Our 9th Vice President had an enslaved wife

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 11:48 am

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/he-b ... wtab-en-us

Quote:

He Became the Nation’s Ninth Vice President. She Was His Enslaved Wife.

Her name was Julia Chinn, and her role in Richard Mentor Johnson’s life caused a furor when the Kentucky Democrat was chosen as Martin Van Buren’s running mate in 1836.

She was born enslaved and remained that way her entire life, even after she became Richard Mentor Johnson’s “bride.”

Johnson, a Kentucky congressman who eventually became the nation’s ninth vice president in 1837, couldn’t legally marry Julia Chinn. Instead the couple exchanged vows at a local church with a wedding celebration organized by the enslaved people at his family’s plantation in Great Crossing, according to Miriam Biskin, who wrote about Chinn decades ago.

Chinn died nearly four years before Johnson took office. But because of controversy over her, Johnson is the only vice president in American history who failed to receive enough electoral votes to be elected. The Senate voted him into office.

The couple’s story is complicated and fraught, historians say. As an enslaved woman, Chinn could not consent to a relationship, and there’s no record of how she regarded him. Though she wrote to Johnson during his lengthy absences from Kentucky, the letters didn’t survive.

Amrita Chakrabarti Myers, who is working on a book about Chinn, wrote about the hurdles in a blog post for the Association of Black Women Historians.

“While doing my research, I was struck by how Julia had been erased from the history books,” wrote Myers, a history professor at Indiana University. “Nobody knew who she was. The truth is that Julia (and Richard) are both victims of legacies of enslavement, interracial sex, and silence around black women’s histories.”

Johnson’s life is far better documented.

He was elected as a Democrat to the state legislature in 1802 and to Congress in 1806. The folksy, handsome Kentuckian gained a reputation as a champion of the common man.

Back home in Great Crossing, he fathered a child with a local seamstress, but didn’t marry her when his parents objected, according to the biography “The Life and Times of Colonel Richard M. Johnson of Kentucky.” Then, in about 1811, Johnson, 31, turned to Chinn, 21, who had been enslaved at Blue Spring Plantation since childhood.

Johnson called Chinn “my bride.” His “great pleasure was to sit by the fireplace and listen to Julia as she played on the pianoforte,” Biskin wrote in her account.

The couple soon had two daughters, Imogene and Adaline. Johnson gave his daughters his last name and openly raised them as his children.

Johnson became a national hero during the War of 1812. At the Battle of the Thames in Canada, he led a horseback attack on the British and their Native American allies. He was shot five times but kept fighting. During the battle, the Shawnee chief Tecumseh was killed.

In 1819, “Colonel Dick” was elected to the U.S. Senate. When he was away in Washington for long periods, he left Chinn in charge of the 2,000-acre plantation and told his White employees that they should “act with the same propriety as if I were home.”

Chinn’s status was unique.

While enslaved women wore simple cotton dresses, Chinn’s wardrobe “included fancy dresses that turned heads when Richard hosted parties,” Christina Snyder wrote in her book “Great Crossings: Indians, Settlers & Slaves in the Age of Jackson.”

In 1825, Chinn and Johnson hosted the Marquis de Lafayette during his return to America.

In the mid-1820s, Johnson opened on his plantation the Choctaw Academy, a federally funded boarding school for Native Americans. He hired a local Baptist minister as director. Chinn ran the academy’s medical ward.

“Julia is as good as one half the physicians, where the complaint is not dangerous,” Johnson wrote in a letter. He paid the academy’s director extra to educate their daughters “for a future as free women.”

Johnson tried to advance his daughters in local society, and both would later marry White men. But when he spoke at a local July Fourth celebration, the Lexington Observer reported, prominent White citizens wouldn’t let Adaline sit with them in the pavilion. Johnson sent his daughter to his carriage, rushed through his speech and then angrily drove away.

When Johnson’s father died, he willed ownership of Chinn to his son. He never freed his common-law wife.

“Whatever power Chinn had was dependent on the will and the whims of a White man who legally owned her,” Snyder wrote.

Then, in 1833, Chinn died of cholera. It’s unclear where she is buried.

Johnson went on to even greater national prominence.

In 1836, President Andrew Jackson backed Vice President Martin Van Buren as his successor. At Jackson’s urging, Van Buren — a fancy dresser who had never fought in war — picked war hero Johnson as his running mate. Nobody knew how the Shawnees’ chief was slain in the War of 1812, but Johnson’s campaign slogan was, “Rumpsey, Dumpsey. Johnson Killed Tecumseh.”

