Has anyone had hallucinations as you wake?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 6:34 am

I've sometimes had that sleep paralysis thing, at least to the extent that when realising I was dreaming, I would become aware of being paralysed. I've read that the paralysis is there to protect the dreamer from acting out the dream and coming to harm, but it was very unpleasant to feel unable to move. That may have been why I learned to wake myself up by focussing on my breathing, taking control of it, and breathing more and more deeply and loudly until the sound and feel of it woke me. Sometimes - and as recently as a couple of years ago - I've felt myself unable to speak while dreaming, and not liking that I've wrenched myself awake by doing that breathing thing and by forcing myself to make a vocal noise that gets loud enough to wake me up. I was hoping for a hypnopompic hallucination on waking, as I'd woken quickly from dreaming, which always used to precede those hallucinations when I used to get them, but they don't seem to happen to me any more. I never heard of drugs to stop sleep paralysis. I suspect, but don't know, that the subject only has to wait, and they'll either wake up or go deeper into sleep and stop noticing the paralysis. Strange subject.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 3:35 am

Hallucinations upon waking or at any time, can also be due to De-Realisation. Anxiety is at the core of this.