Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 4:41 pm

Psychology Today
Louise Taylor, Ph.D., is a therapist and coach who specializes in working with neurodivergent clients and identifies as neurodivergent herself.

As well as working therapeutically, Louise has a Ph.D. from Queen's University in Belfast and is a researcher and writer. She is a committed environmental and human rights activist and child advocate who believes that if we want better societies, we must create them. She writes poetry, enjoys singing, dances when possible, and believes that we should live in such a way that our lives become art.

Quote:
In my work, I have started to move away from using terms associated purely with autism because I believe that autism is a condition that rarely comes along. The autism spectrum is huge and varied. I also believe the most damaging thing about being on the spectrum is how it places me at greater risk for other conditions and, if unsupported and unprotected, greatly impacts my health and well-being. In this article, I will argue that we need to think more in terms of neurotypes and dynamic disabilities to best help people who have been diagnosed with autism spectrum condition (ASC)

My medical notes and medical history would be confusing and concerning to medical professionals for numerous reasons, the main one being how many illnesses I have experienced and how I have been adversely impacted by events that often come easily to others. I suffered greatly throughout both of my pregnancies, but due to my medical history, it felt that nobody believed me when I told them how terrified I was.

I strongly suspect I may have been referred to as a "heart sink" patient. This is a patient who seems to be untreatable and who may present to health services regularly, with medical interventions being of little benefit to their symptoms or health. None of the GPs I saw for help were able to treat me properly or tell me I was autistic or that my brain functioned differently before my private diagnosis.

Autism is a medical condition with no cure, yet it increases the likelihood that I will have other conditions and alters how I experience the world. This awareness allowed me to understand that my health needed to be managed differently. There began my journey to understanding my unique neurotype, considering my health more holistically and from a person-centered position, as opposed to a general perspective, which often looks at ailments in a more compartmentalized fashion.

When we think in terms of neurotypes, we begin to create a richer, more detailed, and clearer view of the person as a whole. Treatments will reflect the person that is as unique as DNA or our fingerprints and not a condition. My brain is wired differently in relation to what is deemed to be 'normal' in medicine. How that impacts my physical body, as well as how I communicate, work, and relate to others should be taken into consideration. I had to find that out for myself, and learning it changed everything in terms of my health and wellness. To me, autism is proof that I am not 'typical' in medical terms, but it is only a start when beginning to understand my health and how I manage it. If we are atypical (and I enjoy being so), then we should be treated as such, and our conditions managed by recognizing the typical treatments will not be sufficient. I propose we begin to think more creatively and progressively, by considering neurotypes as dynamic and individual.

My heart sinks when I hear GPs use the term "heart sink," as I suspect many of these people are autistic and undiagnosed. In my experience, the health system is currently not adequately set up nor able to meet the needs of these patients or support them appropriately.

For me to have a good life, I prioritize regulating my nervous system as much as possible. My health and wellness are paramount if I am to be able to work (which is very important to me), parent, and live a life I am happy with. The way I do that is by understanding my neurotype or neuroblend as I refer to it. These are terms I use and have made up for my practice to support clients who do not fall under one condition. I accept self-diagnosis, as I understand that receiving a diagnosis is a privilege many people are denied. Those who are undiagnosed are often unsupported and may suffer due to not having access to diagnostic assessments or face long waiting lists.

Many late-diagnosed neurodivergent adults are often considered to be anomalies, enigmas, glitches in the matrix, particularly when we have what is referred to as a "spiky profile." Having a spiky profile means that a person is proficient and often very capable in certain areas and possibly deficient or incapable in others. This can be confusing to people with limited experience of these conditions. This term allows us to consider that invisible disabilities are complex and that while a person can look and speak a certain way, that does not mean they don't need support and accommodations in other areas.

A lot of my work involves helping people to understand their unique neurotype by understanding themselves better by being honest about their strengths and limitations. For instance, my neurotype/neuroblend is most definitely not that of a prototypical autistic female. My neuroblend is a combination of autism, ADHD, dyslexia, and dyspraxia. The most prominent of these is ADHD, which I have not been able to get a diagnosis for yet, due to waiting lists and a lack of services.

The truth is that autism is a relentless condition. It evolves quickly, and it is incredibly difficult for those who aren’t living with it to understand the intensity with which it impacts everything in our lives.

There is nothing wrong with being autistic, but it is difficult being autistic in this world and that needs to be understood, accepted, and respected.

In my work, I am neuro-affirming and tell all the people I work with that they are the experts on their conditions and their lives.

My heart never sinks when I meet a new client. Rather, it is happy they have reached out for support, and that is enough to lift me because many others haven’t been as fortunate.

I can definitely relate to the spiky profile concept. Neuroblend makes a lot of sense also.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 7:31 am

"spiky profile" is a hallmark of autism diagnosis and is beginning to be used to identify hidden autism.

If you have had neurological testing and have super high and super low test results, that is a very huge clue that you have unevenly developed neurology... which is what autism "is".

No longer do professionals who are up to date on current autism information seek only behavioral traits, now they are seeking signs of sensory processing struggles and other neurological signs.

Not a moment too soon!

Yes, if we have multiple diagnoses and do not respond to standard "treatment" for those diagnoses, that is a good sign that we have hidden autism.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 8:20 am

Quite a good article.

Spiky profiles make it difficult to sustain a job sometimes, probably why I’ve been hired and fired multiple times.

The way the economy is structured therefore makes competitive work difficult to get. It’s not the employers fault they just want you to do the job they don’t care what alphabet conditions people have

Being able to do the job one day but not the next makes us a very unattractive hiring decision which is why most employers overlook autistic people for professional roles and choose different disabilities to tick that box.

I don’t see how that issue will ever be resolved without new treatments to give us some stability being invented in the future.

- George Bernie Shaw

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 9:26 am

Autism is the only thing that just explains my spiky profile.
Trying to fit anything else did not.

Blend?
A good portion of my own 'blend' is outside autism.
It is not truly neurological, but metabolic and psychological -- and very likely untreated; something very relevant to my family history, their upbringing and biological make up.
None of my outcomes and reactions seem to match too many autistic accounts, especially even related to socializing.

This is the area that I want to treat, yet cannot afford.

... And yet that does not explain where my autism came from.
None of my family members that I know of have 'spiky profiles'.

None of them are maskers of that particular kind or anything of that sort.
At worst, they do have psych issues tied to their biochemistry than anything and personality issues from upbringing -- in which also unfortunately resonates in my own case.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.