Johnson’s relationship with Chinn became a campaign issue. Southern newspapers denounced him as “the great Amalgamationist.” A mocking cartoon showed a distraught Johnson with a hand over his face bewailing “the scurrilous attacks on the Mother of my Children.”

Van Buren won the election, but Johnson’s 147 electoral votes were one short of what he needed to be elected. Virginia’s electors refused to vote for him. It was the only time Congress chose a vice president.

When Van Buren ran for reelection in 1840, Democrats declined to nominate Johnson at their Baltimore convention. It is the only time a party didn’t pick any vice-presidential candidate. The spelling-challenged Jackson warned that Johnson would be a “dead wait” on the ticket.

“Old Dick” still ended up being the leading choice and campaigned around the country wearing his trademark red vest. But Van Buren lost to Johnson’s former commanding officer, Gen. William Henry Harrison.

Johnson never remarried, but he reportedly had sexual relationships with other enslaved women who couldn’t consent to them. The former vice president won a final election to the Kentucky legislature in 1850, but died a short time later at the age of 70.

His brothers laid claim to his estate at the expense of his surviving daughter, Imogene, who was married to a White man named Daniel Pence.

“At some point in the early twentieth century,” Myers wrote, “perhaps because of heightened fears of racism during the Jim Crow era, members of Imogene Johnson Pence’s line, already living as white people, chose to stop telling their children that they were descended from Richard Mentor Johnson … and his black wife. It wasn’t until the late 20th century that younger Pences, by then already in their 40s, 50s, and 60s, began discovering the truth of their heritage.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVX5ds6hZB8

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 11:20 pm

Nearly 200 year old news. How is this relevant today?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 5:55 am

^ Its brand new news.

Its about something that happened 200 years ago.

But it was swept under the rug and not spoken about for two centuries until it just came out now.

So the age of the news is spanking new.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 8:21 am

Thank you for exposing this history I did not know about.

Divisions over American History are central to our current political divide. Maybe it should not be but it is. We would be in much better shape if people when debating how our history informs our current situation get that history right. Anything that does that is a good thing.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 9:51 am

Fnord wrote:

Well, this isn't the "News and Current Events" section.

There are a lot of discussions here about Jesus, and that happened over 2000 years ago.

You could look at it and say "Wow! Look at how far we've come! We've even had a Mulatto president!"

Or, we still have an ex-president who talks about "poisoning our blood."

There are several angles where you could make a discussion relevant to today.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2024, 10:41 am

“some point in the early twentieth century,” Myers wrote, “perhaps because of heightened fears of racism during the Jim Crow era, members of Imogene Johnson Pence’s line, already living as white people, chose to stop telling their children that they were descended from Richard Mentor Johnson … and his black wife. It wasn’t until the late 20th century that younger Pences, by then already in their 40s, 50s, and 60s, began discovering the truth “

Wonder if they are any relation to our former VP Pence? Where’s “Finding Your Roots” when you need them? You never know what skeletons are hiding in that closet.

Don’t see many right-wingers taking the test on PBS. Especially Southerners. They really DO NOT want to know something like that. Might be a few, but haven’t seen every episode. So who knows?
Funny to see Latinos get their percentage of African DNA. They look so heartbroken.

I get it. I really do. My family passed as Puerto Rican on the way to CA in the 60’s so we wouldn’t have go the back of the train. Still segregated then. Kept my mouth shut. My Spanish is anything but fluent.

Last edited by Eyeselation on 16 Jan 2024, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 10:47 am

Fnord wrote:

I think it’s relevant from the standpoint that so many Christian nationalists today seem to deify early presidents and such (and Trump). Of course, maybe a lot of them wouldn’t particularly care about this datum. :chin:

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 11:29 am

https://www.cell.com/ajhg/fulltext/S0002-9297(14)00476-5

Quote:
...Consistent with previous anecdotal results, the frequency of European American individuals who carry African ancestry varies strongly by state and region of the US. We estimate that a substantial fraction, at least 1.4%, of self-reported European Americans in the US carry at least 2% African ancestry. Using a less conservative threshold, approximately 3.5% of European Americans have 1% or more African ancestry. Individuals with African ancestry are found at much higher frequencies in states in the South than in other parts of the US: about 5% of self-reported European Americans living in South Carolina and Louisiana have at least 2% African ancestry. Lowering the threshold to at least 1% African ancestry (potentially arising from one African genealogical ancestor within the last 11 generations), European Americans with African ancestry comprise as much as 12% of European Americans from Louisiana and South Carolina and about 1 in 10 individuals in other parts of the South.

