Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 10:00 am

https://newrepublic.com/post/174950/chr ... beral-weak

Quote:

Christianity Today Editor: Evangelicals Call Jesus “Liberal” and “Weak”

A former evangelical leader is sounding the alarm about the direction his religion is headed in.

The editor in chief of Christianity Today is warning that evangelical Christianity is moving too far to the right, to the point that even Jesus’s teachings are considered “weak” now.

Russell Moore resigned from the Southern Baptist Convention in 2021, after years of being at odds with other evangelical leaders. Specifically, Moore openly criticized Donald Trump, whom many evangelical Christians embraced. Moore also criticized the Southern Baptist Convention’s response to a sexual abuse crisis and increasing tolerance for white nationalism in the community.

Now he thinks his religion is in crisis.

Moore told NPR in an interview released Tuesday that multiple pastors had told him they would quote the Sermon on the Mount, specifically the part that says to “turn the other cheek,” when preaching. Someone would come up after the service and ask, “Where did you get those liberal talking points?”

“What was alarming to me is that in most of these scenarios, when the pastor would say, ‘I’m literally quoting Jesus Christ,’ the response would not be, ‘I apologize.’ The response would be, ‘Yes, but that doesn’t work anymore. That’s weak,’” Moore said. “When we get to the point where the teachings of Jesus himself are seen as subversive to us, then we’re in a crisis.”

Moore said he thinks a large part of the issue is how divisive U.S. politics are, which is now spilling over into the church. He pointed to how a lot of issues are “packaged in terms of existential threat,” leading to the belief among everyone, not just evangelical Christians, that “desperate times call for desperate measures.”

It makes sense, then, that evangelical Christians would embrace Trump, who portrayed himself as the answer to many of those supposed existential threats. Trump both campaigned and governed on a largely evangelical Christian platform. He moved the U.S. Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem; he cracked down on immigration from majority-Muslim countries; and he appointed multiple conservative judges, including to the Supreme Court, which has swung sharply right.

He made good on his anti-abortion promises when the high court removed the nationwide right to the procedure in June. Many LGBTQ protections were rolled back under his watch, and during the June 2020 protests over George Floyd’s murder by police, he tear-gassed demonstrators so he could take a heavily posed picture with a Bible in front of St. John’s Church near the White House.

And as Trump swings ever further right, it makes sense that people who believe he will solve their problems will follow blindly.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 5:02 pm

At least they're honest about not being Christians anymore. The Golden Trump at CPAC should have told us that.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 5:03 pm

these people really worship the other guy down below, they are fake xtians at best. i would not trust anybody who lionized psychopaths.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 5:32 pm

auntblabby wrote:
these people really worship the other guy down below, they are fake xtians at best. i would not trust anybody who lionized psychopaths.

That's really unfair to the big guy down below.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 5:36 pm

Who’s the bad guy here? :chin:

Satan had God’s permission with the 10 people (Job’s kids).

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 16 Jan 2024, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 5:46 pm

TFW politics becomes your religion over your actual religion

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 5:55 pm

I never thought I would be saying something in support of a far right pastor, but....

He doesn't actually Jesus liberal and weak. He says in Christ's sermon on the mount, turning the other cheek "no longer works" and claims "times have changed" and he wants his followers to fight back.

A pastor simply could not directly call Christ "weak" because the Christ' character in the bible is anything but weak.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2024, 7:14 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I never thought I would be saying something in support of a far right pastor, but....

He doesn't actually Jesus liberal and weak. He says in Christ's sermon on the mount, turning the other cheek "no longer works" and claims "times have changed" and he wants his followers to fight back.

A pastor simply could not directly call Christ "weak" because the Christ' character in the bible is anything but weak.

I thought it was church members who were saying that Jesus's teachings are weak and they don't work anymore, not the pastor himself.

I've seen this article before, I don't remember all of the details, most certainly I am not coming to Moore's defense in general. He has been vocal against Trump and some other problems with his church and conservative Christianity, but from my understanding he has been openly anti-LGBT and reproductive rights.

