Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 5:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
belijojo wrote:
Quote:
The government is focused on stopping illegal boat arrivals from countries experiencing civil war, famine and other catastrophes in Africa and South Asia.

I'm not quite sure about the current situation.
Will the governments of these countries still accept deported refugees while they are busy fighting wars?
What's the harm in Australia turning these people directly into taxpayers?
Of course, I know it is difficult for these people to have money to pay taxes. Why can Chinese immigrants have money to pay taxes?

I heard Sunak dumped all the migrants in Rwanda, it looks like just putting the ones from China on that boat too. Why don't the United States and Australia adopt this simple solution? Is it out of human rights considerations?

All good points. I don't have an immediate answer. .
There are too many unanswered questions in this world.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 5:53 am

MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
belijojo wrote:
Quote:
The government is focused on stopping illegal boat arrivals from countries experiencing civil war, famine and other catastrophes in Africa and South Asia.

Will the governments of these countries still accept deported refugees while they are busy fighting wars?
Of course, I know it is difficult for these people to have money to pay taxes. Why can Chinese immigrants have money to pay taxes?

I heard Sunak dumped all the migrants in Rwanda, it looks like just putting the ones from China on that boat too. Why don't the United States and Australia adopt this simple solution? Is it out of human rights considerations?

All good points. I don't have an immediate answer. But one thing is for sure. Chinese government always plans long term - 100 years ahead. Western governments plan for the duration a political party is in office. Rishi Sunak will be gone and forgotten like his policies.

I wasn't aware that the Chinese government plans for a time 100 years in the future. Their approach to choosing their leadership is more orderly. I was impressed that they seemed to replace their President every 10 years — very orderly. This no longer happens, probably as a result of multiple crises (I don't claim to be an expert).

During the height of the communist cultural revolution Mao honoured the British 1898 Convention for the Extension of Hong Kong Territory: the New Territories and outlying islands leased for 99 years until 1997. They patiently waited.

I am sure they are waiting for some other event to clock over in due course leading to the absorption of Taiwan too.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 6:47 am

cyberdad wrote:
MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
belijojo wrote:
Quote:

All good points. I don't have an immediate answer. But one thing is for sure. Chinese government always plans long term - 100 years ahead. Western governments plan for the duration a political party is in office. Rishi Sunak will be gone and forgotten like his policies.

I wasn't aware that the Chinese government plans for a time 100 years in the future. Their approach to choosing their leadership is more orderly. I was impressed that they seemed to replace their President every 10 years — very orderly. This no longer happens, probably as a result of multiple crises (I don't claim to be an expert).

During the height of the communist cultural revolution Mao honoured the British 1898 Convention for the Extension of Hong Kong Territory: the New Territories and outlying islands leased for 99 years until 1997. They patiently waited.

I am sure they are waiting for some other event to clock over in due course leading to the absorption of Taiwan too.

He just took the path of least resistance.

As for Taiwan, I think the CCP has been emphasizing that issue lately as a way to distract from problems on the mainland.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 3:52 pm

MaxE wrote:
As for Taiwan, I think the CCP has been emphasizing that issue lately as a way to distract from problems on the mainland.

Taiwan are being strangled slowly, I think they know it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2024, 6:49 am

cyberdad wrote:
MaxE wrote:

How is it being "strangled"?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2024, 8:12 am

elotepreparado wrote:
MaxE wrote:
elotepreparado wrote:
In case you were talking about me at the end of your post:
Me and my family here on the Texas side did not and would not vote Trump. Most people in my area think that the walls would be ineffective and that the floating border is inhumane. There is no real solution that wouldn't anger a lot of taxpayers or leave many immigrants in poverty. I am definitely not anti-immigration as my family is mexican-american and my grandparents and parents were the first to immigrate to the US. Most of my family in the US came here legally. A couple family members that didn't were deported a couple years ago. It was horrific for everyone involved because they were raised here in Texas and now they cannot visit their children or family in the US.

Seeing the effects of deportation on my family and families around me and hearing from my family in Mexico about what is going on there makes me very sympathetic for immigrants coming to the US for a safer and more prosperous life.

I can recall seeing a discussion on Reddit about Hispanic people near the border hating illegals because they make Hispanic people look bad. They seem to think Biden doesn't care about the security of the border. I believe they also had a lot of anger towards Obama. Also many are Christians and don't feel that Biden is sufficiently pro-life despite being Catholic. Those people support Trump, although I couldn't say that they admire him per se.

The real takeaway from the discussion was that progressive intellectuals on the East Coast are foolish to assume that any Hispanics are a natural constituency for the Democrats, and Democrats are taking them for granted rather than listening to what they actually want.

Oh, this is true. There definitely a lot of conservative Hispanics in Texas. A lot of the conservative view comes from our culture and also from the most common religion that we have which is Roman Catholic. There are a lot of people here that strongly dislike the anti-immigrant and kind of racist views of some conservatives but there are also plenty of latinos that want to dissociate themselves from immigrant and farm labor issues and stick to supporting family values in politics. The number of openly Republican latinos in my community definitely went up after Obama left office. It created a big mess in 2020 when we had protests.

East Coast and whoever else thinks latinos are almost always Democrat should also keep in mind that a lot of Mexican-americans in general could be liberal politically but when family values and religion are brought into politics like in the US, many from all generations will lean towards Republican.

Something else I should probably point out. Here in the Mid Atlantic, where I live, we feel absolutely ZERO impact from immigration issues associated with the border. These things might as well be happening in New Guinea. The US is a big place.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 3:47 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
MaxE wrote:

How is it being "strangled"?

https://www.reuters.com/markets/asia/ch ... 023-12-21/