Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 9:33 am

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2024, 10:22 am

For anyone else who doesn't want to just click a link, it's about how people got setup, put together, found love/a partner, etc. in the past. What worked then versus nowadays. I did not come close to watching the whole thing.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 1:05 pm

There’s some gross victim-blamey stuff starting at around 11-12 minutes in. If it mattered what women (young or otherwise) wear, then sexual abuse wouldn’t be pervasive in cultures where women dress modestly. It’s an argument that’s been thoroughly debunked time and time again, and it’s harmful for victims to hear. I wasn’t dressing provocatively when I experienced sexual violence. Elizabeth Smart wasn’t dressing provocatively when her kidnapper saw her and decided that she would be his target.

Apart from that side issue as well as others I don’t feel like getting into, we tend to look back on the past with nostalgia. It’s not usually an accurate reflection of how things truly were, especially considering that victims of abuse were so often silenced. There usually weren’t even adequate laws to protect them against spousal abuse. I’d much rather date now than in the past. I have no intention of remarrying. Living in sin sounds nice though.

Maybe a more accurate title would be: “Traditions That Worked for Some.”