How to stay sane with stupid geopolitics? tips?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 3:21 pm

DanielW wrote:
simple - don't engage with more of it than you can handle.

^^^ This is the simplest solution. All of this is out of our hands anyway. The moment it makes you feel that it impinges the quality of your life, it might be best to block reading about it or watching the news. COVID news for example, Keeping an eye on things that might be important (Do I get a booster before travelling) is fine, but stewing over epidemic numbers overseas does not help one's anxiety.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 7:49 pm

AnnaTheSquirrel wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Don't watch/read news. Ever.

hmm. Not getting informed about what people go through in other places in the world feels kind of betraying to the victims. (which is weird because my despair and empathy does nothing to lesser their suffering.)

But I could do it. I could cater to my need to care for a victim in some other way (more local, more efficient) and ignore just all world news. Is that not betrayel? am I "allowed" to do this?

Another point is I need this global news data to incorporate into my informed/scientific understanding of the human species. Or do I? Maybe world actors should not have input on what a human is?

(btw, I don't consume news with spin. Opinions don't stick to me, only info.)

goldfish21 wrote:
We'd all be better off just focusing on ourselves, being present in the moment, working, getting exercise, doing things - anything. Playing instruments, cooking meals, gardening, studying etc.

I agree that our best individual lives are lived on this scale. Isn't this Epicurus' philosophy? Gardener-philosophers? Vonnegut.

Would you advocate I just stop thinking about human interaction on a global scale at all? No longer try to tie it in with the human interaction I experience on that daily scale you describe (and which I enjoy)?
Are we even 'allowed' to do so, to 'leave global victims behind' by not even gaining knowledge about their faiths?

(yes, I really am this dense. I'd love for you to spell out the obvious things for me. Because I don't see them.)

I think you have to find a balance. It's good to stay informed on what is going on in the world, just so you can create a mental map for yourself so you know what is happening (and also because you might be able to help, even if it's just knowing who to vote for), but you don't want to get overwhelmed. I think moderation is the key. I usually scan the front page (online) of the Guardian and just read the headlines. Sometimes I'll click on an article if I want to know more about a particular subject, but I am careful about how much I consume.

I also get some of my news from late-night comedy shows, which is kind of like getting the news from someone who is on your side and is trying to lighten the load. They're very US-centric, but I like Stephen Colbert and Seth Meyers.

AnnaTheSquirrel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2024, 9:42 am

bee33 wrote:
just so you can create a mental map for yourself so you know what is happening

Again with the right words! You. Thank you.

My existing mental map of the world became outdated, what with the rise of trumpism and science-denial.
This also left me with unfitting ways to relate to the world at the global level.
Hence my 'onthutsing' about geopolitics. I couldn't 'understand' what was happening and I didn't have 'scenario's' for my behaviour.

('onthutst' translates to someone mentally coming undone, but with a connection to mashed potato. 'Hutspot' is a Dutch dish of mashed up potatoes, carrots, onion and meat and gravy. 'Onthutst' = dumbfounded disassembled mashed potatoes?)

At the moment a new mental map is forming.

Today I thought that maybe humanity is merely transitioning into a new Medieval Era.
This happened before and we know what happens after (renaissance) and this would be really no big deal (in terms of surprise). I don't like it and life can easily get way way darker than it is now but observing geopolitics like this would give me a frame to understand it. Study it, even. I like studying phenomena.

History gives plenty of examples of times when society was ruled by unkind stupidness. Medieval times, witch hunting times, 1920's USA anti-semitism. I'm now considering we've never ever emerged from it (US daily racism, sexism, wars) and what would Darwin say about that. I'm taking a more detached view I think.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 2:54 pm

^It sounds like you are someone who needs to engage with what is going on and understand it, rather than duck away from it altogether. I think I feel that way too, that I don't want to just not know what is happening. But I get upset about it easily so I have to tread carefully.

AnnaTheSquirrel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2024, 2:55 am

bee33 wrote:
^It sounds like you are someone who needs to engage with what is going on and understand it, rather than duck away from it altogether. I think I feel that way too, that I don't want to just not know what is happening. But I get upset about it easily so I have to tread carefully.

yes.
I need to understand it, not just know it.
Understanding is just my way of dealing with the information, I think. Shying away from information is another way. Getting emotionally distraught by it is a third way.

I suspect I also make an assumption that my engagement following the understanding needs to be emotionally. There too could be other ways perhaps? 'Logically' comes to mind. Oh and dismisson as a third way. There're must be others.

These are all choices one can make (I hope). How handle the offering of the information? How react to the information if you've chosen to absorb it? Gotta find out what suits us each individually. Getting easily upset is a trait we've got to take into account, a given we can't change. Threading carefully is very wise.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 1:29 am

One can be so informed, yet far from worried.
Former is either watch or read the news or don't.
The latter is tricky; either care too much or don't.

Both? Know what's relevant to your life.

A storm across the ocean with thousand deaths? The best you can do is donate.
Unless you have dear ones there, indiscriminate 'sympathy' will drive you insane.

The same can be said with dictators across the continent.
The best you can do is voice your disapproval over the internet. Worry if the local economy or environment is directly or indirectly affected by said issue.

A storm just few miles away from your locale? That's when you should worry. Best you can do is prepare to survive, use that energy on surviving.

Unless you're a first responder, someone capable of volunteering in disasters or someone who coordinates city wide safety -- you're not a superhero or some philanthropist who can convert their yard into an evacuation station; stay at home or evacuate as advised.

Now, getting dictators in your locale -- that's when you can engage with your worries.
You can choose to lay low and stay quiet or join some crusade; whichever you're capable of contributing and commiting.

You can consume all the news and media, and still don't end up being driven insane...

Consuming how much per day -- that's another issue, too, even if one's hobby is by stimulating themselves with consuming media...
In which one would find a way to not be overwhelmed into mental exhaustion.

Find the most summarized and with the most broad?
"Specialize" with the details consumed where it's more relevant to your life or whichever you're capable of...
At least that's the bare minimum of "abstaining"; which is for mental energy's sake.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 3:44 pm

I just don't watch the news and that's how I deal with it.

Sweet Pea hugs

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2024, 10:19 am

I also struggle with geopolitics these days. Sometimes someone will say something, and it triggers this underlying fear I have for the future ... and not just for mine, but the overwhelming feeling of helplessness for the planet in general.

And I certainly recognize that until things become actually physically unsafe for me, and I doubt they will very much in my lifetime, it doesn't really matter all that much. But it does.

So I just do my best to find the things that will improve my life and the quality of those around me (wife, dog, cat, future friends). It does help, but it doesn't make the fear go away.

I don't think ignoring the news is healthy either (for myself). But certainly in small doses, and from multiple sources on the same issue.