Practice that assessed me not replying

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

random2024
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2024, 3:18 pm

I've been waiting for my report for 2 months. The practice that assessed me had always been very communicative with me over the assessment process. But after not hearing from them for some weeks, I emailed them a couple of days ago- I haven't received a reply. I'm starting to panic. They'd always responded to me within 1-2 working days, never this long before. I'm going to email them again soon. If anyone has any advice, that would be great.

Vander571
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2024, 4:53 pm

I tend to do the same thing. Someone doesn't reply, I start to panic like my entire life is going to fall apart.

I've been teaching myself to change my thought process a little. And it's helping. So for example in your situation, rather than panicking because you think that you won't receive the assessment. Look at things from a different perspective.

I haven't received my assesment or heard back from them for a few weeks now. OK, well, they must be very busy and probably just backlogged, that's ok, I'll wait a few more days and just give them a call. I'm sure it won't be too long.

Now that's not so bad, panic is gone and you are now back in control of your thoughts and emotions, rather than them controlling you.

When I had to apply for Disability it was like a 3 months wait. For 3 months I tortured myself that I wasn't going to get approved, my life was going to fall apart. For 3 months I lived in fear and anxiety.

Eventually the disability support came though and all was fine. All that stress I caused myself, it was all in my head. My silly mind created a catastrophic situation when there wasn't one. Lesson learned.

Life can be a good teacher.

I don't have Autism, I was born this way. I'm simply called an Autistic.

random2024
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2024, 5:03 pm

Vander571 wrote:
I tend to do the same thing. Someone doesn't reply, I start to panic like my entire life is going to fall apart.

I've been teaching myself to change my thought process a little. And it's helping. So for example in your situation, rather than panicking because you think that you won't receive the assessment. Look at things from a different perspective.

I haven't received my assesment or heard back from them for a few weeks now. OK, well, they must be very busy and probably just backlogged, that's ok, I'll wait a few more days and just give them a call. I'm sure it won't be too long.

Now that's not so bad, panic is gone and you are now back in control of your thoughts and emotions, rather than them controlling you.

When I had to apply for Disability it was like a 3 months wait. For 3 months I tortured myself that I wasn't going to get approved, my life was going to fall apart. For 3 months I lived in fear and anxiety.

Eventually the disability support came though and all was fine. All that stress I caused myself, it was all in my head. My silly mind created a catastrophic situation when there wasn't one. Lesson learned.

Life can be a good teacher.

Thank you, that was really helpful! Yes, I tend to catastrophize. I do trust my assessor, so I don't know why I keep worrying that I won't get my report. Thanks for putting things in perspective!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 12:12 pm

Why don’t you call them and ask about the status of your report?

I got my report back 2 months after my assessment.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 4:31 pm

you could try the phone and/or writing an actual physical letter of inquiry and sticking that in the mail. Others may be in charge of replying to inquiries by those modes of communication. I know a lot of practices are overwhelmed with clients/ business and don't have enough reliable staff. Add to that the weather conditions across the country ( I am talking USA) or a hundred other things, illness, holiday backlog. Patient, polite and persistent will likely get a response. Many times a doctor will put off doing piles of paperwork (writing reports, etc) after a long day of demanding interaction in the office setting, and there is not much staff can do to hurry such an individual along.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 12:45 pm

Have you heard anything?

Wreck It Ralph