Post Super Bowl victory parade mass shooting

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 5:02 pm

1 dead, at least 10 hurt in shooting after Chiefs Super Bowl parade in Kansas City

Quote:
One person is dead and 10 to 15 people are injured from a shooting in Kansas City, Missouri, following the parade and rally for the Chiefs' Super Bowl win, officials said.

The exact number of gunshot victims was not immediately clear, Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves said, calling the shooting a "tragedy."

Two suspects have been taken into custody, she said.

Three victims are in critical condition and five are in serious condition, according to the Kansas City Fire Department.

The shooting took place west of Union Station, near the garage, as Chiefs fans were leaving, according to Kansas City police.

Paradegoer Arnold Sauther said when the rally ended the Chiefs went into Union Station, and fans followed the players to get autographs.

"Then, all of a sudden they all started running out, and you see all these policemen come running in there -- and you knew something happened in the station," Sauther told Kansas City ABC affiliate KMBC.

"We see people running and we hear gunshots and we take off running. And we look over and there's a guy next to us on the ground," witness Jennifer Wilbers told KMBC.

Chiefs wide receiver Justin Watson told KMBC that the Chiefs players and their families are safe.

"I am angry," Graves said. "The people who came to this celebration should expect a safe environment."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 7:50 pm

22 Shot, 3 detained

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 4:44 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
22 Shot, 3 detained

Have they determined who these suspects are, and what their motivation might have been?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 5:59 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
22 Shot, 3 detained

Have they determined who these suspects are, and what their motivation might have been?

The three detained I assume are suspects. If they have determined a motive they are not releasing it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 12:32 pm

Kansas City shooting may have stemmed from personal dispute, police say; 2 juveniles among 3 detained

Quote:
Two juveniles are among those detained in connection with Wednesday’s shooting following the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl celebration rally, which left one dead and more than 20 wounded, according to Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves.

At least 23 victims have been identified, including a 43-year-old woman who died, Graves said. The other 22 victims range in age from 8 to 47, Graves said, adding half are younger than 16.

The shooting appears to have been a “dispute between several people that ended in gunfire,” Graves said, noting there is no indication of a “nexus to terrorism or homegrown violent extremism.” On Wednesday, Graves said three people had been detained and an unspecified number of guns recovered by law enforcement.

Several law enforcement officials similarly told CNN the shooting was believed to have been the result of a personal dispute in the area, and not an attack on the celebration itself.

One of those officials said the three people in custody are all believed to have been involved in the dispute and that, initially, 10 people were questioned. The status of the other seven who were questioned is unclear.

As of Thursday morning, no charges had been announced and no suspects have been publicly identified.

The shooting was the second in a year at a major US sports title celebration, after two people were wounded in June as Denver fans left a parade for the NBA’s Nuggets. It marked yet another place where a sense of safety was punctured by gun violence, with American churches, schools, grocery stores and outlet malls already marred by shootings.

Parades, rallies, schools, movies. It seems like almost nothing is safe,” said Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas.

Wednesday’s was at least the 48th mass shooting in the United States so far this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, which like CNN counts those in which four or more are shot, not including a perpetrator.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2024, 5:38 pm

2 men charged with murder in Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade shooting

Quote:
Two men have been charged with murder in the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade shooting that killed one woman and injured more than 20 people last week.

The defendants were named by prosecutors as Dominic M. Miller of Kansas City and Lyndell Mays of Raytown. They each face charges of second-degree murder, armed criminal action, and unlawful use of a weapon, according to a statement from the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office.

"The defendants attended a Super Bowl parade and rally on Feb. 14, 2024, and were armed with firearms," the office said. "A verbal altercation occurred and gunfire broke out with no regard for thousands of other individuals in the area."

Previously, two juveniles were charged in the Feb. 14 shooting in downtown Kanas City, Missouri. Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker, at a news conference announcing the charges, would not clarify if those minors had any connection to the adults who have been charged.

The charged adults, who were injured in the shooting and remain hospitalized, are being held on $1 million bond

Baker said preliminary evidence indicates the deadly shooting started after one of them got into a verbal argument with someone he had no prior connection to.

That argument very quickly escalated,” Baker said. “Almost immediately, others pulled their firearms.”

According to court documents in the case, the altercation started with a remark about whether one person was looking at another.

"Four males approached Lyndell Mays and one of the males asked Lyndell Mays what he was looking at, because they didn’t know him," the charging documents allege.

"They began arguing about why they were staring at each other,” Det. Grand Spiking wrote in the documents of Mays and a group of men involved in the confrontation.

Guns were drawn, some from backpacks, on both sides, prosecutors said.

Miller allegedly opened fire, along with at least one other person, and it was his gunfire that struck Lisa Lopez-Galvan, there to celebrate the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl win, prosecutors alleged at the news conference.

Lopez-Galvan, a mother of two and local radio DJ, was killed, and 22 other people, ranging from 8 to 47 years old, were injured.

Spiking said in the documents that Mays admitted he opened fire. “Stupid, man,” he quoted the defendant as saying. “Just pulled a gun out and started shooting. I shouldn’t have done that. Just being stupid.”

A Glock 9mm handgun found near Mays was reported stolen from a location in Kansas City, Spiking said.

The shooting is under investigation, and more charges may be filed against others, Baker said at the news conference.