Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 10:32 pm

y-pod wrote:
I've never experienced envy. Is it an aspie thing? I don't feel stuff like envy, shame or embarrassment. When other people have nice things I'm happy for them. My home is full of old junk and it doesn't bother any of us. :D

I think a lot of people are covering up their insecurities with stuff. I don't know if stuff make them happier or not. It feels like chasing an illusive idea, to build your self worth on other people's admiration or respect. The best way to feel good is to better yourself. Aspies might have an advantage on this as we're good at learning things, and not so dependent on relationships. :)

I've certainly felt envy. If my loved ones and myself never had to worry about money, I might feel it less. I don't really envy other people's access to unnecessary luxuries, but it rather angers me to see that some people have excess resources to squander that other people worked hard to provide them with. I think a lot of people get kept down in a poverty trap in which they're exploited to make the wealthy richer while they themselves can't even get the things they need, such as adequate healthcare and non-squalid housing. The notion that anybody can achieve a good standard of living by hard work isn't true for everybody.

I rarely feel shame, as I don't see I've done much to be ashamed of, but I sometimes feel embarrassment, i.e. a sense of discomfort when I've done something of which others disapprove. I don't necessarily think they're right to disapprove, but it can still make me uncomfortable if I'm outnumbered or out-gunned. For example, I'd feel embarrassed in a group of macho men every time I showed any gentleness or sensitivity, but I'd still think they were the jerks.