Alabama Supreme Court - Embryo is a child

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ChiefEspatier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2024, 11:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
People in America generally understand when you say "Supreme Court" you mean the United States Supreme Court. If you put "Alabama" in front of "Supreme Court" most understand it means the highest court in the state of Alabama..

I'm imagining Alabama Supreme court judge his honour Judge Cleetus Bucktooth

Nothing more beautiful than slinging casual bigotry at people eh? Especially when you're implying someone has genetic abnormalities.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 2:43 pm

^^^ The old southern stereotype was meant to represent the backwardness of thought among southerners still choose to cling to. Not mean't to be poking fun of genetic abnormalities

That conservative streak that permeates the south stems from a rigid adherence to "old ways" that is dangerous.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 6:04 pm

An explosive device detonated outside the Alabama attorney general's office over the weekend

Quote:
Authorities in Alabama are investigating after an explosive device detonated over the weekend outside the office of state Attorney General Steve Marshall.

The explosion happened a day after Marshall’s office said he had no plans to prosecute IVF providers or families following an Alabama Supreme Court ruling that said embryos are people.

In a statement Monday, Marshall said the explosive device went off early Saturday in Montgomery.

“Thankfully, no staff or personnel were injured by the explosion," he said. "The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency will be leading the investigation, and we are urging anyone with information to contact them immediately.”

Marshall's office declined to comment further about the explosion, directing questions Monday to the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency. A spokesperson for the agency did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 6:14 pm

What about infertile women in Alabama who want children, but want to use a surrogate instead of adoption?

Would she and the surrogate both be charged with murder if the surrogate has a miscarriage?

People don't like being caught off-guard.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 2:31 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
What about infertile women in Alabama who want children, but want to use a surrogate instead of adoption?

Would she and the surrogate both be charged with murder if the surrogate has a miscarriage?

People don't like being caught off-guard.

I imagine the conservative legislators would enable inquisitorial action and charge all of them with aiding and abetting murder then have them flayed with a cat of 9 tails, dunked into a nearby river where they can choose between drowning or burning at the stake for their actions. This seems to be the type of America conservative christians want.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 3:12 am

cyberdad wrote:
^^^ The old southern stereotype was meant to represent the backwardness of thought among southerners still choose to cling to. Not mean't to be poking fun of genetic abnormalities

That conservative streak that permeates the south stems from a rigid adherence to "old ways" that is dangerous.

And there's only one "e" in "Cletus".

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 3:55 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

And there's only one "e" in "Cletus".

How many "e"s in Yeeha!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 9:08 pm

I agree with the Alabama Supreme Court. An embryo is a child. It's a human being from the second of conception. It's not a monkey, tiger or a cat. It's a human being. A tiny, living human being who should be protected from the beginning whether o not it has any type of disability.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 9:36 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I agree with the Alabama Supreme Court. An embryo is a child. It's a human being from the second of conception. It's not a monkey, tiger or a cat. It's a human being. A tiny, living human being who should be protected from the beginning whether o not it has any type of disability.

Is HeLa a person?

HeLa (/ˈhiːlɑː/) is an immortalized cell line used in scientific research. It is the oldest human cell line and one of the most commonly used. HeLa cells are durable and prolific, allowing for extensive applications in scientific study. The line is derived from cervical cancer cells taken on 8 February 1951, from Henrietta Lacks, a 31-year-old African American mother of five, after whom the line is named. Lacks died of cancer on 4 October 1951.

The cells from Lacks's cancerous cervical tumor were taken without her knowledge, which was common practice in the United States at the time. Cell biologist George Otto Gey found that they could be kept alive, and developed a cell line. Previously, cells cultured from other human cells would survive for only a few days, but cells from Lacks's tumor behaved differently.

Embryos leftover from IVF, might never be implanted, meaning at some point their fates are either staying in the freezer or being discarded. Who's responsible to provide care to them, the lab or the people who paid for them to be created?

The end result of this sort of logic is a lot of people/couples being unable to have children unless IVF procedures are radically altered.

I hope you, me and everyone else thinks of the ramifications of the stances we take on these sorts of issues rather than just the one that feels good immediately. Defining personhood one way vs. another way has significant ramifications on other moral stances. Moving personhood from birth to implantation has moral ramifications, moving it further back, to before implantation adds to that.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 10:17 pm

Alabama Legislature moves to protect IVF services after state court ruling

Quote:
Alabama lawmakers rushed to protect in vitro fertilization services Thursday after fertility clinics shut down in the wake of a state court ruling that frozen embryos are children under the state wrongful death law.

Facing public pressure to get IVF services resumed in the state, both chambers of the Alabama Legislature advanced legislation that would extend lawsuit protections to clinics. Legislators are hoping to get the measures approved by early next week while they weigh whether additional action is needed.

"This would at least keep the clinics open and the families moving forward," said bill sponsor Rep. Terri Collins, a Republican.

Republicans' proposal focused on lawsuit protections instead of attempting to address the legal status of embryos. The legislation would shield providers from prosecution and civil lawsuits related to the "damage to or death of an embryo" during IVF services.

The bills advanced with broad bipartisan support. Representatives voted 94-6 for the proposal, and state senators voted 32-0 for it.

Some Republicans said they want to consider future restriction on what happens to unused embryos.

Republican Rep. Ernie Yarbrough of Trinity tried unsuccessfully to put an amendment on the bill that would prohibit clinics from intentionally discarding embryos that are unused or after genetic testing.

Republican Rep. Mark Gidley of Hokes Bluff said he wants lawmakers to consider putting regulation on fertility clinics.

A Democratic lawmaker said the state, which has a stringent abortion ban with no exceptions for rape, has spent too much time interfering with the decisions of women.

"I am so tired of folks telling me as a female in Alabama what I'm going to do with my own body. It's time that we stop this," Democratic Rep. Barbara Drummond of Mobile said. She said a woman texted her this morning asking if the state would take "custody" and responsibility of her frozen embryos if they are now considered children.

Democrats in the Alabama Senate had unsuccessfully tried to amend the bill to state that a human embryo outside a uterus can not be considered an unborn child or human being under state law. Sen. Linda Coleman-Madison, a Democrat from Birmingham, said that was the most direct way to deal with the issue. Republicans blocked the amendment from coming up for a vote.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 1:51 am

For a so called party of individual freedoms the GOP seem to be awfully intrusive when it comes to telling women what to do with their bodies :roll: