When autism is more obvious in some than others!

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 4:10 pm

I'm sure it has as knowledge has increased in all areas.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 4:47 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I have "Autism Lite" and I'm female, and one of the hardest things about it is that I worry people won't believe me if I tell them I'm autistic, because I don't do a lot of stereotypical things like rocking, stimming, chewing on objects, or eating chicken nuggets at every meal. I speak in complete sentences and show expressions and emotions. Seems those last three things are REALLY non-autistic. Never mind that I prefer being alone or with animals instead of humans, or wear practical clothing, or don't fit into most stereotypical female gender norms.

I worry that even worse, people will think I'm one of those many individuals on TikSchlock who are self-diagnosed and "think" they're autistic when they're really just being stupid and cringy. I worry they won't understand that I still have challenges even if I am (ugh) high functioning. And I HATE being misunderstood.

Enough autism to be considered weird, Not enough autism so you are still expected to suck it up and deal with it. The bane of a lot of members' existence.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2024, 4:53 pm

honeytoast wrote:
Thus, due to masking, you have women like me who go undiagnosed until they are adults.

I got diagnosed at 56 on my own initiative after working for 20 years alongside psychologists and doctors. And I am a man. During that time I have listened to female coworkers mainsplaining me on "how autistic people think and function" and "women's ability to mask". Some people like me have what it takes to mask to a high level, maybe statistically the number of women is higher in this group but on the other hand some women mask to a really low degree. I'd say forget about women versus men and think of people as high- versus low-maskers instead. My personal theory is that people with a high social intelligence are able, and feel motivated, to mask to a high degree.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 10:16 pm

I'm male and I've been told that I hide my autism quite well, though it's hard for me to know how I do it, because I think I was "hiding" it long before I was diagnosed.

I suppose part of the reason is that I probably don't have very strong ASD. And I noticed things about my social behaviour that I could see weren't likely to make me popular, e.g. a rather monotonous and mumbly voice which I heard on tape recordings and disliked, and therefore worked on giving it a more attractive and easy-to-follow intonation. Also I noticed I had a bad habit of data-dumping, so I worked on tempering that, as it seemed obvious that it would bore people just like it bored me when anybody banged on about some topic I had no particular interest in. I never saw any of this as hiding anything, just the natural result of wanting to become a more acceptable person, of wanting to learn and grow.

But I don't know how those examples would lead to any particular theory. I guess I just happen to have enough neurotypicality to be able to get the occasional glimpse of what I'm doing wrong.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 10:46 pm

I've been told by some that they already clocked me as autistic. Mostly when I was younger, before I learned the social skills I have now, I think.
These days? Well, one of my coworkers said she can hardly tell I'm autistic and can autism really be that mild, etc. I said yes, it can, especially when we get older and learn how to hide things better.

Autism isn't obvious in some people simply because the traits are broad and varied and range from mild to severe. For me, I've learned a lot of social skills to compensate for my shortcomings. I'm still a bit socially odd and I've been told I'm quirky. But I "pass" as neurotypical fairly easily at this point in my life.

My other traits have become more mild with age as well. I used to have extreme hyperfixations.... these days I'm just a bit more obsessive than most people. It's to a lesser degree.

My stimming may look odd, but most people aren't going to clock you as autistic just based on that.

And people tend to not believe me when I say I have sensory issues and meltdowns. :x

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 11:27 pm

Jamesy wrote:
What is your theory as to why in some individuals (such as myself) there autism presents itself in such an obvious way vs those who go undiagnosed for most of there lives?
Jamesy wrote:
Is it because some of us have lower IQs or learning difficulties?
That seems reasonable.  ADD/ADHD or an OCD might also inhibit one's ability to mask.  Alcohol may also be a factor.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 12:42 am

It's because autism is a spectrum. We're all different.

Iris.Ell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2024, 5:31 am

This is a very good question. Would make a god research topic :)

In my experience I can say it is how strong is your need to fit in and how much you care about how others see you and the desire to fill in the gaps.