Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 2:58 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
babybird wrote:
There's very little that I wouldn't do for money but I draw the line at licking envelopes

:lol:

Sponge

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2024, 5:52 pm

I think that if you're gonna work for minimum wage then you need to get a job where the time passes by quickly

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2024, 6:29 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I hate overly dramatic interview questions.

'Name a time you showed bravery in your career!'

What? :? I mean I spoke to the general public, that's brave.

'How did you fundamentally improve the system or inact change at your last job?'

Uh, I didn't? What are you on about? I worked in an office, I didn't lead a revolution. I just did my job. It was not a collaborative - we take suggestions - kind of place. If I'd suggested improvements then I would have just been yelled at for it not being my place.

I've genuinely had these questions and they annoy me a lot.

Who asks these sorts of questions?

I just sat at a table for 3.5 hours this morning at a Black Law Students Association convention and spoke to law students answering and asking questions. I don’t waste my time or their time with stupid shite like that.

Unserious interviewers ask such questions. The type of company with too many Indians and not enough chiefs (if you’ll pardon the expression). Their business will be circling the toilet soon.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2024, 8:08 pm

rse92 wrote:
Who asks these sorts of questions?

I just sat at a table for 3.5 hours this morning at a Black Law Students Association convention and spoke to law students answering and asking questions. I don’t waste my time or their time with stupid shite like that.

Unserious interviewers ask such questions. The type of company with too many Indians and not enough chiefs (if you’ll pardon the expression). Their business will be circling the toilet soon.

I appreciate it when interviewers ask questions that are actually relevant to the job. You might be surprised just how refreshing that can be.

In my experience, these types of questions are asked by small companies that 'want to liven things up' by bringing in new people. Aka 'Our current methods to run a business aren't working and we want to get with the times' or 'We're really big on marketing mantras and ideals above all else'. Maybe that's just me being cynical but that's the impression I get.

Oisin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Feb 2024, 9:22 am

Aspinator wrote:
I applied for a part-time job at a manned dump site, yet they wanted me to go through a lengthy interview process; required references and a drug test. I wanted to say "are you fuxxing kidding me? This is a job at a dump; when the compactor gets full of trash I press a button and compact the trash (super high- tech) I am retired so its been awhile since I was on the job market but I did think "what an overkill" :o

Didn't they require you to have some kind of technical diploma? That's the next thing to do that job.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 11:16 am

When I'm in a pub I always think bar work looks like a good job

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 6:01 am

I've an interview for only the 1 position that's available possibly in a pool of over 100 applicants / potential interviewees, in an industry i've never worked in and the interview details have been so vague as to what I need to research, if anything. I'm always feeling nervous and mind goes blank no matter how much I prepare, I might just go in sit down and ask if I have the job or not, I guarantee going in with that is going to have the same result as if I had gone through the interview properly.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 12:41 pm

Aw best of luck with that.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 12:49 pm

Good luck, Scorpius.

Stormyweathers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2024, 11:19 am

babybird wrote:
I'd hate to have a job where all I did all day was lick envelopes

https://www.wikihow.com/Seal-an-Envelop ... the%20seal.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 7:18 pm

I think my least favourite type of interview (followed closely by the phone interview) is the pre-recorded type.

Recently I was given a list of questions that I need to record myself on camera answering. I only have a couple of days to submit it as well. Ugh. I find it so awkward.

Then, if I do well enough, I'll make it to the second interview which is in person.

It won't be easy since the questions don't really align with my experience. I think I'll get up early tomorrow and look at it with a fresh pair of eyes. Hopefully I'll find a solution.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 4:10 pm

I think work should be completely transactional and fair whereas you just do the amount of work that you feel is worth what you are getting paid for doing and no more.

I'm thinking that bad employers expect their employees to go above and beyond that and I fear that some employees fear losing their jobs if they don't go above and beyond that.

I've certainly been in that situation in my life.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 5:25 pm

babybird wrote:
I think work should be completely transactional and fair whereas you just do the amount of work that you feel is worth what you are getting paid for doing and no more.

I'm thinking that bad employers expect their employees to go above and beyond that and I fear that some employees fear losing their jobs if they don't go above and beyond that.

I've certainly been in that situation in my life.

This is why I don't like when I walk into an interview and I hear 'Overtime is mandatory'.

I'm always a little tempted to suggest that they should change the work hours on the posting if overtime is regular and mandatory. Is it really overtime if it's practically scheduled in already?

Consider me old-fashioned but I'd rather have a job that starts when it's scheduled and ends when it's scheduled and only goes into overtime if the office would implode without it.

---

Also, semi related rant but I wish interviewers would respect the time of their applicants. If a task takes more than thirty minutes, then I think it should be paid.

I had a job that wanted me to work a full 9 till 5 day as an interview. That's not an interview! That's just free labour at that point.

Jobs that are out here wanting a full on presentation and days of work are taking the absolute mickey I freaking swear. That's time I could be using to put in more applications! :x I didn't just make my portfolio for fun!

Ugh. I hate the job search.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 4:36 pm

I'm remembering some of the absolute meaningless yet fascinating conversations I've had with my work colleagues over the years.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 2:12 pm

I'm really fast at washing the dishes me.

I think that should impress any future employer

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 2:16 pm

babybird wrote:
I'm really fast at washing the dishes me.

I think that should impress any future employer

:lol: