The First Cold Weather of the Winter Season

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 4:55 pm

Another winter storm is about to hit. Our temperatures were near 70 degrees F but now they are dropping very, very fast. There is a lot of power in this fall of temperature. We will get below freezing. There may be tornadoes and hail in a few hours.

Around 15 years ago, we had a tornado pass right through my property. The tornado came over the high backside of my land and then broke up into a dozen tornadoes that came down my hill and these tornadoes devastated all around my house and then tore up the land below the hill. It destroyed around 100 trees that were over a foot thick. It took me a year to clean up the damage it caused.

I also remember when we were hit by a severe hailstorm. The hail was over an inch thick and left deep dents in all the cars.

Well calamity is on the way.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2024, 12:55 am

My late Father used to say..." Hunker Down" .......betweebn now and Sunday .According TO THE national weather service ! . There will be a 60 degree change in temperatures, where I live .. Priceless....sometimes it does make me think twice about that Global Warming concepts ....Brrrrr... :| ......
Good Luck Jimmy M

where ever you go ,there you are

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2024, 9:22 am

Well the storm came through. But there was very little damage at my location. There is less than 1/10 of an inch of snow that fell on the ground. I slept through the storm. No trees fell. Life back to normal at my end.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2024, 4:21 pm

Am now configuring ways to do emergency heating here ..heating is based on electricity here .And not terribley
fond of setting up generator connections into the main breaker box here.....and , i am looking at an okder smalker wood burning stove.??. ? Or a bucket load of candle heaters ? Lose power here usually a few times a year .
Snow was fairly light here too this time. :D

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 11:07 am

Jakki wrote:
Am now configuring ways to do emergency heating here ..heating is based on electricity here .And not terribley
fond of setting up generator connections into the main breaker box here.....and , i am looking at an okder smalker wood burning stove.??. ? Or a bucket load of candle heaters ? Lose power here usually a few times a year .
Snow was fairly light here too this time. :D

I have been heating during the winter with firewood for almost 50 years. I use a very efficient wood stove. I cut and split my downed trees and use it to heat my home during the winter months.

In general, if you only loose you main supply of power during the winter for a day or two, it is probably not economically productive to change to another heat source in the event of a power outage. You can compensate by wearing proper winter clothing instead. (I have clothing stored away that will protect me down to -100 degrees F stored away.) So from my perspective, it might be better to study the steps of keeping warm by wearing layers of clothing and then buying such clothing. For cold weather you will need several layers of clothing and each is different.

I use a Jøtul Firelight Model 12

It is a very unique stove with about a 95% efficiency. Our stove looks a little differently than this picture. Our stove is offwhite in color and it has two layers on the top that extend to the left and right sides of the stove. It also had one major problem in the design that we fixed a couple decades ago.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 1:43 pm

15 yrs ago..used to be good at staring the fire in my wood burning Franklin fireplace ...worked extremely well .!
Yes us3d to keep a snowsuite, very good idea , but had moved and forgot some of the older stuff i learned.lTY for reminding me. :D :D :D