Australia Marks National Day That Stokes Patriotism & Anger

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 7:59 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/26/australia/australia-day-national-rallies-2024-intl-hnk/index.html

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 8:04 pm

A lot of this happened in Sydney where there is a large indigenous community protesting against the national holiday.
What we call "Australia day" the indigenous people call "Invasion day".

The protest is about moving the holiday from Jan 26.
Meanwhile far right groups are using this protest to pretend they are being patriotic.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/neo ... 5f0bw.html

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 1:07 am

wikipedia wrote:
The first Australia Day was established in response to Australia's involvement in World War I. In 1915, Ellen "Ellie" Wharton Kirke MBE, née Clements, mother of four servicemen, thought up the idea of a national day, with the specific aim of raising funds for wounded soldiers,[38] and the term was coined to stir up patriotic feelings.[39][37] In 1915 a committee to celebrate Australia Day was formed, and the date chosen was 30 July,[40] on which many fund-raising efforts were run to support the war effort.[41] It was also held in July in subsequent years of World War I: on 28 July 1916,[41] 27 July 1917,[42] and 26 July 1918.[43]

The idea of a national day to be celebrated on 26 January was slow to catch on, partly because of competition with Anzac Day.[44] Victoria adopted 26 January as Australia Day in 1931,[29] and by 1935, all states of Australia were celebrating 26 January as Australia Day (although it was still known as Anniversary Day in New South Wales).[26] The name "Foundation Day" persisted in local usage.[45]

Yeah the history of Australia day is questionable. I'm not a fan. Imagine someone moving into your house, forcing you to live in a dank corner of the property, taking your kids to live with other people where you'll never see them again, all the while treating you like an animal, then expecting you to celebrate the day it all happened? NSFW... We need a different day, and less southern cross neck tattoos.