OK bill would charge abortion recipients with murder

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 8:14 pm

Agreed. For whatever problems might exist with other political blocs, none of the other blocs are openly discussing plans to eradicate people they find problematic.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2024, 10:23 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Agreed. For whatever problems might exist with other political blocs, none of the other blocs are openly discussing plans to eradicate people they find problematic.

It's amazing how this post-World War II video feels so relevant to today, isn't it?

Scary, very scary. I know people are sadly numbed to Nazi comparisons since so many things have been absurdly compared (most recently pandemic measures. :roll: ). But I do think that when suggesting "eradication" of a group of people ("in public" or not) happens in a mainstream party conference people really need to say stop and reflect. Not because it's inevitable that the worst is going to happen, but to put a stop to it before it can get anywhere near happening. We are still far away from the event horizon so to speak. However, alarms are blaring.

I also find it interesting all of the "truth" used in the video. We live in a world where misinformation and disinformation is spread widely. Conspiracy theories are running wild like wildfire and ignorant people have massive audiences full of people who aren't willing to fact check (unfortunately, understandably, you want to take people at their word. Why would they lie, you ask yourself. But they do!). In a way, many people use the word "truth", but they speak the opposite - falsehoods. This is especially prevalent among Christian Nationalists like those who control Oklahoma. It's downright doublespeak.

Also the lines about if you don't believe in freedoms for minorities, you don't believe in freedom is... wow. So on point. Another thing we see so prevalent in the very same Christian Nationalists. They throw around the words "freedom" and "liberty" but... I can't say they're for either when they're so adamant on taking away freedoms and liberties from us women and LGBT people. It makes no sense, no sense at all. Again, doublespeak. (I know that they have a very narrow idea of freedom, but you see... the fact that freedom and liberty has to apply to others is a fact that is so evident that even a video from the 50s [or thereabouts, I forget exactly when that film was made] conveyed it clearly. I can not even conceptualize calling the people of a nation free when they don't have reproductive freedom and the right to be LGBT. It's contradictory to ban freedoms like that and then claim you are free. It makes no sense at all. Just like slavery is anti-freedom, not allowing us women to work, have bank accounts, etc. is anti-freedom, etc.)

Anyway, I went way off there. This was purely about reproductive freedom, I know. :oops:

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 10:28 pm

Harmonie wrote:
I'm moving to a suburb of Hartford, CT.

Yes, the Hartford area is very LGBTQ friendly. I know a girl who moved here after transitioning.

Last edited by BTDT on 12 Feb 2024, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 10:34 pm

Harmonie wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Harmonie wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I want to move to Oklahoma, now and I'm being serious.

Until they decide to come after trans people.

They 100% already are. There's like a dozen plus anti-trans bills proposed this session.

Disappointing but not at all shocking. It always bears repeating that just because someone is aligned with a political bloc on a single issue, doesn't mean those people are actually allies.

Conservatives are pretty open about their hatred for the disabled and for trans people. I'm curious what leads to disabled and/or trans people supporting political blocs who openly hate them because they're aligned on a single issue.

It's like sheep voting for the wolves instead of the shepherds because harvesting wool is bad mmmkay. Well, you might have an issue with wool, but do you know what the wolves have planned?

Yes, it's completely baffling to me. The Republican party is explicitly anti-trans. A speaker at CPAC (a mainstream right wing conference in the US) even called for "the eradication of transgender people from public life". Even with the "from public life" that doesn't make it sound much better. We all know what he really meant and it's horrifying.

No matter what one thinks of the rest of the right's policies that is evil and makes supporting the party completely untenable all of itself. I'm not a single-issue voter by any means, but the Republican party is completely off the rails on trans issues and many others in such a way that it is extremely dangerous to those people. It is critical that the Republican party faces staggering defeats until they moderate because... lets just say that getting to the point of using terms like "eradication" for a group of people has never ended well when the party calling for that gets into power. :pale:

I don't think they will moderate. One-party rule by the Dems is probably the only option, and the Dems need to move further to the left.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 12:04 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I have been trying to relocate to either NYC, San Francisco, or Seattle for nearly 10 years (unrelated to the abortion issue), but one has to make $200,000/year to afford Seattle and $300,000 to afford the other two.

Buy another house or three cheap in Texas and rent them out, move to a coastal city and use the rental proceeds to sustain yourself. It won't be 2-300k, but you could live there with a job + profits from your properties elsewhere.

Quite a few people here in BC own rental properties in other Provinces and even countries. People can't afford to buy anything here but they can buy a handful of apartments in Alberta, or a house or two or whatever and make some positive cash flow every month. Well, some people - I'm not in a position to do that.

Also, this law is crazy. It SHOULD get people to vote blue there. If not, those people are crazy and may even deserve their crazy government and crazy laws - kinda like if a majority of Americas were to re-elect the insurrectionist clown. It's on full display for the world to see just how crazy all these people are.. so, if people are stupid enough to elect them then I guess they made their bed and have to lay in it.