Is continental Europe more racist than the UK and Ireland?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 7:47 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
BillyTree wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
One thing to consider: Many countries in Europe have laws against hate speech, so people there are less likely to admit they're racist than they are in the U.S.

In my experience it's very easy for people in Europe that would like to express racist views to do that without breeaking a law against hate speech.

What kinds of things *would* violate such laws?

If you called the British PM a f*****g Tory it wouldn't be hate speech. However, calling him a filthy *** would be.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2024, 5:11 pm

Only been to Ireland for this first time last November. Everyone was so friendly and courteous, especially the salesclerks, pub owners and hotel staff. Was treated better by them than I have been here in the Midwest.
Didn’t know what to expect. Encountered more stares and cold shoulders from my fellow tour traveling companions; who actually asked me if I was there because I WON a ticket. Like why would someone Black go to Ireland, or how could I afford the cost? Confidentially my maiden name is Irish and have alway wanted to see the Cliffs of Moher. Didn’t tell them that but gave them an earful.
The locals are Lovely people. Afterwards I was told the Irish look at all Americans the same as long as the greenbacks (money) keeps flowing. As long as they know you’re not from Africa and not looking to stay you’re alright in their book. Didn’t have that problem. Can’t tell if I’m black until I start talking. Then there’s no doubt. I make sure of that.