Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

VictorOfAveyron
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Feb 2024, 7:22 am

i have ASD 1, diagnosed well into work after uni. i wish i had known in high school.
my sister, just out of high school, is very similar. she doesnt know about my diagnosis (nobody does). i dont know how to talk to her and her problems (shes effectively laying flat), neither do our parents.

in spite of our similarity, i dont know how to talk to her successfully. i already offered and told her how to get a little help for some things i know she needs support for, she understood but hasnt acted yet.

i will not just assume she has ASD, but i want to help her. what would you recommend? do i give her a book/link to read on ASD to see how she responds to the content herself? do i tell her about my diagnosis and explain how the symptoms relate to me? should i ask her to see a doctor, and in what way? i need to act, because i see no one else will, but i dont know how.

PS: i tried unsuccessfully to search for similar posts. please refer me to available useful ideas if you know about them.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 8:04 am

Just casually say that some of the issues she is experiencing relate to autism traits.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 8:09 am

I have several siblings, all of whom are neurodiverse, thinking at least 2 of them are ASD. I sent them each a letter explaining about my very late autism diagnosis and included a book by Cynthia Kim called "I think I might be autistic, now what?" it even has a little self test to give you and idea if you might be autistic. It is inexpensive off amazon or thriftbooks...

I have given them to a lot of people now. I have been open about my diagnosis and I think that helps. Not sure they would think it was just being a jerk about some of their troubles without knowing I had that diagnosis . ????

You can plant seeds in people's minds, and let time and circumstances they face help grow those seeds into ideas. She may be doing research already and not saying anything. Just leave books, articles, about ASD around where she can find them (if you visit each other's homes or get together).
You could send her autism "beginner links" if you send emails, text, message etc.

Lots of youtube and other videos out there too.
You can just be around and be ready when she starts paying attention and is ready to ask questions. you're a good brother! :)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

VictorOfAveyron
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Feb 2024, 11:00 am

autisticelders wrote:
You could send her autism "beginner links"

Thank you for your answer. What do you mean by "beginner links"? Content that talks about ASD traits; medical summaries; helpdesks for people with ASD? Do you also have one to share?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 2:00 pm

She sounds young enough that the Autism label might be inconvenient.

Perhaps you could study coping techniques for Autistic traits and then encourage her to use the techniques that apply for her...but not associate them with Autism.

My concerns are that if she is not well-established then she is not as well-positioned to fend off rude and unthinking people. And, are there any ways the Autism label could legally hamper her? (Might not apply to her, but—for instance—the U.S. military reportedly is very averse to accepting Autistics. Other employers and maybe even insurers might use the info against her, too, right?)