"That's one small step for a man" "for man"

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jetso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2024, 8:40 pm

Will the first female who walks on the moon say "that's one small step for a woman, one giant leap for womankind."?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 8:48 pm

Quite possibly. Why not?

"Mankind" means all of the human race irrespective of gender. And since that honor has already been taken (humans have already landed on the moon...albeit all men) there would be no reason for a future female astronaut to say "mankind".

But since "womankind" only means the female half of the human race then this first female moon landing lady would be breaking the glass ceiling...and it WOULD be "a giant leap for womankind".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 11:37 pm

to be fair, armstrong prolly used up the lions' share of his spoons just landing the daggone thing in one piece. so his rhetorical diction understandably was a bit wobbly.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 11:59 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Maybe he was so excited at landing on the Moon that his diction was slightly off?

^^^ This is closest to the truth. NASA didn't actually expect a speech when Armstrong set foot on the moon. Armstrong therefore didn't have a script ready and likely he was overwhelmed at the history he was creating.

My guess? he "one small step for man" was a well worn cliche so it was the first thing that came to his mind. But as he took his next step he may have thought it wasn't enough for all of humanity for all history. Therefore he added "mankind" to cover humanity from the dawn of time. Had he done this in 2024 I suspect he would be cancelled for not mentioning women or trans.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 7:12 am

"One small step for man" is a "well worn cliche"???????

I had never heard anyone ever say it before I watched the Moonlanding live in 1969. And I have never heard the phrase used since. So how can it be "a well worn cliche"?

you're right about how he would be canceled today for being too gender-biased though. Lol!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 9:29 pm

My understanding (according to people older than me) is that one small step for man is a a cliché used to exaggerate an accomplishment or milestone. But you could be right, it might have originated with Armstrong in 1969.

I think I also misquoted Armstrong, he said one "giant leap" for mankind.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 1:16 pm

“I'll never be like other people, but that's alright because I'm a bear” - Paddington Bear

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 1:26 pm

“THE STARS DON’T LOOK BIGGER, BUT THEY DO LOOK BRIGHTER.”
Sally Ride

In 1983, astronaut Sally Ride launched aboard space shuttle Challenger and became the first American woman to go to space. Dr. Sally Ride’s flight made her a hero to generations of girls. After retiring from the astronaut corp., she cofounded the Sally Ride Science organization to encourage young girls to enter science, math, technology and engineering fields. Her legacy continues to inspire girls to pursue their interest in STEM fields, promising a bright future for women in space exploration.

source:

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/blog ... a-missions

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 1:03 am

"Man" has for decades been used to describe the human race as a whole. Like when Bambi's mom said "Man was in the forest".

But these days it's just not politically correct. And you can't say "men and women" because some people don't identify themselves as male OR female. You have to say "humans" or "humankind". But not all humans believe they are human, so I guess it's still wrong.

Of course, no one seems to think or care that not all people are right-handed. You still have to use your right hand when making a handshake or taking an oath. :roll:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 1:11 am

I wonder what the first cow on the moon will say?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 1:18 am

...mMmmMmOOoooOOoOoOOooooooo........

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 3:08 am

cyberdad wrote:

Alright, who's genius f****n' idea was this?!

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 3:31 am

Of all the things that seem troubling about the moon landing (and possibly altered), this is the thing you're most concerned with?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 4:19 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Of all the things that seem troubling about the moon landing (and possibly altered), this is the thing you're most concerned with?

Well the cow was thinking she should have jumped over the moon

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 8:03 am

cyberdad wrote:

Mooooooooooooooooooooooon!

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 10:41 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Of course, no one seems to think or care that not all people are right-handed. You still have to use your right hand when making a handshake or taking an oath. :roll:

If someone is physically disabled and incapable of using their right hand to shake hands, it is acceptable for them to shake hands with their left hand.