NHS begins treating sleep apnoea w/ pioneering chest implant

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2024, 10:56 am

Potentially a solution for sleep apnoea sufferers who don't get on well with CPAP therapy.

"NHS doctors have begun treating people with one of Britain’s most common sleeping disorders with a pioneering implant that helps patients get a better night’s rest.

The procedure involves implanting a small device in the chest of people with sleep apnoea to prevent their breathing stopping and starting hundreds of times while they are asleep.

Doctors estimate that 1.5 million Britons have sleep apnoea, though 85% of them are thought to have not been diagnosed and so are not receiving treatment. The condition leaves people tired, cranky and susceptible to accidents and can increase the long-term risk of a stroke and heart disease.

Guy’s and St Thomas’ (GSTT) health trust in London has become the first NHS care provider to use the device. International studies have shown it is highly effective in relieving sleep apnoea’s debilitating symptoms, which can include low libido and mental ill-health"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jan/28/nhs-begins-treating-sleep-apnoea-with-pioneering-chest-implant

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 1:14 pm

Do you have sleep apnea

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 2:00 pm

babybird wrote:
Do you have sleep apnea

I do.

I only got diagnosed a few years ago after I suggested to a GP that I might have some kind of disorder related to being sleepy. I was dog tired all of the time, so I use CPAP now, but it is uncomfortable to use all of the time.

I was referred to a sleep clinic and the first thing they investigated was sleep apnoea and sure enough I have it.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 2:14 pm

Wow

Are you gonna look into this treatment for yourself

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 2:19 pm

babybird wrote:
Wow

Are you gonna look into this treatment for yourself

Well, there are two types of sleep apnoea - and this treatment does treat mine, so I am eligible.

I don't think it is widely available on the NHS yet.

The article I posted is a year old and back in 2023, only the first three patients (in the UK) had the chest implant. So I imagine it'll be available within a few years.

I will continue using CPAP in the meantime.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 2:27 pm

Oh well fingers crossed for you then

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 2:32 pm

babybird wrote:
Oh well fingers crossed for you then

Thank you, BB. :flower: