been trying to highlight problems that have gone largely unnoticed outside of our southern borders.

New York, Chicago, and other cities are now seeing what U.S. citizens and legal residents in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California, and Florida (the latter of which has boat people from Haiti and Cuba) have had to experience for decades.

Our public schools (known as "state schools" for those of you in the UK), are funded by taxpayer dollars. While I am sympathetic to the plight of these migrants, the sad reality is that they are not tax payers. They're not even legal residents. They impose upon our district education budgets, our healthcare systems, and other public services without offering anything in return given the legal restrictions they currently face. They are now imposing upon all of the residents who live within the zoning area of a local high school in New York.

I know from my previous experience with virtual education that the average student does not do well in a virtual setting. Without sports and extracurricular activities to motivate them, a lot of students will slack off. Nationwide, our test scores went down during Covid. In our post-covid shut down world, student misbehavior has spiraled out of control. Academic mastery of basic skills is down. Truancy is up. None of these are good indicators as to what is likely to happen to many of the students at this school.

Part of the overall problem is the way the immigration laws have been set up in the United States. At this time, migrants who surrender to INS are processed and released pending a court hearing which could be YEARS away. During this time they are not allowed to work. It has therefore fallen upon state, county, municipal, and private entities to provide room, board, education, and health care to these people.

If our do nothing congress which only managed to pass 27 laws in 2023 versus the 200-600 laws that have previously been passed each year since 1789, got off their duffs; they could tackle the immigration crisis. One quick fix would be to grant temporary work visas to migrants who surrendered to INS and were then processed prior to being released. This would substantively reduce the economic burden that has otherwise been facing communities with large migrant populations.

Sadly, partisan politics has the left and the right at polar opposites. While these politicians posture for the media and work to get their daily or weekly sound bytes in, nobody seems willing to meet with the other side, to hammer out much needed legislation, and to compromise for the good of the nation.

In the meanwhile, communities with large groups of migrants are suffering.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 4:43 am

Clearly this is not a religious high school. Afaik, all religions preach looking out for the less fortunate so they don't die. Wtf whiners?

Maybe next time they could just close the gym and auditorium - both of which likely have exterior doors for guests to come and go from.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 5:25 am

Perhaps if this was just for the duration of the storm, they should just count their blessings if they have warm beds to sleep in. Perhaps their problem is that they don't want to face the reality of the situation, that people are fleeing from Venezuela, Cuba, etc. and have nowhere else to sleep except in their school.

Although I hate being judgmental.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 5:53 pm

I'm confused, is it the storm, or the presence of migrants that resulted in the students moving remote? (or both?)

This really would not fly in Australia. Parents would be in an uproar, especially if bored male refugees with little to do were in the same space as their teenage kids.

David1346
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2024, 8:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I'm confused, is it the storm, or the presence of migrants that resulted in the students moving remote? (or both?)

This really would not fly in Australia. Parents would be in an uproar, especially if bored male refugees with little to do were in the same space as their teenage kids.

This is a public high school in New York City. NYC is running out of municipal funding for migrants. At one point they were putting these people up in hotels but after funding for this ran out, someone decided to use a public high school.

My personal feeling is that since the Feds let the migrants across our borders, they should bear all of the associated financial costs.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 9:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:

The Asylum seekers are not allowed to move freely around New York. as they haven't yet been processed through immigration, and they don't have room to detain them all - so they are being warehoused in the school so they don't freeze to death waiting to formally be accepted in or denied entry from the country. This is why the students have been displaced.

They aren't being given charity at all, they simply aren't allowed to stay at hotels no matter how rich or poor they are. Its a backlog in the legal system. not a Moral failing.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 10:43 pm

David1346 wrote:
My personal feeling is that since the Feds let the migrants across our borders, they should bear all of the associated financial costs.

Weren't the migrants being deliberately bussed into NYC by governor Abbott from Texas?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 10:47 pm

DanielW wrote:
They aren't being given charity at all, they simply aren't allowed to stay at hotels no matter how rich or poor they are. Its a backlog in the legal system. not a Moral failing.

In Australia most illegal migrants were kept in offshore detention centres in Nauru and Papua New Guinea. However, since COVID 19 many were moved to hotel quarantine on the mainland. I think now it's illegal to seperate/remove children offshore because they need access to education and healthcare.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 12:03 am

Asylum seekers are not in the country illegally. It's their legal right under US law to seek asylum if they are persecuted or in fear for their lives in their home countries. But the process is cumbersome and complicated.

It seems that the parents of the students could have a bit more compassion for people being temporarily housed in the school during a winter storm rather than having to stay in tents.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 12:14 am

These migrants were being housed in tents on an old abandoned airfield. It was feared the storm would blow down the tents.

Between New York City being a sanctuary city, southern states busing migrants, and migrants being drawn to New York City, the city has run out of places to put them.

And parents were furious.

Off Topic
My parents graduated from the high school in question

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 1:14 am

bee33 wrote:
Asylum seekers are not in the country illegally. It's their legal right under US law to seek asylum if they are persecuted or in fear for their lives in their home countries. But the process is cumbersome and complicated.

It seems that the parents of the students could have a bit more compassion for people being temporarily housed in the school during a winter storm rather than having to stay in tents.

Yes I know but that was actually the language used by successive conservative Australian governments when justifying offshore detention. The Australian public also use the word "illegal" because it's also repeated on the news.