Why aren't we prescribed videos of cute animals ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2024, 2:46 pm

I love animals and have been since I was a kid and I sometimes come across videos of cute cats, dogs, otters and other animals and they do bring a smile to my face. I have only just wondered maybe why doctors and therapists don't suggest looking at those videos, pictures and things to help with their mental health struggles, depression and so on.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2024, 3:51 pm

Probably because a lot of people would be offended to be prescribed 30 minutes of cute floofs per day.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 9:55 am

Not everyone can regulate their cute videos and pictures intake... :mrgreen:
Also just as risky to introduce someone with another addiction.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 10:04 am

I'm not an addict. I can quit whenever I like. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 12:21 pm

Cats are awesome.

I like them more than dogs.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 12:34 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I love animals and have been since I was a kid and I sometimes come across videos of cute cats, dogs, otters and other animals and they do bring a smile to my face. I have only just wondered maybe why doctors and therapists don't suggest looking at those videos, pictures and things to help with their mental health struggles, depression and so on.

You could always self medicate

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 12:56 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm not an addict. I can quit whenever I like. :oops:

Lies. :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Humans are addicted to neoteny.
Obsessed even. And it's EVERYWHERE.

I highly, highly doubt you or anyone is not addicted.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 3:22 am

Probably because there hasn't been a medical study done to prove the benefits and so it wouldn't be considered prescribe-able because there are no (medically) known benefits.

That doesn't mean they couldn't be, though. Seriously. Some researcher could measure the effects of people viewing that sort of content vs. a control group that doesn't. I'm sure some nerds already have various methods of measuring mood, depression, anxiety, calm, happy blah blah etc and things could be remeasured after X minutes of exposure to floof content.

There was a medical study done on a Book and its effect on depression/mood. It is a bit of a clinical read and has self help exercises. (Feeling Good by Dr. David Burns) They proved in the study that reading the book and doing the exercises was EQUALLY effective at treating depression as taking antidepressant medication. If a study can be conducted and measure and prove changes from reading a book and doing exercises, then they can measure all the same things from watching floof videos. Or anything else, really.. buy Medical Doctors tend not to prescribe anything that hasn't been Proven effective. So, someone has to do the work to prove its efficacy before it can possibly be prescribed.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 3:29 pm

Of course the shrinks aren't going to suggest we look at photos or videos of cute fluffy animals. They would much rather make money by forcing pills down our throats that make our symptoms a lot worse and give us horrible side effects. They're just plain evil and have no empathy. Bunch of freaking quacks. :x

Speaking of quacks, here's a video with the *good* kind. :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 3:46 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Of course the shrinks aren't going to suggest we look at photos or videos of cute fluffy animals. They would much rather make money by forcing pills down our throats that make our symptoms a lot worse and give us horrible side effects. They're just plain evil and have no empathy. Bunch of freaking quacks. :x

You sound like a Scientologist. :lol:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 11:59 am

I'm not a scientologist, I just had horrible experiences with psychiatric medications, several of which aren't even used anymore because the side effects and other dangers are so bad, and having to stay in a mental ward while my anxiety was through the roof, while spending half my life being wrongly diagnosed with schizophrenia. So you'll have to forgive me if I've lost just a tiny bit of trust towards psychiatrists.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 3:46 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I'm not a scientologist, I just had horrible experiences with psychiatric medications, several of which aren't even used anymore because the side effects and other dangers are so bad, and having to stay in a mental ward while my anxiety was through the roof, while spending half my life being wrongly diagnosed with schizophrenia. So you'll have to forgive me if I've lost just a tiny bit of trust towards psychiatrists.

It's one thing to have a degree of skepticism, but you jumped all the way to they're all quacks and just plain evil.

Catastrophizing only adds to whatever other burdens you have to deal with, but because it's something you actively do you can learn to do it less.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basi ... trophizing

I don't point this out to give you a hard time, I point this out because it's like seeing someone choosing to punch themselves in the face repeatedly. Learning to better manage those tendencies will improve your overall mental well-being.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 2:56 pm

https://animalchannel.co/giant-stingray ... 25e49f62=1