Is it weird for guys with long hair to wear earrings?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Feb 2024, 5:06 pm

Do you think it's weird for guys with long hair to wear earrings?

I remember when I was in school, plenty of boys had long hair and plenty of boys wore earrings (usually one, occasionally two), but hardly any of them had both earrings and long hair. The majority of the boys I knew with earrings had very short hair (quite often buzz cuts). In fact, even after school I rarely saw long-haired guys with earrings. I always used to wonder why long-haired guys didn't wear earrings but short-haired guys did. Maybe people thought long hair and earrings together was "gay" (considering even in liberal New York, homophobia was pretty widespread in schools).

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 5:16 pm

Not wearing earrings alongside long hair is probably a choice for some people not to give an impression of, like you say, being gay or being trans.

Some people don't want to appear that way (because it doesn't correlate with their projected self image) and not because they are necessarily transphobic or homophobic.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 5:19 pm

Maybe the long hair covered the ears so you didn't notice the earrings.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 6:23 pm

I don't think so. Anything goes these days and I'm thankful for that.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 6:38 pm

no - plenty of people wear earrings...Where have you been? Gender and/or sexuality don't even enter in the the equation at all these days.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 6:46 pm

DanielW wrote:
no - plenty of people wear earrings...Where have you been? Gender and/or sexuality don't even enter in the the equation at all these days.

It depends on where you live - some places are more conservative than others and on who you ask, some people, especially older people, can have different expectations and standards and ideas when it comes to such things.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 12:18 am

Maybe because long hair tends to conceal earrings so why wear them if they're not going to be seen for the jewellery they are? Maybe that's why short haired guys would wear them vs. long haired. OR, maybe just as many long haired guys wore them and their hair concealed them so you never noticed them.

My ~9yo nephew has long hair (never had a haircut! maybe never will) & earrings. He decided a couple years ago when his parents went for piercings (I think his dad has one ear pierced, mom has a handful of piercings) that he wanted both his ears pierced.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2024, 5:09 am

Guys that are in heavy metal bands usually have long hair and quit often also wear earrings. There are probably people that thinks this looks weird. On the other hand for every "outlook" or "style" there are some people that thinks it looks weird.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 6:56 am

depends on who is looking. It is probably easier to be decoratively different in areas with larger populations than in smaller more socially rigid areas of society. Today most folks (in the USA at least) decorate themselves however they choose with only obscenity/nakedness laws to confine their choices. Even those laws vary wildly from location to location. Do what is right for you.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson