There may be hope for Christian Evangelicals.

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 3:21 am

There may be hope for REAL Christian Evangelicals. No, I am not talking about our Lord and Savior (although I should).

I am referring to a few short paragraphs in a recent CNN news blurb.

Chen predicts that "America will become more secular, and Christianity less conservative" as non-White evangelicals increase in number.

Chen says the browning of Christianity in the US owes much to the passage of the 1965 Immigration and Nationality Act. That law paved the way for millions of immigrants from Asian, Africa, and Latin American countries to come to the US.

"When we tell the story about American Christianity, we might start with the Puritans -- it is basically a European story", says Chen, author of "Work Pray Code: When Work Becomes Religion in Silicon Valley". "But what if we were to tell the story of American Christianity by what it is starting to look like and how it is changing today? That story begins in a place like Taiwan, Korea, or Mexico".

Source:  This CNN Article 

Basically, while there is no "Great Replacement" conspiracy, there is a steady (if slow) increase in the fraction of Christian Evangelicals who identify as non-white. Eventually (some may say) this non-white fraction may become greater than 50%.

(Okay, that last last sentence is pure speculation on my part; but a man can dream, can't he?)

If that ever happens, what will become of the version of American history written by Ms. Lily White and her child Jimmy Crow?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 6:38 am

I am not convinced of this, considering increasingly draconian laws regarding abortion and LGBT issues.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 3:37 pm

Why assume people of color will be less fundamentalist?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 5:55 pm

What is this "hope" that you are wishing for?

Hope for what?

Many immigrants of color convert to Evangelicalism. Or to Mormonism.

Its more likely than not that more than 50 percent of Evangelicals will be POC in the near future. Nothing far fetched about the prediction.

Doesnt mean that they will be less dominionist in their fervor to mix state and religion ...and not seek to roll back lbgtq rights, and reproductive rights.

Doesnt mean that their beliefs will change and that they will stop denying evolution.

In theory ...yes...you would think it would subvert any attempt to combine Evangelical Christianity the Nativism or with racism..that it would negate "Christian nationalism".

But even that wouldnt necessarily be so. I have heard of cases of Blacks (for example) being members of cults that taught that Blacks were inferior.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 7:58 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
What is this "hope" that you are wishing for?  Hope for what?
Hope for an America no longer dominated by White Nationalism.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 8:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Agreed, this seems like a completely baseless assumption to make. White nationalism is only part of the problem.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2024, 8:39 pm

From my understanding, Christianity is rapidly declining in the US, BUT the more extreme hyper-political, Trump worshiping churches are coalescing and gaining numbers compared to the rest of the churches.

This nastiness has spread through white Evangelical churches like wildfire. I'm not sure what the end of this is, but it doesn't give me hope for Evangelicals. If anything I could see white Evangelicalism splitting off and becoming its own bizarre offshoot of Christianity like Mormonism. That is my non-scholarly opinion, though. It's just that what I'm seeing in the movement is bizarre. Like how Mormonism integrates America into its mythology, white Evangelicals are doing the same. They worship the USA as much if not more than Jesus.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 9:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Black people in the US do disproportionately vote Democrat. There are historical reasons for this.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 10:07 pm

colliegrace wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Black people in the US do disproportionately vote Democrat. There are historical reasons for this.

To be fair, one can be both a religious fundamentalist and vote Democratic.

Like you say, there's historical reasons why some communities are more likely to vote a certain way currently but that doesn't mean other factors within that community might not lead to them voting differently as a bloc later on.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 10:35 pm

Christianity is collapsing in Western Europe. Both Protestantism and Catholicism.

But both are expanding in the third world like wild fire.

The Pope's flock is expanding in Africa but shrinking around him in Europe.

In the US many local churches of mainline Protestant with White congregations churches get fed up with the...progressiveness of the national church organization (like tolerating gays) and end up going rogue and then...forming alliances with local churches in Black Africa.

So maybe the Evangelicals will become...less racists...and less anti immigrant...so they can maintain other views.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 10:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
So maybe the Evangelicals will become...less racists...and less anti immigrant...so they can maintain other views.

I'm picturing an alternative universe where the left is peddling replacement theory nonsense because of all the immigrants arriving with conservative values.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2024, 10:44 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

I think that there's a lot of "White Savior Complex" nonsense going on here. An uneasy alliance, for sure.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 6:39 am

Harmonie wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I think that there's a lot of "White Savior Complex" nonsense going on here. An uneasy alliance, for sure.

Huh?

A "White savior" is White character of a movie who becomes a hero because he rescues nonwhite folks from White oppressors.

I dont see what that has to do with it.

I am suggesting that White Evangelicals (some of whom might be racists or at least xenophobic) might swallow their racism to make common cause with brown immigrants against the common domestic foe...namely the progressive establlishment of country, or the Woke elites who run the mainstream Protestant denominations. Dont know where you get "White savior" in that . Arguably the non woke might be forced to become "woke" in some ways ( lay aside racism) to maintain anti wokeness in other ways (anti LGBTQ).

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 7:21 am

1950s America, which Evangelicals and Catholics are trying to recreate, was as least as bad as Nazi Germany.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2024, 8:23 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Harmonie wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Huh?

A "White savior" is White character of a movie who becomes a hero because he rescues nonwhite folks from White oppressors.

I dont see what that has to do with it.

I am suggesting that White Evangelicals (some of whom might be racists or at least xenophobic) might swallow their racism to make common cause with brown immigrants against the common domestic foe...namely the progressive establlishment of country, or the Woke elites who run the mainstream Protestant denominations. Dont know where you get "White savior" in that . Arguably the non woke might be forced to become "woke" in some ways ( lay aside racism) to maintain anti wokeness in other ways (anti LGBTQ).

Sorry. Guess what I'm trying to say is that the Evangelicals of the past focusing extensively on mission trips to Africa is the epitome of White Savior Complex.

As for what you're talking about, IDK. Right now anti-immigration is the right's main talking point. Yes, a number of immigrants coming in are conservative and Christian, but the right is too far up their butt to care about that right now for whatever reason (or really it goes too much against their narrative that we're being "invaded" by people who don't share their values). Or if they are, they're doing it behind the scenes.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 8:29 am

Thats all too true.

In fact the Dems caved and agreed to kick immigrant ass in the current bill...but the GOP is willing to...sell Israel down the river...sell Ukraine down the river...and f**k over the US itself... by turning down the bill...just so Trump can get credit for kicking immigrant ass when he gets reelected next year.