Page 2 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 1:34 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Makes sense - no standard size or population.

Nope. But when has America ever made sense?

When they told the British royal family to pound sand. 8)

Not much since then, though..

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 2:09 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Makes sense - no standard size or population.

Nope. But when has America ever made sense?

When they told the British royal family to pound sand. 8)

Not much since then, though..

:lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 12:09 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
What is the size of a county? (We don’t have counties here.)

I always assumed they were large and had multiple cities and towns in them as afaik they’re the largest geographical region that’s smaller than a state.

But if they only have a population of thousands of people, or only one grocery store, then maybe counties aren’t all that big and there are lots of them in each state ?

Depends on the state.They can be larger out west.
Ours is 824 square miles and around 7,200 people.Largest town has a pop of 547 people.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 12:21 pm

Misslizard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

I always assumed they were large and had multiple cities and towns in them as afaik they’re the largest geographical region that’s smaller than a state.

But if they only have a population of thousands of people, or only one grocery store, then maybe counties aren’t all that big and there are lots of them in each state ?

Ours is 824 square miles and around 7,200 people.Largest town has a pop of 547 people.

Ya I mean I comprehend that most of the continent is sparsely populated and I've been to some areas like that several times, but it's just so far from my normal that it almost doesn't compute. There were over 700 graduates in my grade 12 high school class.. at the time it was a 2 year high school, grades 11/12 only (now all the ones in that district have changed to 4 year 8-12 schools) and had nearly 1600 students between the two grades.

The population of the University campus where the beach is that I go to all the time is over 60k students, with 35,700 residents + staff and worker bees on a 400 hectare campus surrounded by forests and oceanfront.

It's just so.. foreign to imagine living in an area where the largest town has 547 people.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 1:30 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Ya I mean I comprehend that most of the continent is sparsely populated and I've been to some areas like that several times, but it's just so far from my normal that it almost doesn't compute. There were over 700 graduates in my grade 12 high school class.. at the time it was a 2 year high school, grades 11/12 only (now all the ones in that district have changed to 4 year 8-12 schools) and had nearly 1600 students between the two grades.

The population of the University campus where the beach is that I go to all the time is over 60k students, with 35,700 residents + staff and worker bees on a 400 hectare campus surrounded by forests and oceanfront.

It's just so.. foreign to imagine living in an area where the largest town has 547 people.

We don’t have a red light in the whole county.Everything is closed by ten and Walmart is an hour away.We do have two Dollar stores and a Subway sandwich shop.The only fast food franchise in town.
No hospital either and I remember when there was no ambulance and none of the county roads had signs telling you what road you were on.We knew, strangers got hopelessly lost.Some never seen again.
Ok, kidding about that last part.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2024, 11:15 am

goldfish21 wrote:

Greene County in Indiana has 542.5 square miles of land area and is the 4th largest county in Indiana by total area.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2024, 11:53 am

More on the upcoming event, a solar eclipse.

A very rare path of totality will arc across the southern half of Indiana, from southwest to northeast, on April 8, the Hoosier State’s first total solar eclipse since August 7, 1869. It’s also a true once-in-a-lifetime experience for most of the population, with the next one coming on September 14, 2099.

Indiana will be busy on April 8. Hundreds of thousands of visitors are expected, according to the Indiana State Government, while drive-shed data from GreatAmericanEclipse.com suggests that between 131,000 to 522,000 could drive into the path through Indiana on April 8. That would make it the second busiest U.S. state on eclipse day, after Texas.

(Like I said earlier: We are about to be invaded.)

“Indiana is we call it flyover country—people go from New York to Los Angeles and they fly over Indiana, Ohio and Kansas and Missouri,” said Indiana-based Dan McGlaun, an eclipse expert at Eclipse 2024, which has an interactive map and eclipse simulator that simulates precisely what will be seen from thousands of communities in North America. “There are so many great small towns and rural communities in Indiana to visit for this eclipse—find a place with small-town charm will be easy.”

Source: Your Complete Guide To Seeing April’s Total Solar Eclipse In Indiana

As far as the map is concerned. I live in a path of TOTALITY.
The path of totality will be between 115 and 113 miles wide as it surges across Indiana.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2024, 3:17 pm

2/3 of Arkansas will be in the path of totality.
https://www.arkansas.com/industry-insid ... ns/eclipse

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 12:48 pm

It is coming.

Officials in Greene County meet up to discuss concerns about eclipse weekend

We have small back roads. People parking on both sides of the road, make it impossible for our ambulances to get through if we have any incidences.

If we have all the people coming into the county that they are predicted, WE DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH CELL PHONE CAPACITY. By using amateur radio and going in on landline, we can keep some communications up.

They recommend residents buy food, medicine and fuel in advance of the weekend.

This definitely sounds like DANGER AHEAD.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 3:59 pm

That’s exactly what they have been telling us.With one grocery store in the county it’s going to be interesting.
I got my eclipse glasses today before the big rush.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2024, 12:58 pm

We went into town today and my wife said "We need to stop and pick up the glasses." I said, "What glasses?"
She said "The Solar Eclipse Glasses. We need them for the kids and our bank has them on sale."
So we stopped and picked up almost a dozen.

They were on sale and cost us only $1 apiece. We are now prepared.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 9:52 am

People are getting organized for the event.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 11:14 am

We must be way far out of the path of being able to see this sucker. Haven’t heard one word about it besides this thread - and there are some local stargazers on my Facebook that post about stuff like this & meteor showers etc.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 1:55 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
We must be way far out of the path of being able to see this sucker. Haven’t heard one word about it besides this thread - and there are some local stargazers on my Facebook that post about stuff like this & meteor showers etc.

Vancouver will only have 28 percent of the sun covered by the moon so you may barely notice it or not notice anything at all.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 11:08 am

One article provides some detailed information about the event in the USA.

A very rare path of totality will arc across the southern half of Indiana, from southwest to northeast, on April 8, the Hoosier State’s first total solar eclipse since August 7, 1869. It’s also a true once-in-a-lifetime experience for most of the population, with the next one coming on September 14, 2099.

Indiana will be busy on April 8. Hundreds of thousands of visitors are expected, according to the Indiana State Government, while drive-shed data from GreatAmericanEclipse.com suggests that between 131,000 to 522,000 could drive into the path through Indiana on April 8. That would make it the second busiest U.S. state on eclipse day, after Texas.

“Indiana is we call it flyover country—people go from New York to Los Angeles and they fly over Indiana, Ohio and Kansas and Missouri,” said Indiana-based Dan McGlaun, an eclipse expert at Eclipse 2024, which has an interactive map and eclipse simulator that simulates precisely what will be seen from thousands of communities in North America. “There are so many great small towns and rural communities in Indiana to visit for this eclipse—find a place with small-town charm will be easy.”

Source: Your Complete Guide To Seeing April’s Total Solar Eclipse In Indiana

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 11:08 am

Its coming.