World Conference against Racism 2011 (Durban III)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 8:57 am

I hate posting a link to a Wikipedia article, but everything else I can find seems to either be on a Jewish site, a UN site, or a scholarly paper i.e. a PDF.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durban_III

Relevant text:

Quote:
The previous Durban conferences had been criticized by Western governments for allegedly promoting rather than combating racism. Fourteen countries boycotted Durban III. They charged that the Durban process has been used to promote racism, intolerance, antisemitism and Holocaust denial, and to erode freedom of speech and Israel's right to exist. The same countries, excluding Austria, Bulgaria, France and the United Kingdom, had also previously boycotted the Durban Review Conference in 2009.

I see strong evidence here that the UN actively pursues policies aimed at the destruction of Israel. How many Jewish deaths might result from that is anyone's guess.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 9:49 am

MaxE wrote:
I see strong evidence here that the UN actively pursues policies aimed at the destruction of Israel. How many Jewish deaths might result from that is anyone's guess.

Depends what is meant by "the destruction of Israel."

Could mean anything from the expulsion of Jews (more ethnic cleansing == obviously very bad) to the replacement of the current Jewish-supremacist Israeli state with a single binational state with equal rights for all. The latter would be the best possible outcome IMO, though it would need to be approached very carefully, with a lot of attention to the details of its constitution, to ensure that everyone's rights are truly protected. (See my separate thread Palestine/Israel: 2-state solution vs. 1 binational state?)

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 20 Jan 2024, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 11:27 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Could mean anything from the expulsion of Jews (more ethnic cleansing == obviously very bad) to the replacement of the current Jewish-supremacist Israeli state with a single binational state with equal rights for all. The latter would be best possible outcome IMO, though it would need to be approached very carefully, with a lot of attention to the details of its constitution, to ensure that everyone's rights are truly protected. (See my separate thread Palestine/Israel: 2-state solution vs. 1 binational state?)

Destruction as I see it means that the State of Israel, as we know it today, no longer exists.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 11:31 am

MaxE wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Could mean anything from the expulsion of Jews (more ethnic cleansing == obviously very bad) to the replacement of the current Jewish-supremacist Israeli state with a single binational state with equal rights for all. The latter would be best possible outcome IMO, though it would need to be approached very carefully, with a lot of attention to the details of its constitution, to ensure that everyone's rights are truly protected. (See my separate thread Palestine/Israel: 2-state solution vs. 1 binational state?)

Destruction as I see it means that the State of Israel, as we know it today, no longer exists.

Which isn't inherently a bad thing, depending on the circumstances and what succeeds it.

The scenario Mona proposes would result in Israel no longer existing as we know it, but it's hard to honestly frame a binational single state as replacing Israel as a negative.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 12:21 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Which isn't inherently a bad thing, depending on the circumstances and what succeeds it.

The scenario Mona proposes would result in Israel no longer existing as we know it, but it's hard to honestly frame a binational single state as replacing Israel as a negative.

I can't say if what Mona proposes is a bad or a good thing, but it would mean the destruction of the State of Israel and would probably meet the approval of most people attending that conference in Durban.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 11:11 pm

I believe the reason the Australian government boycotts this conference is because its a vehicle for countries crusading against Israel rather than a legitimate movement against racism.

Australia: On 23 August, the country announced that it would not attend the Durban III event at the UN, saying that "it was not convinced that 'unbalanced criticism of Israel and the airing of anti-Semitic views' would be avoided." This was confirmed by spokesperson for Prime Minister Julia Gillard