Most individuals who have less than 28% African ancestry identify as European American, rather than as African American...

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 12:07 pm

Another angle that might be discussed is colorism within America's Black community (it also exists in parts of Asia).

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/col ... -rcna93850

Quote:

A lot of Americans want to lighten their skin.

Skin lightening, also called whitening or bleaching, is a multibillion-dollar industry with products that can damage the skin and that, researchers say, promote a dangerous message about beauty and social value. But people who use these products — primarily marketed to women — seldom understand the health risks of using the over-the-counter chemicals...

... Colorism, or color bias, is a system of inequality in which lighter skin on nonwhite people is considered more beautiful, socially acceptable and deserving of privileges often denied to people with darker skin. Black men with light skin are perceived to have more education than those with dark skin, and skin tone plays a role when job applicants with dark skin compete with light-skinned applicants.

Meanwhile, Black people with darker skin face harsher prison sentences than those with light skin...

From the original article

Quote:
“Whatever power Chinn had was dependent on the will and the whims of a White man who legally owned her,”

Well duh!

Quote:
Johnson never remarried, but he reportedly had sexual relationships with other enslaved women who couldn’t consent to them.

"Consent" is largely a 21st century issue. In the 19th century, it never would have come up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_bre ... ted_States

Quote:

...Slave owners often bred their slaves to produce more workers. The function of such breeding farms was to produce as many slaves as possible for the sale and distribution throughout the South, in order to meet its needs. Two of the largest breeding farms were located in Richmond, Virginia, and the Maryland Eastern-Shore.

Planters in the Upper South states started selling slaves to the Deep South, generally through slave traders such as Franklin and Armfield. Louisville, Kentucky, on the Ohio River was a major slave market and port for shipping slaves downriver by the Mississippi to the South. New Orleans had the largest slave market in the country and became the fourth largest city in the US by 1840 and the wealthiest, mostly because of its slave trade and associated businesses.

In the antebellum years, numerous escaped slaves wrote about their experiences in books called slave narratives. Many recounted that at least a portion of slave owners continuously interfered in the sexual lives of their slaves (usually the women). The slave narratives also testified that slave women were subjected to rape, arranged marriages, forced matings, sexual violation by masters, their sons or overseers, and other forms of abuse.

The historian E. Franklin Frazier, in his book The Negro Family, stated that "there were masters who, without any regard for the preferences of their slaves, mated their human chattel as they did their stock." Ex-slave Maggie Stenhouse remarked, "Durin' slavery there were stockmen. They was weighed and tested. A man would rent the stockman and put him in a room with some young women he wanted to raise children from...

Being recognized as the owner's "wife", and having children that might "pass for white" and be free, might have been less horrible than what most slaves experienced.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 12:12 pm

Honey69 wrote:
"Consent" is largely a 21st century issue. In the 19th century, it never would have come up.

Just because people didn’t understand consent or talk about it doesn’t mean that it’s “largely a 21st century issue.” It was always an issue. It’s just finally getting the understanding and attention it deserves.

Something can be harmful even if we don’t have words for it.

From the movie Women Talking:
Quote:
Where I come from, where your mother comes from, we didn’t talk about our bodies, so when something like this happened, there was no language for it. And without language for it, there was a gaping silence. And in that gaping silence was the real horror.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2024, 12:29 pm

As for the colorism issue. In CA Filipinos would swear I was a Filipina. Often asking me if I were, or trying to speak Tagalog. Wouldn’t take no for an answer. Latinos would ask if I “had the blood.” Was adamant that I am African American. Always corrected them. Internalized the Black is Beautiful. Despite my family.
As James Brown sang, “I’m Black and I’m proud!” I do not consider it a compliment to be confused with a different race.
Just last month someone asked me if I was part Native American. No offense but…here we go again. :?

Depending on my weight, when heavier asked if am Samoan. When thin, asked if I am Hawaiian. Can’t win.

Last edited by Eyeselation on 16 Jan 2024, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 12:41 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Just because people didn’t understand consent or talk about it doesn’t mean that it’s “largely a 21st century issue.” It was always an issue. It’s just finally getting the understanding and attention it deserves.

