Richard Lewis dies from heart attack

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2024, 8:19 pm

Richard Lewis, revered comic and 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' star, dies at 76

Quote:
Richard Lewis, the beloved stand-up comedian and a star of "Curb Your Enthusiasm," has died, his publicist announced.

Lewis, 76, died at his home in Los Angeles after a heart attack Tuesday night, according to his publicist, Jeff Abraham.

The actor revealed in April that he had been living with Parkinson's disease.

Lewis is co-starring in the final season of Larry David's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" on HBO.

Lewis, born in Brooklyn and raised in Englewood, New Jersey, first tried his hand at stand-up in New York City in the early 1970s — alongside the likes of Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Andy Kaufman, Richard Belzer and Elayne Boosler — before making a career of it when he was discovered by comedian David Brenner. By the middle of the decade, he had already appeared on "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson."

He was immediately recognized as a dark comic, literally and figuratively, known for his all-black getups and performing frequently self-loathing sets about his neuroses and addictions.

Lewis made his TV debut with "Diary of a Young Comic," a 90-minute movie that took the place of "Saturday Night Live" on NBC in 1979, but really rose to prominence with his continued late-night appearances during the '80s and '90s.

He became a veritable rock star of the comedy world in those decades, starring in multiple stand-up specials on Showtime and HBO, while making high-profile appearances on specials such as the Comic Relief charitable fundraisers.

He starred alongside Jamie Lee Curtis in the sitcom "Anything but Love," which aired from 1988 to 1992, before landing roles in a few short-lived sitcoms and movies throughout the late '80s and early '90s.

In 2000, Lewis became a staple on "Curb Your Enthusiasm," playing a dramatized version of himself in the same vein as star and creator Larry David.

The show, airing now in what David claims to be the final season, features Lewis as his same curmudgeonly character who often hits the golf course with David. A season five storyline even featured David donating a kidney to Lewis.

David and Lewis go way back. The pair were born days apart at a Brooklyn hospital, but officially met for the first time at a summer camp when they were 12.

Lewis has said he and David hated each other as teens, but reconciled when meeting as adults in the New York comedy scene.

"We were arch-rivals as teenagers at a summer sports camp. Our issues started at birth," Lewis told New Jersey Monthly in a 2015 interview. "I’m convinced that Larry tried to strangle me with my mother’s umbilical cord."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 9:04 pm

He's brought joy to a lot of people. RIP :cry: