thoughts on intuition and adhd-like behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2024, 9:02 am

I don't think I have adhd, but sometimes I do jump around a lot.

This can be very good - often something I read about in a distraction was on the exam. Many times.
But it means things take a long time, and you end up with a deep understanding.

Increasingly people (managers, governments, academics even) are not tolerant of spending a long time on things and this creates a lot of stress. I don't think this thinking style is a bad thing, but it is often labelled as one.

I wonder if deep-thinking and topic-relevant distractions are related. I think often when I am learning something
at the back of my head I am questioning it and trying to figure out a kind of pattern in the subject matter. I think the "distractions"
are my subconscious pointing to counter examples or a kind of related phenomenon trying out a different generalisation to the one
being taught.

There are a lot of subconscious happenings for me. I think that's one reason I don't fit. Sometimes you just "know" something, but
everything requires justification these days.

Einstein says some similar things:
“I have no doubt that our thinking goes on for the most part without the use of signs (words), and, furthermore, largely unconsciously. For how, otherwise, should it happen that sometimes we “wonder” quite spontaneously about some experience? This “wondering” appears to occur when an experience comes into conflict with a world of concepts that is already sufficiently fixed within us…The development of the world of thinking is in effect a continual flight from wonder.”

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2024, 9:15 am

I have ADHD and it is not just about your mind jumping around or wandering. For me, it is the lack of ability to focus for long periods of time, I will start talking about one thing and then completely forget what I was talking -while im talking about it, I cannot pay attention to people for long conversations - my mind will wander, I hype fixate, I will start making dinner and completely forget if my son askes me to do something while Im cooking, etc. I have no "intuition" as well. I have to memorize what to look for or I will miss it. I have to be told something is a red flag for it to be a red flag in my mind. There is a lot that goes into ADHD for me. It is not simple or easy to pin down all of the characteristics that go with ADHD because they cross over into my CPTSD diagnosis and it is also affected by my autism. If you truly cannot concentrate and are worried about using your intuition, it might be something to look into. Im not sure if this address what you were after. I hope so. Interesting topic.

Vander571
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2024, 5:00 pm

Sounds like the power of hyperfocus.

You are becoming more mindful and wise, and that is a wonderful thing.

Good for you for seeing the world differently than the mainstream.

I don't have Autism, I was born this way. I'm simply called an Autistic.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2024, 8:49 pm

Small study in UK

“Objective: To define and explore the electromagnetic field theory of telepathy and its relation to the broader autism spectrum, to explore connections between various anomalous experiences and the broader autism spectrum, and to evaluate the validity of links between anomalous experiences, personality, and abuse in light of possible links to the broader autism spectrum.
Method: Online studies used a questionnaire adapted to measure the broader autism phenotype as the base tool. First, a sensing presence item was added to check telepathy. Next, four personality measures relating to absorption, fantasy proneness, schizotypy, and thin boundaries were added in pairs to check the connections between items. Last, a new anomalous experience and psi questionnaire was created and checked. Results: Sensing a presence, most anomalous experiences, and most psi traits had considerable correlations to the broader autism phenotype. Sensing electromagnetic fields was the primary item contributing to sensing a presence. Conclusion: The study provides evidence that telepathy is the primary psi trait. The belief in telepathy and the ability to use telepathy are considerably more common in people with autistic traits. Anomalous experiences are also considerably more common in people with autistic traits, and many of the traits are correlated to each other. Broader autism traits generally are correlated to each other. Because of this, people must be cautious before assuming that a correlation to an autistic trait, an anomalous experience…”

Like the song says, “ I got the power”
:) :lol:

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2024, 8:59 pm

Being autistic has literally saved my life. Kept me from death at least half a dozen times that I know of. Sensing things that were going to happen. Only problem it doesn’t work on demand. Comes at it’s own time. When I try to guess what’s going to happen; always dead wrong.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 9:03 pm

It's worth noting that ADHD often does come with kind of a freaky focus inversion where to focus more, you often would be better off focusing less. It can appear to be intuition, but it might well not be intuition at all, just an alternate path to knowing and understanding. NTs use diffuse mode thinking a lot, and while it seems like it's intuition, it's often a longer term contemplation that suddenly crystalizes into a new idea.

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2024, 7:55 am

Eyeselation wrote:
Being autistic has literally saved my life. Kept me from death at least half a dozen times that I know of. Sensing things that were going to happen. Only problem it doesn’t work on demand. Comes at it’s own time. When I try to guess what’s going to happen; always dead wrong.

I can relate to this.