Something can be harmful even if we don’t have words for it.

By stating that it is "largely a 21st century issue", I meant that it wasn't generally talked about until now. I didn't mean to say that it was "good."

Fairly recently, Michael Cohen, when he was still Donald Trump's lawyer, argued that "you can't rape your spouse."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/20 ... our-spouse

Quote:

A lawyer at the Trump Organization told The Daily Beast that legally speaking, you can’t rape your spouse. “It is true,” said special counsel Michael Cohen. “You cannot rape your spouse. And there’s very clear case law.” Cohen was defending Donald Trump against allegations made by his ex-wife Ivana Trump, who once used the word “rape” to describe an incident between them in 1989. Ivana Trump later walked back her statement and said she felt “violated” by the experience. The “marital rape exemption” in New York state law ended in 1984—five years before Ivana Trump’s accusations—which means spouses could be prosecuted for marital rape.

Marital rape is legal in some states.

https://www.governing.com/archive/gov-m ... esota.html

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Marital rape is illegal in all fifty states. In most states, marital and non-marital rape are treated equally. However, a number of states have established exceptions that treat marital rape differently than non-marital rape.

For example, until 2019, Minnesota protected rapists who still lived with and had sexual relations with a spouse. That year, Governor Tim Walz signed a bill that put an end to this marital rape exception. Similarly, California and Idaho repealed their provisions for marital rape in 2021.

Ten states still have exceptions that treat marital rape differently.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state ... ape-states

If it wasn’t illegal, it would be even more harmful because then victims would feel like their experiences and feelings didn’t count or matter, and the abuse would most often continue. I’m sure that was a massive problem in the past with slaves and other victims of abuse.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 1:52 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Quote:
Marital rape is illegal in all fifty states. In most states, marital and non-marital rape are treated equally. However, a number of states have established exceptions that treat marital rape differently than non-marital rape.

I stand corrected. :hail:

TwilightPrincess wrote:
If it wasn’t illegal, it would be even more harmful because then victims would feel like their experiences and feelings didn’t count or matter, and the abuse would most often continue. I’m sure that was a massive problem in the past with slaves and other victims of abuse.

True. But there are pros and cons to presentism: introducing present-day ideas and perspectives into depictions or interpretations of the past. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presentis ... l_analysis)

Julia Chinn's condition would be unthinkable today. But, in her time, probably no slave had it better (although, to be fair, her owner could have sold her down the river any time, had he wanted).

And, I'm sure that we're doing things today that our descendants 100 years from now will condemn. Unless we will have destroyed the planet before then.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 2:03 pm

Honey69 wrote:
True. But there are pros and cons to presentism: introducing present-day ideas and perspectives into depictions or interpretations of the past. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presentis ... l_analysis)

Julia Chinn's condition would be unthinkable today. But, in her time, probably no slave had it better (although, to be fair, her owner could have sold her down the river any time, had he wanted).

And, I'm sure that we're doing things today that our descendants 100 years from now will condemn. Unless we will have destroyed the planet before then.

For the most part, when it comes to matters of consent, I do not believe in giving people in the past a pass. Many knew how to behave decently, as literature from the time period demonstrates, even if there weren’t (and aren’t!) sufficient laws in place.
Quote:
When Johnson’s father died, he willed ownership of Chinn to his son. He never freed his common-law wife.
Quote:
Then, in 1833, Chinn died of cholera. It’s unclear where she is buried.
Quote:
Johnson never remarried, but he reportedly had sexual relationships with other enslaved women who couldn’t consent to them.
He was probably a piece of s**t. Even if he asked the enslaved women nicely if they were in the mood (yeah right :roll: ), there was a massively unequal power dynamic.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck…or, in this case, a steaming pile of caca.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 2:44 pm

From the Koran

https://quran.com/en/an-nisa/34-36

Quote:
Men are the caretakers of women, as men have been provisioned by Allah over women and tasked with supporting them financially. And righteous women are devoutly obedient and, when alone, protective of what Allah has entrusted them with. And if you sense ill-conduct from your women, advise them ˹first˺, ˹if they persist,˺ do not share their beds, ˹but if they still persist,˺ then discipline them ˹gently˺. But if they change their ways, do not be unjust to them. Surely Allah is Most High, All-Great.

A huge part of the world still follows this.