Beyonce country music banned from country radio

Page 1 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 7:03 pm

How dumb is this

After hundreds of emails and phone calls from irate Beyonce fans, country music station KYKC eventually added Beyoncé's "Texas Hold' Em" to the rotation. Considering the historical origins of country music, this act of gatekeeping is not merely exclusionary; it is a classic case of cultural appropriation.

Country music has long been considered a genre made by and for white people. However, this conception is empirically false; its roots were heavily influenced by Black music and shaped by Black traditions. The cultural historian and associate professor of critical and comparative studies at the University of Virginia, Karl Hagstrom Miller, puts forth in his work that country music was born from popular music of the South. The genre was a reflection of racially integrated expressions of the time, like jazz and blues, as well as hillbilly and folk practices.

Suffice it to say that country music is Black music because its creation was extracted from Black creators. Its melodies were lifted from hymnals performed in the Black church. Its stylings were borrowed from Black musicians. The banjo, a country music staple, was created by enslaved Africans. The notion of excluding Black people from the genre is not merely preposterous; it's an act of cultural appropriation.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcuscoll ... opriation/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 8:18 pm

Goes to show you, certain people are willing to say goodbye to the money Beyonce could bring into their stations just so they can hold onto their cherished bigotry.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 8:59 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Goes to show you, certain people are willing to say goodbye to the money Beyonce could bring into their stations just so they can hold onto their cherished bigotry.

Could it be they are worried their listeners would turn on the station for daring to play Beyonce?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 3:39 am

Listeners wanted her songs played.

That radio station seems to be living in the past when fans were very protective of “their” genres.

When rock groups such as the Rolling Stones, and Rod Stewart wrote disco or disco influenced songs they were flooded with hate mail. Undeniably that disco was created by blacks and gays was a big factor. Racial purity was not the only purity that was a factor. When Bob Dylan “went electric” folk music fans were irate that Dylan “sold out”. When Linda Ronstadt put out a New Wave influenced album New wavers were upset that a mainstream rock artist intruded.

Sometimes the criticism is warranted. Far too often when a genre gets popular artists from other genres quickly throw together a pale imitation. But often these backlashes come from a sense of entitlement.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 3:59 am

In the past, there were country artists that had cross-over hits. A predominantly country act having a song that could pass on pop radio. Like, "Jolene" by Dolly Parton or "Counting Flowers on the Wall," by the Statler Brothers.

This is sort of the opposite. Not sure how common it's been in the past. A pop artist crossing 'the other way' onto country radio. Since Beyonce is not known as a country act, I can see why some country stations would reject anything by her outright. (I'm not a country fan, just noticing the cross-over reversal, and I understand it).

Reminds me of the episode of Martin where the radio station he works at is turned into a country station. He comes home and cries to his girlfriend, "There's only ONE BROTHER in country, Charlie Pride, and if you play his records backwards, he says: GET ME THE HELL OUT OF COUNTRY!" Funny show.

Armchair warriors. Culturally clueless. Completely different hemisphere. "A world away." But we know best, don't we?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 4:17 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Listeners wanted her songs played.

That radio station seems to be living in the past when fans were very protective of “their” genres.

When rock groups such as the Rolling Stones, and Rod Stewart wrote disco or disco influenced songs they were flooded with hate mail. Undeniably that disco was created by blacks and gays was a big factor. Racial purity was not the only purity that was a factor. When Bob Dylan “went electric” folk music fans were irate that Dylan “sold out”. When Linda Ronstadt put out a New Wave influenced album New wavers were upset that a mainstream rock artist intruded.

Sometimes the criticism is warranted. Far too often when a genre gets popular artists from other genres quickly throw together a pale imitation. But often these backlashes come from a sense of entitlement.

That seems a fair assessment, the radio stations didn't ask their listeners.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 4:22 am

Cynically, I'm gonna say this is a good start. Now we just need them to ban the rest of the genre from radio stations. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 4:29 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Cynically, I'm gonna say this is a good start. Now we just need them to ban the rest of the genre from radio stations. :lol:

Some of my female work colleagues are swifties. Based on that I'm on team Beyonce.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 4:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Some of my female work colleagues are swifties. Based on that I'm on team Beyonce.

If drafted by either team I'd refuse to wear the jersey like my name was Eric Lindros.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 4:49 am

cyberdad wrote:

It's basically the KISS army but for women two generations younger. Although, to her credit Taylor Swift isn't nearly as much of an as*hole as Gene Simmons.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 4:54 am

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

It's basically the KISS army but for women two generations younger. Although, to her credit Taylor Swift isn't nearly as much of an as*hole as Gene Simmons.

Gene simmons slept with 14,000 undeaged girls, I supposed Taylor's multiple boyfriends were old enough to consent

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 5:42 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I could not have said it better myself.

Thank you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 5:47 am

Fnord wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I could not have said it better myself.

Thank you.

8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 1:12 am

Extremely interesting news - Beyonce releasing country album. The album comes from a specific experience that has to do with country music but is also a particularly Beyoncé moment. “This album has been over five years in the making. It was born out of an experience that I had years ago where I did not feel welcomed…and it was very clear that I wasn’t. But, because of that experience, I did a deeper dive into the history of country music and studied our rich musical archive,” she wrote in the statement. Consensus is that she is referring to the mixed reception she received after performing “Daddy Lessons” alongside controversial band The Chicks at the Country Music Awards in 2016. The country committee at the Grammys also rejected the song from consideration that year, so she may be referring to the experience of being rejected by the country community at large.
https://www.glamour.com/story/cowboy-ca ... next-album

rumoured collaborations include Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus and Dolly Parton.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 1:38 am

Was it banned because she's black(ish) or because she's a pop singer?

When I read the headline of the thread I assumed it was because they didn't want pop stars on their station with country singles vs. a racism thing.