Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

milly
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2024, 8:45 am

I am really confused. My psychiatrist suggested I needed to go for an autism assessment and that my schizophrenia/schizoaffective diagnosis needs to be reviewed. But all the information I have been looking at, I can see no link between autism and psychosis. Autism does not cause psychosis, so why does the psychiatrist think I do not have schizophrenia?

I had my first psychosis in 2010. I continued taking meds until 2020 with zero psychosis. They tried to put me on antidepressants once they took me off the antipsychotic, and thats what pushed me into having another psychosis. He feels having two psychotic episodes (10 years apart) does not mean I have schizophrenia. It's not what the other docs said but I want to trust this consultant. He's the only one in 38 years of my life who rightfully thought I needed an autism assessment.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Jan 2024, 1:35 am

It's possible for autistics to develop psychosis. I had a mental breakdown & developed psychotic depression when I was 20 when my first relationship fell apart. My home life kinda s#cked as well. My mom was majorly on my back about me not having a job even thou I was putting in apps for most any job I thought I might could actually do & get to but I was not getting calls about interviews. My ex told me she cheated on me with her ex because he offered her drugs & I started believing things were going on with her that very likely were not. I was paranoid at times, & had some delusions of grandeur at times. The worst moment was when I had a huge fight with my mom & then watched my body slash my upper left arm 9x & went to the ER & got superglue stuff put on. I had been very depressed & unstable for a while before that so I was told they thought I had bipolar depression. When I had my first appointment with a psychiatrist she diagnosed me with Aspergers, Borderline Personality Disorder, & depression. She referred me for autism testing & after I was tested I got told that I had Asperger's Personality due to having Schizoid Personality Disorder & I communicated too well verbally to have anything on the autism spectrum. I also got told that I had Borderline Personality Disorder, depression, & fit all the main features of Schizotypal Personality but did not have Schizotypal.

I've done lots of research & self-analyzing since then as well as trying to work on myself in various ways. I believe I'm autistic & my mom has thought I was autistic since I was a toddler. I think my psychosis, Schizotypal, & BPD symptoms were due to having bad anxiety & lots of panic attacks related in part to autism issues like meltdowns. I think my Schizoid Personality was due to my autism & the depression. The GP type docs I've had since as well as the other psychiatrist I saw for a bit 10 years later say I'm autistic. However the the person who tested me for autism as well as the counselor I briefly saw did not believe I was on the spectrum because I communicated too well verbally & had a high-school diploma even thou I majorly struggled in school & had various accommodations & some of my grades curved to pass due to dyslexia.

My point is that that it is possible for autism related issues & problems to contribute to a few autistics developing psychosis & it is also quite possible for the so-called experts to be wrong about things sometimes. If you think you could be on the spectrum then it might be worth pursuing an assessment. What's really important thou is that you take a proactive role with your health & try to know yourself & what helps & does not help you.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 4:25 am

Psychosis occurs more frequently in those who are autistic than in those who are not.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 6:41 am

He thinks you may have been misdiagnosed.

There is this idea that if you teach someone how to use a hammer, everything looks like a nail!
That person uses the hammer even when it isn't the best tool for the job.

You may have been diagnosed with something that can be cured with pills.
But, evidence may now show that it was a mistake.

milly
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2024, 7:15 am

nick007 wrote:
If you think you could be on the spectrum then it might be worth pursuing an assessment. What's really important thou is that you take a proactive role with your health & try to know yourself & what helps & does not help you.

Hi Nick, thank you for your response. Yes I ended up requesting an assessment and I found out a few days ago that I am autistic, and possibly ADHD. Now need to make an appointment with the psychiatrist to let him know of the outcome so he can review my mental health diagnosis.

milly
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2024, 7:15 am

firemonkey wrote:
Psychosis occurs more frequently in those who are autistic than in those who are not.
I kinda expected the outcome but also didn't, so I am a bit surprised and shocked but happy at the same time.

milly
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2024, 7:17 am

BTDT wrote:
He thinks you may have been misdiagnosed.

There is this idea that if you teach someone how to use a hammer, everything looks like a nail!
That person uses the hammer even when it isn't the best tool for the job.

You may have been diagnosed with something that can be cured with pills.
But, evidence may now show that it was a mistake.

Yes, it was probably a misdiagnosis, but I'm a bit annoyed it was not picked up sooner. I am 38. Been with the mental health services for 13 years, but because of the amount of times I have seen new consultants because they keep leaving, I found out late.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 10:48 am

Autism is closely related to schizophrenia on a genetic level and even shares some of the symptoms as per its diagnostic criteria.

It's not unusual to be misdiagnosed with one or the other.

Psychosis is typically a symptom of schizophrenia, rather than autism. But autistic folk can have psychosis too, co-morbid with their autism.

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2024, 12:56 pm

Is that why they ask the questions they do? About hallucinations and hearing voices?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Jan 2024, 3:36 pm

silverlinings1069 wrote:
Is that why they ask the questions they do? About hallucinations and hearing voices?
Those can potentially be very danderious so perhaps the psychs are being cautious & trying to make sure their paitents are not a major threat. There are some cases of people who have auditory processing disorder that assume they're hearing voices when their brains are misprocessing some sounds. Some autistics do have auditory processing disorder perhaps that contributes to some autistics & their psychs getting confused.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 6:17 pm

silverlinings1069 wrote:

If somebody (a psychiatrist) is asking you about whether you have hallucinations or if you hear voices, then they are trying to determine whether you have psychosis, regardless of the cause of the psychosis.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2024, 8:02 am

I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety and psychosis in the spring of 1998. It wasn't fun. I'm going through a med change right now to help the depression. I thought the front yard was turning into a forest. I thought that I would turn into a quaker if I ate Quaker Corn Bran. I thought my parents house was going to explode and I was going to wake up in India. I also thought that if I used Colgate I was going to Hell and if I used Crest, I was going to Heaven.