Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

07 Feb 2024, 4:09 pm

I was wondering is it a Aspie issue that we can't at times take a joke or get angry easy? I am confused because I feel I have a good sense of humor, although get offended right away or fly off handle. I don't know if it's because I have been through a lot of social issues since I was a kid and life trauma, but I appear stoic or checking everyone first if any threats. The example is with women, one was joking with me saying she thought I was sexy, but wouldn't be with me in a intimate way, then I got angry and emotional had to calm down, and she said you can't take a joke? I feel bad because I see guys my age, able to let loose more and enjoy themselves, even at my old job the men joked with the women more and had a good time while working, is it possible I have trauma or small PTSD?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 1:06 am

A joke is only a joke if it's funny for both people. That sound like a nasty joke to me.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 1:21 am

I over-guessing other people's intentions in order to choose how to response, which makes me seem unresponsive. Normal people shouldn't be like this, they should refuse directly as long as they feel unhappy.
I think the example you gave is the first step to bullying. I wonder if I am too sensitive.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 5:23 pm

Aspies can do that, but it cuts both ways - we might sometimes make jokes that don't go down well. Personally I don't like this "can't you take a joke?" thing. If somebody cracks a joke and it genuinely upsets somebody, it's usually best to apologise.