Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 7:35 pm

A U.S. senator Tom Cotton has grilled the Singaporean CEO of TikTok about his nationality and suggested he was affiliated with the Chinese Communist Party, Singaporeans are complaining about ignorant — or even racist — views of their country.

TikTok CEO Shou Chew and executives of other technology firms such as Meta, X and Snap testified Wednesday before U.S. lawmakers on online harm to children from social media.
https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... -106891320

About 75% of Singapore’s approximately 5.9 million population is ethnically Chinese, a result of Chinese immigrants moving to Singapore in the 1800s and early 1900s. Many young Singaporeans today do not identify with China as a cultural motherland.

Interesting though, why would a company owned by the CCP hire a Singaporean national to be CEO?

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 8:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Interesting though, why would a company owned by the CCP hire a Singaporean national to be CEO?

To make money from Americans.

If spreading culture is the intention, they will certainly screw it up.Considering kemusan dance banned by the government five years ago.

If Trump's tough attitude continues, it is normal for the company to sell to Microsoft.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 11:54 pm

belijojo wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

To make money from Americans.

If spreading culture is the intention, they will certainly screw it up.Considering kemusan dance banned by the government five years ago.

If Trump's tough attitude continues, it is normal for the company to sell to Microsoft.

I get the purpose of Tiktok, it's highly lucrative financially for the CCP. However, what I am curious is why choose a CEO from Singapore and not from China? my guess is they would say that Shou Chew is highly qualified and Singapore is a leading light in the global online/tech industry.

A more cynical (and perhaps conspiratorial) answer is that Singapore is 75% chinese and that overseas Chinese have long been covertly supporting the capitalist expansion of mainland China.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 12:19 am

Zhou’s Singaporean identity and background with both Chinese and Western cultures may be beneficial to helping TikTok survive in the complex international political environment and regulation.

In the past few years, TikTok’s senior management team was mostly composed of non-Chinese people. Although a large number of Chinese were introduced at the end of last year.

I spent an hour collecting information and admitted that I really didn’t know the answer
Why do you think a Chinese CEO is more acceptable?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 3:35 am

belijojo wrote:
In the past few years, TikTok’s senior management team was mostly composed of non-Chinese people.

If this is true then I agree with Zhou, senator Cotton was being a racist.