Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2024, 5:27 pm

"Scientists fear 100% fatal ‘zombie deer disease’ will mutate to infect humans: ‘There are no contingency plans’"

Quote:
Oh, deer.

Scientists are sounding the alarm over the spread of “zombie deer disease” amid fears it may evolve to infect humans.

Late last year, experts confirmed Yellowstone National Park’s first case of the infection — officially known as chronic wasting disease — after a deer carcass found in the Wyoming area of the park tested positive for the highly contagious disease.

Now, cases have been reported in deer, elk and moose in 33 states across the US, as well as in Canada, Norway and South Korea.

The disease “damages portions of the brain and typically causes progressive loss of body condition, behavioral changes, excessive salivation and death,” according to the New York State Department of Health.

It is 100% fatal, and there are no treatments or vaccines.

“The bottom-line message is we are quite unprepared,” Michael Osterholm, an expert in infectious disease at the University of Minnesota, told KFF Health News earlier this month.

“If we saw a spillover right now, we would be in free fall. There are no contingency plans for what to do or how to follow up.”

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 11:08 pm

Scientists have been warning people about so many horrors that will doom us lately, all I wonder why they don't just throw their hands up in utter frustration because of all the many people shoving their heads into the proverbial sand in denial.

I don't get why they don't just give up entirely on life itself and just quietly jump out the window since we're all so doomed.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 11:17 pm

We have it here.No one eats them anymore.Its a prion disease like mad cow.
I’ve had to put down several that staggered into my yard.Saw an elk with it on the side of the highway then Park Service came and dispatched it.My dogs are always dragging dead deer parts into the yard.I have a collection of antlers from it.
We used to fill the freezer with venison but no more.
You can have the deer tested for it before butchering at game check points but I’ll pass.
We don’t have enough large predators anymore to thin out the sick animals so any disease spreads without check.They told people to stop putting out salt blocks and feed for the deer since it spreads by contact with sick animals.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 10:14 am

Misslizard wrote:
We don’t have enough large predators anymore to thin out the sick animals so any disease spreads without check.They told people to stop putting out salt blocks and feed for the deer since it spreads by contact with sick animals.

I can't believe people are feeding deer anything except lead. We know this one crazy woman who feeds foxes ffs. Must be big city retired people who moved up there. One more reason I can't seem to retire.

BTW Canadian cattle are protected from BSE. Are Canadian deer, moose, and elk protected from this?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 2:38 pm

They put out the salt blocks and feed to get them in an area for hunting from a deer stand.Some will even plant food plots with winter rye and clover to keep them in an area.They got so over populated here there were giant herds of them, all feeding together and wiping out native plants like ginseng.Then they got sick and now I hardly see a live one.
We suspect the disease came to this state when they introduced elk from Colorado to replace the extinct Eastern Elk.The disease was first discovered in Colorado.They shouldn’t have done that.We are ground zero here in Arkansas.
Poor people here lost a valuable food source, many won’t eat venison anymore.I won’t.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 3:27 pm

I saw this in an email, didn’t read it. Why call it zombie deer disease?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 4:21 pm

They stagger around and look like they are dying( which they are) and are usually drooling.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 10:33 am

Misslizard wrote:
They stagger around and look like they are dying( which they are) and are usually drooling.

This has been known to exist in Kansas for around a decade or so. The locals there are split between being concerned and indifferent about it. That still does not stop them from eating deer though.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 10:37 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

This has been known to exist in Kansas for around a decade or so. The locals there are split between being concerned and indifferent about it. That still does not stop them from eating deer though.

Hillbillies think the government planted it to try and starve us out or kill us. :lol: We tend to be a suspicious bunch.Been cases around here since 2016.