Incels 30 times more likely to be autistic, study finds

Page 5 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 5:36 am

Editor's Note :
I started this thread out of concern that publicity around the study will further stigmatize Autistics, especially single ones. When replying to a post it occurred to me that even though the thread is in the Autism Politics section, I was really replying to a Love and Dating topic, that this is now a Love and Dating thread something I have intentionally avoided until now. I considered asking the mods to move it, but the high response to it is suggestive it is not in the wrong section, so I will leave it be.
End Note:

Maybe it is me but compared to a few years ago when there were a few well-publicized terror attacks by Autistic incels there seems to be a lot less publicity around the incel phenomenon. Is it because the phenomenon has peaked and is waning, or the media (and yours truly) have moved on to other topics?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 7:47 am

ChiefEspatier wrote:
You're overrating the distinction between someone that is bitter they are getting rejected and someone who gets rejected.

Kudos to ChiefEspatier for your honestly, intellectualism, frankness, and (most importantly) your objectivity.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 9:38 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Maybe it is me but compared to a few years ago when there were a few well-publicized terror attacks by Autistic incels there seems to be a lot less publicity around the incel phenomenon. Is it because the phenomenon has peaked and is waning, or the media (and yours truly) have moved on to other topics?

I think the phenomenon in general is becoming more mainstream, so maybe there’s less of a focus on autistic incels.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/masculinity- ... -attitudes
Quote:
Only a small proportion of those who have heard of Andrew Tate say they have a favourable opinion of him – though one in five young men have a positive view

6% of people who have heard of Andrew Tate say they have a favourable view of him, while 76% have an unfavourable view and 15% say their view is neither favourable nor unfavourable.

And while all age groups are more negative than positive about Tate, young men stand out as being the most likely to approve of him and statements he has made:

- One in five (21%) men aged 16 to 29 who have heard of Andrew Tate say they have a favourable view of him – three times the share of women in this age group (7%) and men aged 30 to 59 (7%) who say the same, and far greater than the proportion of men aged 60+ (2%). Yet most (61%) young men still feel unfavourable towards Tate.

- Among those who say they have heard about Tate’s statements on men and women, one in seven (14%) agree he raises important points about real threats to male identity and gender roles (61% disagree), increasing to three in 10 (30%) young men aged 16 to 29 – far higher than any other age/gender group. People from ethnic minority backgrounds (35%) are also more likely to agree with this view, reflecting a broader pattern of approval of Tate among this group compared to those from a white ethnic background (though it remains the case that more people from ethnic minority backgrounds are more critical of his views than supportive).

- Majorities of those who say they’ve heard of Tate’s statements find his views on men and women offensive (73%), but one in five (20%) men aged 16 to 29 who are aware of them do not – double the proportion of men aged 30 to 59 (9%) who say the same.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 9:58 am

My brain hurts after reading this thread.

What a waste of my time.

The only saving grace was FXE's hilarious mention of the term "Chad thundercock". :lol:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 10:09 am

The OP seems to be so defensive of incels and yet claims to have a wife, claims to not be an incel and claims to have incel friends.

I struggle to believe anyone has such enthusiasm for incels unless they were an incel themselves.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2024, 4:54 pm

If people find you attractive and want to have sex with you - then you can have sex if you want.
If people don't find you attractive and don't want to have sex with you - then there will be no sex for you whether you want it or not. That's as simple as that. People like what they like. And you can't change their preferences. No need to overcomplicate it or complain about people being picky.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 6:53 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
However, if this thread still exists later then I shall check on it.

Please do, you've always got interesting insights to bring to these discussions. :nerdy:

Well I don't know about that but the thread is still here so I have returned.

I find it interesting to think about the terminology that incel spaces use and the overlap between dating coaches and influencers.

I have to wonder how many of these influencial figures actually believe in their words. Especially with how popular algorithm-based social media is in the world. Unfortunately I suspect that many simply know how to game the system and make quick money out of lonely vulnerable people. They know how to appeal to their audience and gain a following.

A lot of engagement in algorithm heavy platforms is passive. Even when people don't actively seek it out, if it's popular in their demographic then they'll see it and the more someone engages in that content, the more slop will be delivered in return.

Yet if you try to remove such content, then that'll only feed into the worldview that the truth is being silenced. So it's tricky.

There's a lot of pseudoscientific nonsense out there. For instance, in the true crime community there's a fair amount of YouTube channels out there that read into body language to a ridiculous degree. This hand movement clearly shows that this person is the murderer! My sources? Yes. :lol:

Unfortunately, some people are quite good at putting on fake confidence and convincing others that they know the secrets of human nature that others don't want you to know. Something which people who struggle socially are going to be vulnerable to in general. I highly suspect that's a big reason why autistic men are significantly likely to end up in such groups.

I mean, I can see why it would be tempting. Something you've always struggled to understand, when suddenly someone (who you think is well intentioned) offers you an explanation that seems to make sense.

It's worrying how radicalising online spaces have the power to be. Influencers scare me quite frankly.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 9:48 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
The OP seems to be so defensive of incels and yet claims to have a wife, claims to not be an incel and claims to have incel friends.

I struggle to believe anyone has such enthusiasm for incels unless they were an incel themselves.

The OP didn't say any of that. In fact, I think the OP only posted twice in this thread. It think you're confusing posters.

What the OP did share in his second post was a concern that this incel-autism connection may lead to more stigmatism towards Apies in general. And, if you're correct about why should anyone in the majority care about any minority group, then I guess: why should anyone give a damn about Autistics?; the only people who care that much about Autism are either on the spectrum themselves or they have an immediate loved-one who is.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2024, 8:19 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
I find it interesting to think about the terminology that incel spaces use and the overlap between dating coaches and influencers.

I think a lot of incel jargon overlaps pretty heavily with the so-called manosphere.

Lost_dragon wrote:
I have to wonder how many of these influencial figures actually believe in their words. Especially with how popular algorithm-based social media is in the world. Unfortunately I suspect that many simply know how to game the system and make quick money out of lonely vulnerable people. They know how to appeal to their audience and gain a following.

A lot of engagement in algorithm heavy platforms is passive. Even when people don't actively seek it out, if it's popular in their demographic then they'll see it and the more someone engages in that content, the more slop will be delivered in return.

Yet if you try to remove such content, then that'll only feed into the worldview that the truth is being silenced. So it's tricky.

I've noticed YouTube is pretty aggressive about trying to make whatever I just searched for my new special interest, as well as occasionally randomly shoving literal Nazi s**t in my face (Arghoslent, Zoomer Historian, etc). I'm not sure how other platforms are, but I can imagine they're probably not that different.

All and all though I do think you're on to something with how some people learn how to engage well with the algorithm and how that helps certain creators, and then things that parts of that audience like get recommended to more of the viewers. If a creator attracts an echo chamber, the algorithm helps reinforce it.

Lost_dragon wrote:
There's a lot of pseudoscientific nonsense out there. For instance, in the true crime community there's a fair amount of YouTube channels out there that read into body language to a ridiculous degree. This hand movement clearly shows that this person is the murderer! My sources? Yes. :lol:

I feel like pop-psi encourages that. People fixate on a few elements and offer really reductive takes with far more confidence than they deserve.

Lost_dragon wrote:
Unfortunately, some people are quite good at putting on fake confidence and convincing others that they know the secrets of human nature that others don't want you to know. Something which people who struggle socially are going to be vulnerable to in general. I highly suspect that's a big reason why autistic men are significantly likely to end up in such groups.

I mean, I can see why it would be tempting. Something you've always struggled to understand, when suddenly someone (who you think is well intentioned) offers you an explanation that seems to make sense.

It's worrying how radicalising online spaces have the power to be. Influencers scare me quite frankly.

I think a lot of it has to do with the ego too. Everyone wants to be part of an inner circle with knowledge others don't have, they want to feel special. People who appear confident and who offer them the chance to be special and improve their weaknesses can be very appealing, especially when you feel like they're your friend.

Influences are scary because of the parasocial aspect. I don't think demagogues of old connected in such an intimate way as online influences do.

Whether they offer hope, or just get you to join in wallowing in misery, I think they trigger the friend neurons pretty heavily.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last bumped by ASPartOfMe on 28 Feb 2024, 8:19 am.