I think what Moore may not be able to understand is that Trumpism is not a complete deviation from the Evangelical Christianity of before, it is actually largely in line with it. The image that conservative Christianity has always wanted to give about caring about morality and stuff is just full of it. Funny they keep on claiming it even now. It makes me lose my mind when a Trump-worshiping Christian tells me that I'm depraved because I love other women. Give me a break. :roll:

Besides... I really want to ask what exactly is it that makes conservative Christians feel like they have to turn their back on Jesus's teachings and stop turning their cheek and "fight back". Fight back against what? LGBT acceptance? :|

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 9:08 pm

Harmonie wrote:
Besides... I really want to ask what exactly is it that makes conservative Christians feel like they have to turn their back on Jesus's teachings and stop turning their cheek and "fight back". Fight back against what? LGBT acceptance? :|

Good question.

I think there is intersectionality going here between existing conservative christian beliefs and the rise of what evangelicals see as social subversion through popular conspiracy theories being peddled from groups like the Tea Party, QAnon and MAGAs. This all started with Tea Party nutjobs peddling conspiracies against Obama and Hillary. I think the online Q movement might be more popular with christians than we think, There is a conflation among christians of issues including patriotism, christian values, communism and the endtimes coinciding with the return of christ.

Through conspiracies conservative christian groups have been emboldened to attack abortion clinics, reproductive rights, gun ownership, LGBTQI rights, race in the school curriculum and affirmative action.

I think this is a modern version of what in medieval times might have been a crusade. What next? perhaps members of the clergy might engage in witch burning next.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 1:46 am

Harmonie wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I thought it was church members who were saying that Jesus's teachings are weak and they don't work anymore, not the pastor himself.

I've seen this article before, I don't remember all of the details, most certainly I am not coming to Moore's defense in general. He has been vocal against Trump and some other problems with his church and conservative Christianity, but from my understanding he has been openly anti-LGBT and reproductive rights.

I think what Moore may not be able to understand is that Trumpism is not a complete deviation from the Evangelical Christianity of before, it is actually largely in line with it. The image that conservative Christianity has always wanted to give about caring about morality and stuff is just full of it. Funny they keep on claiming it even now. It makes me lose my mind when a Trump-worshiping Christian tells me that I'm depraved because I love other women. Give me a break. :roll:

Exactly.

Have seen the article before.

Cyber missed the point.

The Pastor is saying that he is shocked by his own congregation members who ...are shocked by the "bleeding heart Liberalism" contained in the Pastor's sermons because the said parishioners dont recognize the words of their savior Jesus Christ....and think Christ's words are somekinda ...modern Wok stuff. That he is befuddled by that thinking in his flock. Not that he is advocating that thinking.

Good question. I dont know who the parishioners imagine that they are "fighting back" against.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 3:53 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Good question. I dont know who the parishioners imagine that they are "fighting back" against.

I do
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/23/busi ... index.html
“The Biblical worldview is that there’s a God who’s in control of the whole world. And one day Jesus is going to come back, he’s going to judge the wicked,” Kendall said. With QAnon, “there is a Q that knows everything, and Donald Trump is going to come back and judge the wicked, set up his rule, and his followers are going to live in their little Utopia… It’s easier for Christians who already have that belief system to make that jump over into believing [QAnon].”

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2024, 1:11 pm

Pagan here: If Christians really hate Jesus that much, we'll gladly take him. :wink:

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 2:08 pm

Think about it. Radical right wingers want their own form of Sharia Law.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 2:15 pm

it would apply to the great unwashed but never to themselves, they deem themselves administrators of the law and never followers of the law. self-aggrandizing bunch of hypocrites IMHO.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2024, 2:33 pm

old_comedywriter wrote:
Think about it. Radical right wingers want their own form of Sharia Law.

"Shariah" is just Arabic for "the way", and from what I understand, Arabs really need white people to stop using it as a scare word.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 2:34 pm

being that their "way" is wholly NOT compatible with MY way, it IS a threat, a tangible one.