Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jan 2024, 5:40 pm

Did any of you get chicken pox as a kid? What age did you get it at?

I got it when I was about 5. I don't really remember it, but my mom told me that I had to celebrate my birthday late that year because I got it around my birthday. Thankfully you only get chicken pox once. And at least I got it young - Mom didn't get hers until she was 21. A lot of people younger than me actually never got it at all because of the vaccine that's available, but most people I know my age and older had it.

I'm glad I never attended any of those stupid "chicken pox parties" that people used to have.

Last edited by NibiruMul on 19 Jan 2024, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 5:42 pm

Around 2nd grade. Also got the later improved shingles vaccine as an adult.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 6:13 pm

Ive had it 4 times, all before the end of High School. Most people either get it once and thats it or have been vaccinated and never get it at all. I've even had shingles more than once as an adult. My immune system is otherwise normal, but I apparently have little resistance to the virus that causes Chicken Pox.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 8:46 pm

I was 12 when I got chicken pox. They say the older you are if you get it the worse it is, but I wasn't really that sick with it. There were other kids half my age who were probably acting like they were at death's door from it. Back when I getting chicken pox wasn't seen as that big of a deal and lots of kids got it, then they got better after a few days and then they were immune. But according to what I've read about it recently it is actually very serious and life-threatening, like measles, and I'm lucky to have survived it after only a week without any complications. And now I have to worry about the shingles, which is really painful and horrible and makes chicken pox look like a couple of nasty mosquito bites. My mom got vaccinated for shingles and she told me the side effects were really bad and she ended up getting shingles anyway, so I guess I'm screwed. It's like you can't get sick with anything anymore, everything is deadly.

Speaking of which, I've had a bad chest cold all week. Maybe it's acute bronchitis. Or covid, because everything is covid. I don't know for sure since haven't gone to a doctor, I haven't even left my apartment all week because I've been too sick, it's freezing out, and even bundled up with a mask on my lungs could have shut down on me, and the health care is abysmal, if I went to outpatients they wouldn't care if I was literally dying. The first few nights I had anxiety, partly because I was coughing and congested which messed up my sleep, but also because I was worried it could be covid or it would get even worse or that I might relapse.

But I've digressed... :(

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 9:12 pm

I was 16 when I got the Chicken Pox. I missed two weeks of school. It was hell.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 2:54 pm

I don't remember there being "chicken pox parties" when I was a kid, but if I found out my own parents were trying to get me sick on purpose by going to one, I'd be pretty peeved.

But not peeved enough that I'd have someone with herpes come in and use their toothbrushes to get revenge. :twisted:

(People who've watched the early seasons of South Park probably get what I mean)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 3:06 pm

It's not the kind of party I'd wanna go to

I had it when I was about 14 or 13. I can remember lying next to the fire for about a week watching horror movies with it and wearing my brother's Tacchini jumper to keep warm.

My daughter had it twice when she was about 5 or 4. She got it really mild the first time and then it came back full on the second time

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 4:31 pm

I had it twice.
The first time was age 7.
My family was at a theme park and I kept complaining my ankle was itchy.
My mum said it was a blister from the strap on my sandals.
Then it broke out really bad.

The second time I was in grad school.
It started with a fever and red rash.
Then I broke out again.
Maybe it was half Shingles?

My kids had it at the same time, around ages 6, 3, and 3.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 4:41 pm

Young enough that I can't remember it. I remember a kid at my school getting it when i was 8-ish so i must have already had it at that point.

My 9 year old hasn't had it yet, sadly for her.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 8:50 pm

DuckHairback wrote:

If she makes it through adulthood like that she won't need to worry about shingles.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 6:01 am

funeralxempire wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:

If she makes it through adulthood like that she won't need to worry about shingles.

Can you only get singles after you've had chicken pox? I know its the same virus, but can you not just skip the pox bit and go straight to shingles?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 8:40 am

DuckHairback wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:

Can you only get singles after you've had chicken pox? I know its the same virus, but can you not just skip the pox bit and go straight to shingles?

That's my understanding.

Quote:
Shingles is caused by the varicella zoster virus (VZV) that also causes chickenpox. In the case of chickenpox, also called varicella, the initial infection with the virus typically occurs during childhood or adolescence. Once the chickenpox has resolved, the virus can remain dormant (inactive) in human nerve cells (dorsal root ganglia or cranial nerves) for years or decades, after which it may reactivate. Shingles results when the dormant varicella virus is reactivated. The virus then travels along nerve bodies to nerve endings in the skin, producing blisters. During an outbreak of shingles, exposure to the varicella virus found in shingles blisters can cause chickenpox in someone who has not yet had chickenpox, although that person will not suffer from shingles, at least on the first infection. How the virus remains dormant in the body or subsequently re-activates is not well understood.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2024, 2:19 pm

I have never had chicken pox. I was vaccinated but the older I get, the more terrified I am of getting it.