Has anyone had hallucinations as you wake?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2024, 7:31 am

Apparently it's a totally normal experience called a hypnopompic hallucination https://www.sleepfoundation.org/how-sleep-works/hypnopompic-hallucinations

I get them if I am anxious or a bit sleep-deprived, usually auditory just as I wake up.

Sometimes I hear music I have never heard before (but I am exposed to a lot of music so I think it is like some kind of "average" of what I am hearing).

Today I had a very realistic angry Russian woman talking on the phone, ( I live around a lot of them). I thought it was cool my brain could come up with that. Maybe I subconsciously speak Russian.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 7:42 am

This used to happen to me many years ago.

Hallucinations upon waking and between sleep cycles can also be due to sleep apnoea.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 8:35 am

It also happens when going to sleep. It's been a bit, but I used to feel like I was flying at of nod off to sleep. I should see if I can still do that as it was really a great feeling to be floating around doing loops.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 9:21 am

Yes I've had a few. I get sleep paralysis too which sometimes includes hallucinations. I sometimes hear voices just before i wake, auditory hallucinations that appear to come from outside of me but within the room, so not like dreams. I heard a girl say "Hi!" as i woke up the other day. A couple of weeks ago i heard an old man shout "Oi!" as i woke.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 1:02 pm

Yes, if I happened to notice I was dreaming, I would wake myself up and would then often get a vivid, full-colour moving picture hallucination without sound. The other thing that was different from a sleeping dream was that I knew it was a hallucination. They haven't happened for a long time. I wasn't particularly stressed when they did happen. They only happened if I closed my eyes after waking. I classed them as hallucinations rather than dreams because I was fully awake when they happened. They didn't tell stories like dreams usually do. They lasted for about 10 seconds usually, and never over about half a minute.

They happened way back in the early 1970s, and for several decades I didn't know what they were, though in the mid-1970s on reading Freud's "The Interpretation Of Dreams," I noticed a reference to hypnagogic hallucinations (which occur as the subject is falling asleep, not on waking up), and got a copy of a paper about it that Freud referenced - George Trumbull Ladd, Contribution to the Psychology of Visual Dreams [1892], from a science/philosophy journal called "Mind". These days it's available on the Web:

https://zenodo.org/records/1654931

I thought my hallucinations might be due to the rapid waking from a dream - maybe the apparatus for creating the visual part of the dream was still running, as Ladd had suggested in his paper. I think they were stronger, or more likely to happen, if on waking I opened my eyes for a few seconds and then closed them.

One of the hallucinations included 2 figures in my garden that turned out to be made of unconnected bits of coloured paper. Another was 2-dimensional and contained nothing but a load of little aeroplanes, each one of different design, from different eras, all moving around, all viewed from the top. Another was an old man in a tailcoat dancing and pirouetting energetically around a large, dark room.

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2024, 1:48 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Yes I've had a few. I get sleep paralysis too which sometimes includes hallucinations. I sometimes hear voices just before i wake, auditory hallucinations that appear to come from outside of me but within the room, so not like dreams. I heard a girl say "Hi!" as i woke up the other day. A couple of weeks ago i heard an old man shout "Oi!" as i woke.

I used to get sleep paralysis. On hot days.

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2024, 1:50 pm

Quote:
Another was an old man in a tailcoat dancing and pirouetting energetically around a large, dark room.

This is quite intricate!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 1:57 pm

I used to have sleep paralysis and night terrors years ago. I have vivid dreams now.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 2:11 pm

I kind have had similar experiences recently when nodding off listening to YouTube videos an hour or so before my normal bedroom. I feel like I am at an important meeting, or talking to someone next to me. I jerk awake and then realize I am all alone, sitting at the computer.

I have heard noises in the room upon awaking in the morning also. I guess they were just hallucinations as there didn't appear to be anything there in the physical realm making them.

Suffered sleep paralysis at least twice. That is kind of scary

Vander571
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2024, 5:18 pm

I will see patterns on all the walls and ceiling apon waking. 

ProfessorJohn wrote:
Suffered sleep paralysis at least twice. That is kind of scary

Have suffered this as well. Probably 20+ times if not more. It's a creepy one. :twisted:

I don't have Autism, I was born this way. I'm simply called an Autistic.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 4:00 pm

__Elijahahahaho wrote:
Quote:
Another was an old man in a tailcoat dancing and pirouetting energetically around a large, dark room.

This is quite intricate!

I've often been impressed at the artistic talent that some dreams and dream-like things show. I couldn't have imagined that one during everyday waking life. I suppose that's why many artists use mind-altering drugs, to temporarily poison and damp down their rational side and thus let the artistic imagination come out more easily. I think sleep can do a similar thing.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 4:18 pm

I had these experiences over a period of several months around twenty years ago. The hypnagogic hallucinations seemed to involve falling into a deep spiralling pit as I was falling asleep and seeing strange lights, and the hypnopompic ones in the early stages of waking up consisted of weird and often frightening faces appearing momentarily to me. I once had a very disturbing version of the hypnagogic phenomenon, when for several hours I kept seeing what appeared to be a spectacular firework display with brightly coloured explosions and crashing noises as I drifted off into sleep, but that was for one night only and was never repeated. I was convinced at the time that I probably had a brain tumour.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 7:31 pm

^
Yes they can be scary, though in fact they seem to be harmless. In my case a brain tumour never occurred to me, but I was a tad superstitious in those days. I'd been trying to control the content of my lucid dreams for fun, and I feared that some mysterious dark force might be trying to attack me for doing that. Plus, hallucinations can be quite frightening anyway if you're not used to them. Luckily I was also curious and I rather doubted my superstitious fears, so after blocking the hypnopompic hallucinations for a night or two by turning on the lights and keeping my eyes wide open, I decided to be brave and let one through. I found them quite entertaining so they made my life a bit more interesting for a while, and I came to no harm.

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jan 2024, 10:10 pm

I have narcolepsy. Part of the narcolepsy package is sleep paralysis and hypnopompic (awakening) and hypnogogic (falling asleep) hallucinations, as well as wide-awake hallucinations. I am currently on medication that suppresses the paralysis and hallucinations. They reduced my 2-3 times a week episodes down to 1-2 times a month.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 1:31 am

Happened to me a few times; twice so far.
And I'm still unsure why.

Then at the very moment that I realized that I'm nearsighted and spiders or bugs crawling on the ceiling are not supposed to be that big, it stopped.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 5:54 am

The most disturbing one I've ever had was a short female ballerina with the teeth of a shark. I saw that and thought 'Maybe it's time to go to bed'.

I've also had faceless figures before. Only during times in my life where I've been sleep deprived.

The biggest sign that I'm sleep deprived is that my reading ability just completely goes out the window even more than usual. For example, when I was sixteen I went to school and there was a poster that said 'Planet Earth is blue' but I read it as 'Piggy blue Earth is' and I stood there thinking 'wait, no, that's not right'. :lol: I think I was running on two or three hours of sleep that particular day and it definitely showed.