Autistic Girls Face Three Times the Risk of Sexual Assault

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 9:37 pm

It’s hard dealing with experiences like that. The creepy stuff I experienced when I was a teenager made me really uncomfortable and even more timid which was probably bad overall. When I told my friend that her boyfriend did something inappropriate but fully-clothed when I was 14, she said that that was “just how he is.” 8O Then I thought that’s how normal boys behaved. Weird, I know.

I think that schools need to spend more time covering sex education and talking about consent. Discussions about healthy relationships and what to look out for would help too. I’m not sure what all is currently covered, but from what I’ve heard others say, it doesn’t seem to be enough. I homeschooled and only was given a very basic birds and the bees talk when I was in elementary school. Relationship advice consisted of being told to marry someone in the church. That’s it. Apparently, if I married a fellow believer, everything would be great. I experienced a lot of weird behavior from fellow believers. Telling people that masturbation is a sin, that you can only have sex once you’re married, and that women are subordinate to men tends to lead to WEIRD behavior in my experience. It makes sense.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 16 Feb 2024, 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 9:42 pm

It all starts during ABA therapy when the child is very young. They are taught at a tender age that their bodies are not their own. They are also taught that it's bad to say no.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 9:46 pm

It’s hard to say how many women in the studies received ABA though. It seems like few people on WP who experienced this sort of stuff did it.