Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

CathyKn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Feb 2024, 3:36 am

I've been reading about conferences and a paper by Jim Sinclair from 2005. Autism Network International: The development of a community.
In the paper he mentions people finding it hard to go back to the NT world after conferences where we can be ourselves.

I was wondering what people think are the biggest problems about being in what Jim Sinclair called the NT World.
I'm thinking most problems are about people - the way they think, behave and attitudes. It leads to rules, the way services or the world is organised, and how relationships are expected to be conducted.
There's also things (for me personally) like too much noise, but I'm not sure how that fits with 'people' being the problem.
There are things that are brilliant. I'm dyscalculic but someone great at math has developed apps like fingerprint recognition so I can use my thumb instead of a number code.

How to live in a world organised for a majority, where I have to be in that world but navigate it.
I'm interested in what people think are the biggest problems, and what needs to happen.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 5:19 am

we can't change a thing about the world and the way it works, we can't change how others think, how they act, how they do things.

We can change the ways we interact, react, the things we do or don't do, how we behave, etc
Self accommodations in our every day lives and schedules can be set up for more success and less distress.

WE can change our surroundings, our clothing, our schedules, our activities, sometimes our jobs, to accommodate our struggles.

The thing is that we all have different struggles, so changing things to suit our own way of needing to do things is individual.

I started with the things that caused me the most distress and tried to find ways to "work around" them. Most of my distress besides sensory issues had to do with expectations of others.

It is going on 5 years since my autism diagnosis and everything has got so much better because I made changes for myself in almost everything. knowing I am autistic was the key. I could finally see "what was happening" and figure out what things could be done differently for better outcomes. Don't try to tackle it all at once. Chip away at the issues one at a time until you are satisfied that what you are doing is the best and easiest, least distressing way to handle the things you must face every day, sometimes, once in a while.

Others mostly can not do this for us, it is something we must sort for ourselves. We might get insights from others about what worked for specific struggles. Knowing and understanding your worst weaknesses and best strengths can help a lot.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Iris.Ell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Feb 2024, 8:07 am

For me, the way I see it, the biggest problem is division. Dividing ourselves between two things. NT and NA. Male and female. Human and animals. Rich and poor classes.
Black and white, left against right politics, and so on.
Integration is the answer to everything.. Like Bukowski said, smilarly, it was style (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQZgCX0Ydbo).
Style is the integration of both opposites.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 9:13 pm

My problem is that I'm extremely masculine. I have a warrior gene and I was always getting into fights on the playground as a child. Someone would call me the R-word and I would show them how painful it is to be called that with my fists. That gene is so strong that I love German stuff to do with WWII and I really can't help it. I can change what I have on my head when I walk into a store and put my cloth helmet back on when I walk out of a store.

CathyKn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Feb 2024, 6:46 am

autisticelders wrote:
we can't change a thing about the world and the way it works, we can't change how others think, how they act, how they do things.

We can change the ways we interact, react, the things we do or don't do, how we behave, etc
Self accommodations in our every day lives and schedules can be set up for more success and less distress.

WE can change our surroundings, our clothing, our schedules, our activities, sometimes our jobs, to accommodate our struggles.

The thing is that we all have different struggles, so changing things to suit our own way of needing to do things is individual.

I started with the things that caused me the most distress and tried to find ways to "work around" them. Most of my distress besides sensory issues had to do with expectations of others.

It is going on 5 years since my autism diagnosis and everything has got so much better because I made changes for myself in almost everything. knowing I am autistic was the key. I could finally see "what was happening" and figure out what things could be done differently for better outcomes. Don't try to tackle it all at once. Chip away at the issues one at a time until you are satisfied that what you are doing is the best and easiest, least distressing way to handle the things you must face every day, sometimes, once in a while.

Others mostly can not do this for us, it is something we must sort for ourselves. We might get insights from others about what worked for specific struggles. Knowing and understanding your worst weaknesses and best strengths can help a lot.

I agree, it's hard for anyone else to know what affects us as individuals. I like the idea of knowing the worst weaknesses and best strengths. I think these change over time, too.
I find having a few trusted people around helps. If we have someone who understands and can give and get emotional support, it's a way to build.
My thing is if we want to change things for ourselves, or can support someone else to get to where they want to be, we'll eventually change how things are in the big old world too.

I know there are lots of people who do a lot of work on our behalf, campaigning, speaking up and challenging. They have an amazing part to play in creating spaces where we can be ourselves. I was reading the history of AS and, like many histories of diversity, it isnt pretty. I think it's getting prettier though in some respects.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2024, 9:07 am

It’s hard depending on the person’s functioning level.

Those at the extreme mild end usually find a way of dealing with the world a little bit of help and opportunity and they can break through battered and bruised but still afloat.

Those further down are completely dependent on others for basic survival whether their family or government.

I don’t see a way out for these people until medical research comes up with ways of raising cognitive performance.

I don’t really buy all that accommodations or one whole autism bs promoted by ND I don’t think that’s really relevant for these people.

- George Bernie Shaw