Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2024, 4:15 pm

So a few years ago I decided for my own protection to have Autism listed on my driver's license in Virginia.
It seems though this has led to serious consequences.
First, for the past three years my doctor has been required to fill out form certifying I am able to drive since apparently Virginia considers this a safety issue.
Second, I have been on a policy with my parents and am now getting my own auto insurance.
I had my own insurance several years ago that was affordable.
Now?
I am getting nothing less than $2K for every six months. Most companies will not take me on, I could not figure out why until it hit me that perhaps by trying to protect myself with an Autism ID instead I have outed myself and will now be subjected to absurd car insurances rates.

I wanted to know:
1. Is this indeed likely? Has this happened to others?
2. How can I navigate this and get reasonable quotes?
3. Would it be possible for me to delete that I have Autism from my driver ID and medical record?
- If so, would this alleviate the issue or is it already done?
- If I got a license in another state would it have me listed as having this condition or am I able to not report and be alright?

Thanks.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 6:29 am

I don't have answers, but I am appalled if this is so. I saw the option in my state (to the west) and liked the theory but am also concerned about the practice. Let us know what you find out.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 11:47 am

Oh my goodness, that is horrible. I am so sorry you are going through this. And thank you for posting this. It’s such an important thing to know. I’m sorry I don’t have any advice for you. Please let us know if you find out what you are able to do.

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 11:54 am

Do they say why it's a safety issue?
Is there something specific in your individual autism traits?

I pay $250 /month or about $1500 for six months.
I'm autistic.
I have ADHD.
I have two strokes - and wasn't allowed to drive for four years.
I'm still cheaper than you.

Mind you, you seem to be a young man.
Unfortunately young men always pay more because discrimination.

Is it a brand new car?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 12:10 pm

Also, the fact that you have a driver’s license means you are able to drive. If your DMV does not require a doctor to say you are able to drive as an Autistic person, and you have a valid current license, i don’t understand why the insurance would contest it.

Wreck It Ralph