Page 1 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 5:03 pm

Our county is about to be invaded. Thousands of people are coming and will almost double the size of our county. They want to see a Solar Eclipse and it will pass right over us.

All the Porta Potties have been taken. My wife is trying to buy some solar eclipse safety glasses.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 5:13 pm

That would be a very strange sight.Have you ever seen a solar eclipse?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 7:51 pm

Happening here also. Our emergency services has told us to gas up and get groceries before they arrive.There is only one grocery store in the county.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 9:14 pm

I tried to see one before but the moon got in the way and things got dull so I didn't see it. Not sure when the next one will be.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 9:17 pm

The most I have seen is 96 percent totality back in 1970 and that was special to see. The one 7 years ago was 70 percent totality here. The little sun areas in between the leaf shadows were crescent shaped, weird but awesome to see. This one is going to be 90 percent totality here. I am really looking forward to it. For you members that are going to be under full totality it will be one of the most memorable days of your life. I am crossing my fingers it is not overcast that day.

2024 Total Eclipse: Where and When

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 11:52 pm

Arkansas weather can be weird at that time of year.Probably be a tornado outbreak at the same time.
I hope it’s all clear.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2024, 8:44 am

belijojo wrote:
That would be a very strange sight.Have you ever seen a solar eclipse?

I don't remember. I think I did once but the weather was bad and the sky was overcast. But I am not really sure.

One very smart person used his knowledge of solar eclipses to predict one would occur of 1 March 1504. I think I even remember that he used this knowledge to save his life. Here is a link:

March 1504 lunar eclipse

On 30 June 1503, Christopher Columbus beached his two last caravels and was stranded in Jamaica. The indigenous people of the island welcomed Columbus and his crew and fed them, but after six months, they halted the food supply, dissatisfied with what the Spaniards could provide in trade. Columbus had on board an almanac authored by Abraham Zacuto of astronomical tables covering the years 1475–1506. Upon consulting the book, he noticed the date and the time of an upcoming lunar eclipse. He was able to use this information to his advantage. He requested a meeting for that day with the Cacique, the leader, and told him that God was angry with the local people's treatment of Columbus and his men. Columbus said God would provide a clear sign of displeasure by making the rising full Moon appear "inflamed with wrath".

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2024, 11:05 pm

Meh, I've lived through so many eclipses (solar and lunar) that I've practically lost interest in them.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 12:05 pm

The eclipse in my city will occur on 8 April 2024.

My city will be centered on the path of the 2024 Total Solar Eclipse. It will have a duration of 4 minutes and 4 seconds.

Our city is already marketing the event. They said the city "is a small town in southern Indiana. We don't have big-city light pollution or towering buildings. We offer uninterrupted views of the skys (weather permitting) day and night. The best options for lodging in our city start with our welcoming community. We will have abundant camping options, as well as glamping, RV options, and home-shares."

What is glamping? I never heard that word before, so I looked up the meaning.
Glamping is a relatively new term that combines the words "glamorous" and "camping." It refers to a type of luxury camping where people can enjoy the outdoors in comfort and style.
Glamping accommodations can include anything from beautiful canvas tents to giant treehouses and more, and there are glamping destinations all over the world! Here's everything you need to know about this stylish camping trend, its origins, and how you can start planning your next glamping getaway.
So I guess it means expensive camping.

I guess I will stick with my interpretation. "We are about to be invaded". Some articles seem to suggest our population will double in size. We are a little over a month away. I think things will get interesting.

Last edited by jimmy m on 25 Feb 2024, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 12:18 pm

Maybe I should invite the grandkids. They will probably even be given the day off from school. Make this experience into an enjoyable event. After all this was an event that saved the life of Christopher Columbus on 30 March 1504. And the United States might not have even existed except Christopher Columbus discovered the Americas.

I just checked April 8 is a Monday, A SCHOOL DAY.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 12:33 pm

Wow. This website even includes an image of what the event will look like from my city.

The 2024 eclipse in Bloomfield, Indiana, USA

We are located at 39.02699N, 86.93751W

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 3:03 pm

People are renting out their yards for the event.
I’m sure air evac will be busy.You can forget about ambulance service reaching you if needed.
Worst case scenario.This happens at the same time, it’s tornado season in April.
https://abc7chicago.com/amp/little-rock ... /13063816/

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 11:17 pm

What is the size of a county? (We don’t have counties here.)

I always assumed they were large and had multiple cities and towns in them as afaik they’re the largest geographical region that’s smaller than a state.

But if they only have a population of thousands of people, or only one grocery store, then maybe counties aren’t all that big and there are lots of them in each state ?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 11:26 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
What is the size of a county? (We don’t have counties here.)

I always assumed they were large and had multiple cities and towns in them as afaik they’re the largest geographical region that’s smaller than a state.

But if they only have a population of thousands of people, or only one grocery store, then maybe counties aren’t all that big and there are lots of them in each state ?

Plenty of counties (that tend to be conservative) tend to consist of vast miles of empty space. Other counties are densely populated (tending to be liberal).

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 11:32 pm

Makes sense - no standard size or population.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 1:30 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Makes sense - no standard size or population.

Nope. But when has America ever made sense?