Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2024, 10:55 am

My youngest (age 32) recently bought the game Palworld (early access) off Steam. I asked him about it and he sent me a video from YouTube. I had already bought the game when I saw it could be played multiplayer. I'm always looking for games that my youngest son enjoys. My older son (age 34) will play almost anything if it means the three, or two, of us can play together. So far, I have not gotten very far. That's how I am in games. Slow start, but gradually more focused.

Here a video I found today that provides a reasonably overview of the game. I just started playing last night (Jan. 21, 2024) so there is still lots for me to learn. I realized this after watching this video.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2024, 10:59 am

It's good that you guys are socializing via video games.

Very nice. :)

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2024, 11:03 am

I want to try it but the price is a bit expensive.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2024, 10:26 pm

I'm sure this game is fun for those who like this kind of thing, but I'm completely allergic to survival games.

It's incredible how heavily it's caught on, though. Is it because it's sort of like Fortnite + Pokemon? And I guess seeing Pokemon-like creatures with realistic guns is cool?

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 11:36 am

arekks wrote:
I'm sure this game is fun for those who like this kind of thing, but I'm completely allergic to survival games.

It's incredible how heavily it's caught on, though. Is it because it's sort of like Fortnite + Pokemon? And I guess seeing Pokemon-like creatures with realistic guns is cool?

There are realistic guns? There might be. My youngest son may be more interested in that than me. Even in a game like SCUM I do not use guns. I make a club from a plank from a log, and if I find nails to put in the plank, all the better because I'm fighting zombie. Lately, I've been focusing on gardens in SCUM. This is all single player.

I know what Fortnite is, but I've never played it or seen it played. I do dabble with Pokemon Go. I'm level 38, and have been level 38 for maybe just over a year (???). I started in 2021 when my oldest son was helping me after my total knee surgery. He thought it would be a good push for me to get outside and walk around, but the thing is when I go out and walk around I enjoy the world around me. I've always enjoyed exploring.

Last night I was exploring an island called Obsidian Island. I've been making use of a climbing ability and a paragliding ability. They both rely on stamina and once the stamina wears out, you fall. Stamina also affects swimming. Run out and you drown (not in a realistic or gruesome way). General rule to follow: Don't rock climb, then jump off, and paraglide to the water. The stamina will not last. I also learned Obsidian Island is volcanic. That's not a surprise. I don't know where the volcano is, but I started to overheat and had to make an quick decent. One loses health if they overheat too much.

I have also captured several "Pals" and they eagerly take care of things while I'm exploring. They maintain, and gather resources. They seem happy. Granted, they are not real. They are programmed to be happy helping me.

Palworld is not for everyone. I know that. I just thought it was fun. I was surprised.

@honeytoast, if there is a sale, I'll try to remember to let you know, and you can decide if you are interested.

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2024, 3:23 pm

That's awesome that you're diving into Palworld! I think it can be a fun experience to share together. I've been playing it as well, and I've really been enjoying the mix of adventure and creature collection the game has to offer. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find there's a lot of depth to it, which should make for some great bonding time with your kids as you explore and figure things out together.
The game multiplayer's limit is up to 4 players, which is perfect for small groups or family. I have a bunch of friends I play with, so we got a Palworld private server. It allows us to scale up and have more players join in. It's not too difficult to set up. And it's more stable that the servers provided by Palworld.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2024, 10:40 pm

I decided to pick it up.

I've never played a survival game before. The closest games I've ever played to this are Pokemon Legends Arceus and Zelda: BOTW. Clearly, it's not much of anything like either of those. There just are some elements present.

I love open world games, and I love cute Pokemon-like creatures. So I just had to try this. Shooting cute creatures with machine guns, though? Okay, perhaps not so much. Lol. Nevertheless, it's quite a level curve before you get to machine guns. I am not there, yet.

I am a big Pokemon fan. I definitely realize some of the shameless copying going on here, but I don't care when I get new little creatures to love!

Foxparks is an adorable little fox creature. It makes the cutest little sounds, I swear. My heart melts everytime!

I have plenty of other favorites I've come across, but they're later in the game, and I don't want to spoil them.

I'm having a little trouble finding much direction in the game, though. I feel like what's keeping me playing at this point is just exploring and finding new pals. Once I've done that, I'm not sure the game will have lasting value for me. Nevertheless, I've spoiled myself and one of my must-haves is a level 50 "legendary", so that's something to keep me playing. I suck at action stuff so I'll surely have to be max level to have any chance of catching it. :oops:

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 9:41 am

I have enjoyed my experience so far. I've leveled up enough for a third base. I placed it in a spot with Ore, which is made into metal, and eventually into refined metal. The difference? Refined metal requires coal. Coal has been the only thing I've looked up on the Internet. Some had been gathered from Pals, but did I pay attention to which Pals? No! So I wasn't sure where it could be gathered. I found an online map, and there were two areas with multiple piles/nodes of coal near my Ore base. That's how I found my oldest son's third base. He was at work, so I mined the coal he had. Then flew it back to my base (in eye shot of his). The coal nodes will respawn. Then I found two nodes at the base of the cliffs around my base.

The first time I built something and a group of Pals came over to help, I audibly said "Awww." It was sweet. They looked so happy and pleased that they could help.

I still do not use guns or grenades. I did find a Legendary schematic for a crossbow, and that has been very helpful for lowering the level of high level Pals for capture and defending against thugs.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2024, 3:15 pm

The question came up "how many levels can a structure have?" So I built a tower. The short answer appears to be until one is out of range of one's storage. To test this notion, I may a build storage box higher up the tower, and then carry material to it. It is ninety-six levels so far.