Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 10:14 am

I have noticed that most of the people I know of who had mental breakdowns were exceptionally intelligent.
I have also noticed in life that those who are thick (No dissrespect at all intended to those who are) just carry on in life just as they always have been right into their old age.

So it started me thinking. I heard that various different animals of different sizes including humans have totally different lifespans usually according to their size (Though not always), and that if, instead, one measures how many heartbeats each animal has during their average lifespans, each animals heartbeats end up being roughly the same. Mice may not live long but have much faster heartbeats. Elephants have slow heartbeats and live much longer, but overall, the number of hearbeats are the same!

Now look back at intelligence. I am wondering if it is the case that everyone has the same actual intelligence level stored in our brains, but those that have higher IQ's are more suseptable to wearing their intelligence out too quick and therefore end up with mental breakdowns, while those of a low IQ level can be more economical with their intelligence and therefore retain their intelligence for much longer as they don't use up their intelligence so fast.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 10:20 am

I'm not as stupid as I may appear with my posts on here. I used to work for Nokia repairing mobile phones. I had a nervous breakdown so gave up my electronics career. Stuck on state benefits now as don't have any confidence in my ability to hold down a job. :cry:

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 10:27 am

Rossall wrote:
I'm not as stupid as I may appear with my posts on here. I used to work for Nokia repairing mobile phones. I had a nervous breakdown so gave up my electronics career. Stuck on state benefits now as don't have any confidence in my ability to hold down a job. :cry:

Sorry to hear. It really hits. I kept having what I think are burnouts on and off later in life which may have been breakdowns. The last was the worst and it takes ages to recover... I am still recovering and a whole lot better now then I have been since the last one I hit back in 2019. It was scary as at one point I forgot how to walk and had to suddenly learn again as I stood in the middle of a car park not having a clue what to do!

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 11:00 am

Sounds like my 70-year-old grandmother's waste theory: everyone has a fixed amount of food or water to eat in their lifetime, so don't waste and use less.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 11:11 am

I sometimes wonder if there's a finite amount of intelligence available to us and the more humans there are the more it gets watered down.

OUR_Diagnosis_Doesnt_Equal_We
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2024, 12:49 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I have noticed that most of the people I know of who had mental breakdowns were exceptionally intelligent.
I have also noticed in life that those who are thick (No dissrespect at all intended to those who are) just carry on in life just as they always have been right into their old age.

So it started me thinking. I heard that various different animals of different sizes including humans have totally different lifespans usually according to their size (Though not always), and that if, instead, one measures how many heartbeats each animal has during their average lifespans, each animals heartbeats end up being roughly the same. Mice may not live long but have much faster heartbeats. Elephants have slow heartbeats and live much longer, but overall, the number of hearbeats are the same!

Now look back at intelligence. I am wondering if it is the case that everyone has the same actual intelligence level stored in our brains, but those that have higher IQ's are more suseptable to wearing their intelligence out too quick and therefore end up with mental breakdowns, while those of a low IQ level can be more economical with their intelligence and therefore retain their intelligence for much longer as they don't use up their intelligence so fast.

Is that related to metabolism

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 1:56 pm

Doubt it.

Newton lived to 74, Einstein to 78, Edison to 83 I believe.
And musical prodigy composer and pianist Eubie Blake lived to be 96.

Their awe inspiring brains did not shorten their lives.

Very few folks become famous for being dumb clucks (so there is limited data), but we have all heard of intellectually impaired individuals who died young.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 12 Jan 2024, 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 2:02 pm

On the other hand.."Mike" lived a life of fame and fortune for two years without being encumbered by having a head!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 2:36 pm

I think that people of all intelligence levels live to a variety of ages.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2024, 10:48 am

I think the downside with high intelligence is that it is a more powerful tool. If you don't learn how to control it, it will make you find trouble everywhere because of overthinking and over-analyzing, you find out things and see connections that can cause you to worry. If you have a high intelligence you will have to develop strategies to handle this. If you don't realize a problem then you don't have to worry about it. I think people with an average intelligence has in some ways an easier life.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 6:08 pm

Well...higher than normal intelligence is like four wheel drive...it just causes you to get stuck in deeper snow and in more remote places than you wouldve with two wheel drive. :lol:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 6:09 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Well...higher than normal intelligence is like four wheel drive...it just causes you to get stuck in deeper and in more remote places than you wouldve with two wheel drive. :lol:

Haha! I like that comparisson!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 6:19 pm

Anyone care to explain this guy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan

Christopher Michael Langan (born March 25, 1952) is an American horse rancher and autodidact who has been reported to score very highly on IQ tests. Langan's IQ was estimated on ABC's 20/20 to be between 195 and 210, and in 1999 he was described by some journalists as "the smartest man in America" or "in the world"

He took a string of labor-intensive jobs for some time, and by his mid-40s had been a construction worker, cowboy, Forest Service Ranger, farmhand, and, for over twenty years, a bouncer on Long Island.

Langan's support of conspiracy theories, including the 9/11 Truther movement (Langan has claimed that the George W. Bush administration staged the 9/11 attacks in order to distract the public from learning about the CTMU and the white genocide conspiracy theory), as well as his opposition to interracial relationships, have contributed to his gaining a following among members of the alt-right and others on the far right.

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jan 2024, 6:29 pm

Comparing intelligence between species instead of humans - humans are winners, but where are the others from other planets?

Chomsky somewhat humorously suggests that they all destroyed themselves, which suggests a darker trend,
more in line with the "mad genius" trope.