Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2024, 10:37 am

I love dancing, teaching dance, choreography, but especially MUSIC for inspiration. What music/songs do you love? I am looking for new music inspiration.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 1:56 pm

You might appreciate Jlin maybe. She's a Gary, Indiana native with heavy footwork influence.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 2:02 pm

What are you looking for?

I used to work as a party deejay so I am an expert in "dance music" from various decades that packs dance floors.

And I have a liking "hand dance music" (swing, jitterbug) and music that good for that (modern and classic).

But apparently your talking about "modern dance" (avant guard dance performance).

And are looking for music for that purpose...which is not quite the same as the above.

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2024, 4:01 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
What are you looking for?

I used to work as a party deejay so I am an expert in "dance music" from various decades that packs dance floors.

And I have a liking "hand dance music" (swing, jitterbug) and music that good for that (modern and classic).

But apparently your talking about "modern dance" (avant guard dance performance).

And are looking for music for that purpose...which is not quite the same as the above.

Not sure where you got avant guard...

I teach ballroom and latin dancing. I teach wedding couples how to dance. I work with people who have Parkinson's, etc. Country music is not my thing. Im just asking for any and all music suggestions. I have no idea what will inspire me to dance or to choreograph. Im just looking for inspiration. It is hard for me to leave my music comfort zone...so I am asking for help.

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2024, 4:04 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
You might appreciate Jlin maybe. She's a Gary, Indiana native with heavy footwork influence.

My Parkinson's student would like this a lot. Thank you.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 4:09 pm

silverlinings1069 wrote:
I teach ballroom and latin dancing. I teach wedding couples how to dance. I work with people who have Parkinson's, etc. Country music is not my thing. Im just asking for any and all music suggestions. I have no idea what will inspire me to dance or to choreograph. Im just looking for inspiration. It is hard for me to leave my music comfort zone...so I am asking for help.

Out of curiosity, what kind of speed / bpm are you thinking is best for them?

This one's a bit fast but it's one of my favorite merengue tunes (years ago when I was listening to Spanish talk radio and they had Juan Luis Guerra in the studio for an interview, they played this as an example of his work and I loved it but didn't know the name of it - took a few more years to track it down):

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 4:14 pm

This is a fun one, just that I'd abstain from sharing the video with anyone with epilepsy:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 4:41 pm

For some real classy lounge stuff - actually a wide variety with great moods - Submotion Orchestra from Leeds UK:

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2024, 6:38 pm

I am loving everything! Thank you!

techstepgenr8tion - I can make any speed work so I'm not as concerned about that as much. But that is a great question. Thanks for asking. Any modern waltz or Viennese Waltzes? In ballroom we use the same music over and over.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 11:12 am

Okay. So its not "dance" (like "modern dance", or ballet).

Its social dancing or couples dancing. Now I have bead on what your looking for. Ballroom, Latin, maybe swing dancing.

Tons of favorite songs for each thing.

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2024, 12:51 pm

^I would like all of the above. I also use ballet movements and yoga as well. I am not a one stop shop. I love all dance, sort of. I just do not like modern. Too abstract. I need a beat that I and other people can follow and move to. Post away!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 5:11 pm

cool.
Just for starters...the waltz.

Gloria Estafan's 90s cover of the 60s Rascals hit is a personal fav that has waltz beat.

https://youtu.be/GSG-dgBDs70

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2024, 9:48 pm

IAMDDB just put a video up for this today - it's pretty smooth, you'd have to tell me what kind of beat this is (sounds very traditional even if partially electronic).

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2024, 9:21 am

^this would be a merengue or maybe a rumba if I had students dance to it. The one above that is a Viennese waltz.

I really like the sound of this one.